Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Nesting birds? (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/nesting-birds-299219/)

laryb 10-19-2019 05:33 PM

Nesting birds?

1 Attachment(s)
When leaving the house earlier this afternoon, I noticed the small bird next to the front of the house on the river rocks. I reached down to see if it would move, and it might’ve jumped a couple of feet. I periodically went outside to see what it was doing, and it was just sitting beneath the fronds of my European palm. A couple of hours later, I noticed that another bird was with it. Does anybody know what type of birds these are, and if they are nesting, or is one of them in distress? I’m a city boy and don’t know much about birds. I assume they must be mates

bagboy 10-19-2019 07:38 PM

They are Killdeers and I think they take turns sitting on the eggs.
2nd look they might not be

Topspinmo 10-19-2019 09:10 PM

Looks like doves to me, I see them occasionally in my yard. They stay close or under bushes to keep out of hawks site. You can get close to them before they flush. Dove’s usually nest in bushes or trees, I doubt they are nesting on the ground. Killdeer’s have different pattern and more whites aNd they nest right in the open on the ground with little or no nesting material. Goggle common ground doves.

raynan 10-20-2019 08:16 AM

We had a killdeer nest at the end of our street next to the street curb on golf course side. The bird was always on the nest and was not disturbed by golf carts going by. Someone put sticks encircling the nest about a foot away from the nest so it wouldn't get run over by lawn mowers. We all enjoyed watching the mom daily. Google kildeers and the nesting process is very interesting.

cordenny 10-20-2019 08:39 AM

Mourning Doves

1 Attachment(s)
We always have a family of Mourning Doves make a nest in our Robellini tree. I just took a picture of the babies ready to leave the nest. They were gone this morning.

n8xwb 10-20-2019 11:51 AM

they are neither killdeer nor doves. they are night hawks.

Topspinmo 10-20-2019 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by n8xwb (Post 1689840)
they are neither killdeer nor doves. they are night hawks.

Wrong

n8xwb 10-20-2019 05:08 PM

sorry, spelling wrong... they are nighthawks!

Velvet 10-20-2019 05:14 PM

Whatever they are, they are good looking. And I am going to ask permission to paint them?

anothersteve 10-20-2019 05:40 PM

Doves

mourning dove - Google Search

Steve

Topspinmo 10-20-2019 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by anothersteve (Post 1689908)

Too short tail and feather pattern don’t match morning doves, plus they are smaller. Common ground doves IMO.

Velvet 10-21-2019 12:15 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Looks similar but not quite, to the zebra dove. These birds may not get out of your way, will look at you accusingly if you step on its tail by mistake.

laryb 10-21-2019 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Velvet (Post 1689906)
Whatever they are, they are good looking. And I am going to ask permission to paint them?

If you're asking me for permission, absolutely yes

Velvet 10-21-2019 02:49 PM

Thank you. I find birds so endearing to paint. But someone else’s photograph needs permission.

n8xwb 10-21-2019 05:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Unfortunately your photo isn't very clear/large. Killdeer have white stripes around their neck. Mourning Doves do not generally nest on bare ground. Night Hawks (they are not hawks) do nest on bare ground. In fact, after the eggs hatch, the adult destroys the nest completely and disposes of the eggshells to protect the young from discovery by predators. They are common here in The Villages. I've attached a photo ... does your birds look like it??