Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Gate Passes (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/gate-passes-299248/)

Chatbrat 10-21-2019 05:40 AM

Gate Passes

Its about time that our gate passes get caught up with the 21st century--magnetic cards were good in the 1980's; but today there are way better alternatives.

Bar codes, or synch to your garage door opener or your car's "homelink"

Its a real pleasure to subject your clothing and your car's interior to a deluge to swipe apiece of plastic which has "ZERO" security associate with it

graciegirl 10-21-2019 06:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chatbrat (Post 1689979)
Its about time that our gate passes get caught up with the 21st century--magnetic cards were good in the 1980's; but today there are way better alternatives.

Bar codes, or synch to your garage door opener or your car's "homelink"

Its a real pleasure to subject your clothing and your car's interior to a deluge to swipe apiece of plastic which has "ZERO" security associate with it

We have lived here for fourteen years and never once felt opening our window to stick out our pass when it was raining was worth noting.

BUT I disdain using an umbrella. It is warm when it rains here. I have never known clothes or a car's interior to be harmed by a little rain from rolling down your window for a few seconds.

The gates are there to slow traffic so golf carts can pass, they are not there for "security" or showing off we live in a truly gated community.

Fredman 10-21-2019 06:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by graciegirl (Post 1689987)
We have lived here for fourteen years and never once felt opening our window to stick out our pass when it was raining was worth noting.

BUT I disdain using an umbrella. It is warm when it rains here. I have never known clothes or a car's interior to be harmed by a little rain from rolling down your window for a few seconds.

The gates are there to slow traffic so golf carts can pass, they are not there for "security" or showing off we live in a truly gated community.

You tell it like it is

Steve CT 10-21-2019 06:35 AM

The OPs comment was to automate the gate opening...not remove the gates. That's what I thought I read.

bonrich 10-21-2019 06:38 AM

We do not live in a "gated community", we live in a community with gates.

rjn5656 10-21-2019 07:11 AM

sticker on car/cart would be great

Chatbrat 10-21-2019 07:14 AM

Must agree, this way , when a gate arm the "CART" could be Id'd

bilcon 10-21-2019 07:26 AM

Years ago, when we had a torrential downpour, they would raise the gates until it was over. I know that at the St. Charles gate, I can hold my card up to my closed window and it works, and yes, I have tinted windows. Should be like that everywhere.

OhioViper 10-21-2019 08:41 AM

It does seem the system is outdated. If the card worked from inside your car that would be great. Unfortunately ours doesn’t.

BobnBev 10-21-2019 08:50 AM

It all comes down to $$$$$$$. The developer isn't going to pay to make life easier for you.:ohdear:

Altavia 10-21-2019 08:51 AM

Maybe something is wrong with my card but the driver of my Bentley needs to lean way out the window for it to work :)

I'd like to see a more modern implementation for gate access but considering the cost at this point to upgrade, recognize what we have is just part of the charm of living in The Villages.

Chatbrat 10-21-2019 08:51 AM

I does work it some cars, but, all car glass is not equal, especially if your car has sound deadening glass

anothersteve 10-21-2019 08:59 AM

I don't understand the problem. Is it the trouble of lowering your power windows or the massive energy it takes to stick your hand out with card in hand?

Steve

Chatbrat 10-21-2019 09:24 AM

Getting clothing wet and water spotting the interior of your car, also if you have ventilated seats you don't water getting into the seat vents

Chatbrat 10-21-2019 09:42 AM

Just a thought when you go thru a manned gate, the operator presses a hand held device-this means that device could be paired with your car or your garage door opener-zero cost to the developer- used to do it in a community I lived in NC