Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, Non Villages Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-non-villages-discussion-93/)
-   -   Do you have a NY EZPass and a FL Sunpass? (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-non-villages-discussion-93/do-you-have-ny-ezpass-fl-sunpass-298984/)

Wiserbud47 10-12-2019 02:04 PM

Do you have a NY EZPass and a FL Sunpass?

I have a NY EZPass and a FL SunPass and had both on my windshield. As I was traveling to Disney on 429 I went "through" the toll plaza near Independence. When I got home I noted that I was charged the toll on BOTH devices. I contacted NY EZPass and they told me that they now are now accepted on 429 and other road surrounding Orlando. They told me I must only have one pass on my windshield or I will be charged on both. They sent me a small aluminum covered pouch to keep the EZPass in so it can't be read at the toll plaza.

I learned a lesson and thought you might learn from my experience.

Nucky 10-12-2019 02:13 PM

I hear ya. The same thing happened to me. The only difference was the NY/NJ device was in the Glove Compartment but not in the Protective Wrapper. I surrendered the device last time we were up north.

Sunpass is just great.

Villageswimmer 10-12-2019 02:35 PM

I wrapped my ez pass in a double layer of aluminum foil and keep it in the glove box for when we travel out of Florida.

asianthree 10-12-2019 04:18 PM

All the way to Disney last week the read out at toll booths said no sun pass. After 2 times, we stopped at booth and asked, she said it registered on her screen as active, removing the toll from our account. My sunpass came with a pouch for travel. Once we got home online it showed all tolls were there.FL Sunpass is looking into it.

JoMar 10-12-2019 05:06 PM

We also have both, once a year we travel extensively in EZ Pass land so the SunPass stays in the house, the EZ Pass is on the windshield. When we return we swap. Have yet to see a reason to carry both in the car.

tophcfa 10-12-2019 05:54 PM

Last spring I flew to Orlando and brought my sun pass because I needed it in Florida and wanted it for the return trip when I was driving our Florida car up north for the summer. I had the sun pass in my duffle bag under the seat in the shuttle from MCO to the Villages and got charged for the tools while on the shuttle. I now have a bag to store the sun pass in so it won't register when I am on the shuttle.

OrangeBlossomBaby 10-12-2019 06:25 PM

This is great to know. We have the Delaware EZ Pass and haven't yet gotten a SunPass.

Thanks for the info, it'll be very useful soon!

B-flat 10-12-2019 07:22 PM

I have an EZ Pass from Rhode Island and also had a Sun Pass, somewhere along the line I read EZ pass could be used in Florida. I de-registered the Sun Pass. What a raw deal riding the shuttle and still being charged because it was in your duffle bag.

JoMar 10-12-2019 08:07 PM

I think EZ Pass is only accepted on the CFX toll roads around Orlando. If you travel on FDOT toll roads you will be billed to your plate which is a higher toll then using SUNPASS. Could be wrong but if anyone knows more please help.

rjm1cc 10-12-2019 10:09 PM

Yes you have to use only one of them.

stan the man 10-13-2019 07:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoMar (Post 1688178)
I think EZ Pass is only accepted on the CFX toll roads around Orlando. If you travel on FDOT toll roads you will be billed to your plate which is a higher toll then using SUNPASS. Could be wrong but if anyone knows more please help.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rjm1cc (Post 1688195)
Yes you have to use only one of them.

Answer to question not asked??????

SIRE1 10-13-2019 08:00 AM

After reading some of these comments, I think maybe I should get one of those bags that keeps my Sun Pass or EZ pass from being read.
Does anyone know where I can get one, and is there a cost?

tophcfa 10-13-2019 08:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SIRE1 (Post 1688216)
After reading some of these comments, I think maybe I should get one of those bags that keeps my Sun Pass or EZ pass from being read.
Does anyone know where I can get one, and is there a cost?

I called Sun Pass and the sent me one for free.

NeilV1 10-13-2019 08:53 AM

Look at E-pass Xtra from Central Florida Expressway Authority. Works everywhere in Fl and all the way north to Maine and west to Illinois, everywhere EZ Pass works.

Bobcuse 10-13-2019 09:01 AM

I just got an E-Z Pass for NY when up there twice/year (use on Pa Turnpike also where Sunpass not accepted) because Sunpass doesn't work there but thought E-Z Pass didn't work in Florida
. Thank you for the post because my Sunpass is a sticker and I would have been double charged also. I will keep E-Z Pass in the garage until I go north.