Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Restaurant Discussions (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/restaurant-discussions-90/)
-   -   McDonalds vs Culvers (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/restaurant-discussions-90/mcdonalds-vs-culvers-299046/)

BK001 10-14-2019 05:20 PM

McDonalds vs Culvers

The other day, out-of-the-blue, DH, said "I'm in the mood for a Big Mac". Being the loving and devoted wife that I am I said: "Ewww, how can you eat that dogfood?" Sheepishly he said, well I've been seeing their commercials and since it's been about 10 or 15 years since we've been there ...

So I went out and got 2 Big Macs and a Fish sandwich and Fries. I then doubled back to Culver's and got a double cheeseburger with everything and a Fish sandwich and Fries.

We did a taste testing.

The Big Mac has the bottom bun, a burger, another piece of bread, then another burger and the rest of the stuff, followed by the top of the bun. The Culver's had only 2 pieces of bread (an improvement imho) yet it stood tall and proud next to the Big Mac.

We both tasted -- the Culver's burger was head and shoulders better, in our opinion.

The Fish Sandwich from McD's didn't stand a chance against the Culver's. Culvers beat it out by a mile both in looks and in taste.

As far as the fries, I think McD's was somewhat better -- but only somewhat. Of course it's not a fair comparison since the fries at McD's are similar to shoestring style while the Culver's are crinkle cut. Still I think McD's was at least 10% tastier.

I am NOT a fan of fast food but at least I can enjoy Culver's without feeling nauseous afterwards which had always happened to me after eating McDonald's. Plus Culver's has Cement Mixers (or is it Concrete Mixers?) -- regardless it's ice cream heaven - damn you Nucky for turning me on to this.

Now that he got it out of his system, DH said he'll be happy to retry McD's in another 10 or 15 years. LOL

Fredster 10-14-2019 05:27 PM

Question...was the food carry out,
and did you do the taste test at home?

BK001 10-14-2019 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fredster (Post 1688623)
Question...was the food carry out,
and did you do the taste test at home?

Yes, got both orders at the drive through and brought them home.

retiredguy123 10-14-2019 05:57 PM

You should have got the Egg McMuffin. That is the best thing sold at McDonald's. If you want a burger, go to Burger King and get a Whooper. If you want chili, go to Wendy's. If you want tacos, go to Taco Bell. You just need to know how to shop. I don't like anything at Culver's.

Fredster 10-14-2019 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BK001 (Post 1688625)
Yes, got both orders at the drive through and brought them home.

It’s been my experience that burgers and fries wherever they come,
from tend lose a bit of pizzazz while traveling!
Had a burger and fries in Culver’s last week, and I think their both better than Mc D’s!

Chatbrat 10-14-2019 06:09 PM

Why even think of eating this fast food junk--don't get it-it isn't rocket science to cook better food @ home--if you're looking for bargain basement food go to Sam's -they're food can't be beat

Fredster 10-14-2019 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by retiredguy123 (Post 1688626)
You should have got the Egg McMuffin. That is the best thing sold at McDonald's. If you want a burger, go to Burger King and get a Whooper. If you want chili, go to Wendy's. If you want tacos, go to Taco Bell. You just need to know how to shop. I don't like anything at Culver's.

Burger King on Wedgewood is unkempt, and whopper is poor quality,
I agree Wendy’s chili is very good, but I would go to the Mexican restaurant in Colony plaza for a decent taco!
Different strokes, for different folks!

Fredster 10-14-2019 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chatbrat (Post 1688630)
Why even think of eating this fast food junk--don't get it-it isn't rocket science to cook better food @ home--if you're looking for bargain basement food go to Sam's -they're food can't be beat

As I said, different strokes, for different folks!
“Variety is the spice of life”

Aces4 10-14-2019 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by retiredguy123 (Post 1688626)

Taste is definitely subjective. I find egg McMuffins chewy and dry, I don’t like anything at Burger King and I don’t care for the maintenance at Wendy’s and Taco Bell. I really like Culver’s service, cleanliness and food.

But it’s a good thing we all don’t like the same thing or we’d all be sitting in each other’s lap for lunch:icon_wink:

Chatbrat 10-14-2019 06:25 PM

After my knee jerk reaction-go to Wawa & get a pretzel; melt--OMG

Nucky 10-14-2019 06:42 PM

I am NOT a fan of fast food but at least I can enjoy Culver's without feeling nauseous afterwards which had always happened to me after eating McDonald's. Plus Culver's has Cement Mixers (or is it Concrete Mixers?) -- regardless it's ice cream heaven - damn you Nucky for turning me on to this. This was from BK.

The Hot Spot Has Changed BK. Culvers is great news and a nice place but WAWA IS THE NEW BOMB! I have Wawa on Da Brain!

asianthree 10-14-2019 06:44 PM

We Didn’t eat fast food growing up. As we got older there were mom & pop restaurants that food was homemade. Turn off at Culver’s is while better, the sodium and calorie count on anything.

But if you grew up eating fast food, I get it. While we have income to buy food wherever we want, I would rather spend it on quality, not quantity.

Challenger 10-14-2019 07:15 PM

Quarte pounder with cheese is good . Fries are the best. Egg Mcmuffin, Sausage egg and cheese biscuit. IMHO hard to beat items .

Like Culvers. Clean well trained employees . Burgers good but a bit overated.

Fredster 10-14-2019 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by asianthree (Post 1688643)
We Didn’t eat fast food growing up. As we got older there were mom & pop restaurants that food was homemade. Turn off at Culver’s is while better, the sodium and calorie count on anything.

But if you grew up eating fast food, I get it. While we have income to buy food wherever we want, I would rather spend it on quality, not quantity.

Seems this thread is about comparing McD’s to Culver's food taste,
and not about wether you like fast food or not!

BK001 10-14-2019 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nucky (Post 1688642)
The Hot Spot Has Changed BK. Culvers is great news and a nice place but WAWA IS THE NEW BOMB! I have Wawa on Da Brain!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chatbrat (Post 1688635)
After my knee jerk reaction-go to Wawa & get a pretzel; melt--OMG

I thought we had our "fast-food" quota for the next 10 years settled. But after both of you, I feel I would not be a good neighbor and Villager if I didn't try WaWa after such glowing endorsements.
So it's a pretzel melt according to CB and I wonder what the Nuckster (or anyone else) recommends from WaWa?