Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, Non Villages Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-non-villages-discussion-93/)
-   -   Dear moderator let's debate, pleeeze (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-non-villages-discussion-93/dear-moderator-lets-debate-pleeeze-299140/)

jebartle 10-17-2019 02:00 PM

Dear moderator let's debate, pleeeze

I know, I know, you have made it "perfectly clear" that we have not been good girls and boys when discussing "_olitics", but if we promise to put our big boy pants on and debate like we did in high school because in the next year there are so many important issues that all posters could discover FACTS that have eluded all of us. Let's debate without profanity or personal attacks. I know, back in the day, our debate club would have our butt beat! So what do you say?????

Two Bills 10-17-2019 02:16 PM

The state of US politics at the moment, like our own here in UK, are so divided and partisan, the words 'reasonable debate' have been discontinued for the forseeable future.

JimJohnson 10-17-2019 02:20 PM

Please moderator do not allow the return of THAT FORUM!!! TOTV is a much nicer place and is a very useful source of information like it is now.

JimJohnson 10-17-2019 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Two Bills (Post 1689258)
The state of US politics at the moment, like our own here in UK, are so divided and partisan, the words 'reasonable debate' have been discontinued for the forseeable future.

Bingo!

kansasr 10-17-2019 05:10 PM

A thousand NO's ! Talk of The Villages is a much more pleasant place these days.

billethkid 10-17-2019 06:05 PM

To each his own. I for one favor being able to discuss those things going on in the world that have or will affect our lives.

Yes there will always be a loose cannon or two.

And unfortunately the forum and the majority of it's participants are tarred and tainted by the few.

Amazing how that works.

Yes let's have a spot to discuss world shaking events. Opt in.
Mis-behave get booted out.

If one opts in....they are not entitled to go back to the regular forum and complain about the content.

saratogaman 10-17-2019 06:13 PM

Those who want a "political' blog should create their own and not again poison this one. Most of us are not interested in the noisy, childish nonsense that permeated this blog before. We've learned our lesson. We have moved on.

billethkid 10-17-2019 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saratogaman (Post 1689303)
Those who want a "political' blog should create their own and not again poison this one. Most of us are not interested in the noisy, childish nonsense that permeated this blog before. We've learned our lesson. We have moved on.

Unfair condemnation of the majority who did it correctly.

Taltarzac725 10-17-2019 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by billethkid (Post 1689306)
Unfair condemnation of the majority who did it correctly.

Most of us behaved most of the time. It just got so full of cyber bullies who are a huge problem for the Internet. And these people on that other Forum would post a very large number of vicious personal attacks on their targets. And this was a daily occurrence.

Northwoods 10-17-2019 07:18 PM

I think an "intelligent" civil discussion of political events would be a good thing. But, like the many lawn ornaments in people's lawns, some people just don't think they have to play by the rules....

Tweety Bird 10-17-2019 08:03 PM

This whole “debate thing” could turn ugly

Nucky 10-17-2019 08:15 PM

Although I really like the OP'S request and was just thinking about this same issue myself I don't think it would last more than the first 10 pages before it turned bad.

Do you remember how bad it really was? Do You? There is still a hangover of bad will from the old days. People who can't let anything but there point of view be highlighted. Many of the Grudges and Shots you see are based on the Thread That Was.

I do like the idea of give and take and being tolerant of the other person's views. Maybe I, or we could learn something.

That Forum has been gone for several years and although our Forum is a nicer place people still jab at each other based on what they know about other people's political beliefs from the old days.

So, in conclusion, I believe in a short period of time no matter what side you support all I see is it evolving into a Viper Pit in a short period of time. Great thought but the

reality is not good. I give the OP a lot of credit for the idea. Good Job!

graciegirl 10-17-2019 08:36 PM

It can't be a fair debate ever with the overwhelming majority of one party living here. That further fuels the anger and frustration for the minority party and things would go south quick.

OrangeBlossomBaby 10-17-2019 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by graciegirl (Post 1689331)
It can't be a fair debate ever with the overwhelming majority of one party living here. That further fuels the anger and frustration for the minority party and things would go south quick.

Anger and frustration for the minority party, and all other parties, including the unaffiliated. Not all of us have embraced one particular party over the other and prefer to participate in our duty to vote as independents.

anothersteve 10-17-2019 08:52 PM

Look back.........who always starts the attacks, even when a "discussion" starts off seemingly innocent. There are a few here that are ripe with their condescending and holier than tho attitude and thoughts. Political "discussions" will always go over as well as fart in church here.
Steve