Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Explosion/ this morning ? (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/explosion-morning-299156/)

Darlene Lansing 10-18-2019 09:49 AM

Explosion/ this morning ?

What the heck happened this morning about 8am ?
Our Whole house shook -
At first we thought it came from up above , but the ‘real feel’ was
Top to Bottom shaking .
Hope to find an answer ??!!!!!!

JSR22 10-18-2019 09:50 AM

What Village?

Chatbrat 10-18-2019 09:52 AM

Pickled eggs & beans--no need for Roto-Rooter

EdFNJ 10-18-2019 09:52 AM

Sounded to me like a sonic boom from an aircraft. I thought a tree fell on our roof except for the fact there are no trees around me. :D Someone suggested it might have been a bomb drop test in Ocala forest but IMO that was too "sharp" a boom to be from that distance. That would have been more echoy from that distance like far away thunder. I'm going to go with sonic boom for now but don't really know. It WAS loud and it shook our house.

EdFNJ 10-18-2019 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JSR22 (Post 1689411)
What Village?

Many places at least south of 466. Reported on Nextdoor all over.

JoMar 10-18-2019 10:30 AM

The Navy is conducting bombing exercises in Ocala National Forest this weekend. It's been on the news for the last couple days. This happens several times a year.

Altavia 10-18-2019 12:09 PM

Felt it in Pine Ridge.

Similar to a Sonic boom.

graciegirl 10-18-2019 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EdFNJ (Post 1689413)
Sounded to me like a sonic boom from an aircraft. I thought a tree fell on our roof except for the fact there are no trees around me. :D Someone suggested it might have been a bomb drop test in Ocala forest but IMO that was too "sharp" a boom to be from that distance. That would have been more echoy from that distance like far away thunder. I'm going to go with sonic boom for now but don't really know. It WAS loud and it shook our house.

Every year about this time and it often coincides with a hunting season, Duck?

JC and John 10-18-2019 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EdFNJ (Post 1689415)
Many places at least south of 466. Reported on Nextdoor all over.

We didn’t feel or hear anything here in Sanibel near Bonifay CC.

NotGolfer 10-18-2019 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EdFNJ (Post 1689413)

It sounded around 8:00 at our house too (next door neighbor heard it as well). It sounded close and not far away, as when the bombing happens. Our house shook too. We thought it sounded like a very loud gun or something similar.

Polar Bear 10-18-2019 04:53 PM

Easily heard in Mallory at 7:55am.

600th Photo Sq 10-18-2019 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darlene Lansing (Post 1689410)
What the heck happened this morning about 8am ?
Our Whole house shook -
At first we thought it came from up above , but the ‘real feel’ was
Top to Bottom shaking .
Hope to find an answer ??!!!!!!

Relax it is the US Navy doing its practice bombing runs. Go back to sleep everything is under control. :doggie:

Two Bills 10-19-2019 03:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 600th Photo Sq (Post 1689539)
Relax it is the US Navy doing its practice bombing runs. Go back to sleep everything is under control. :doggie:

I don't know. The Scuttlebutt is, the missile was aimed at the Jacksonville Range Complex, but they missed. :shocked:

Keep your head down!!

NotGolfer 10-19-2019 08:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 600th Photo Sq (Post 1689539)

It sounded way too close to be from that and only heard a single one. I've heard the bombing in the past but they're more distant and didn't rattle the house. Sounded like it was over-head so "maybe" a sonic boom. Funny thing is...some folks heard it and others didn't....in the same neighborhoods.

EdFNJ 10-19-2019 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NotGolfer (Post 1689575)
It sounded way too close to be from that and only heard a single one. I've heard the bombing in the past but they're more distant and didn't rattle the house. Sounded like it was over-head so "maybe" a sonic boom. Funny thing is...some folks heard it and others didn't....in the same neighborhoods.

Agreed. And if the timing was right at that hour they may have thought it was, cough, fireworks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Velvet 10-19-2019 02:27 PM

Someone should be able to check officially what caused the sound and shaking of the homes. If for no other reason, in order to put peoples’ minds at ease. Joking around when someone is worried, is not kind.

Topspinmo 10-19-2019 02:38 PM

Quarry blasting?

Bogie Shooter 10-19-2019 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Velvet (Post 1689689)
Someone should be able to check officially what caused the sound and shaking of the homes. If for no other reason, in order to put peoples’ minds at ease. Joking around when someone is worried, is not kind.

Now who would that be?

Velvet 10-19-2019 03:07 PM

That’s what I’m wondering too. If I was there you know I’d visit every office till I found out, at least what they think. And check everything else out too.
When I was at Atwood Bungalows there was a morning blast but it was no biggie. However, I knew what had happened. With the fear of sinkholes etc it’s nice to know that it is only a regulated blast.

Bogie Shooter 10-19-2019 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Velvet (Post 1689698)
That’s what I’m wondering too. If I was there you know I’d visit every office till I found out, at least what they think. And check everything else out too.
When I was at Atwood Bungalows there was a morning blast but it was no biggie. However, I knew what had happened. With the fear of sinkholes etc it’s nice to know that it is only a regulated blast.

Usually sinkholes are quiet.:duck:

Velvet 10-19-2019 05:36 PM

Well then that would rule them out.