Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, Non Villages Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-non-villages-discussion-93/)
-   -   Do you believe the news? (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-non-villages-discussion-93/do-you-believe-news-299311/)

Bay Kid 10-23-2019 07:24 AM

Do you believe the news?

I find it harder everyday to watch any news. I have lost my trust in most things they report. Is this just me?

rustyp 10-23-2019 07:27 AM

An easy solution - don't watch the news.

anothersteve 10-23-2019 07:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bay Kid (Post 1690553)
I find it harder everyday to watch any news. I have lost my trust in most things they report. Is this just me?

Nope.
Steve

Madelaine Amee 10-23-2019 07:35 AM

I am limiting myself. Can no longer watch a news program just before bed.

Blessed2BNTV 10-23-2019 07:36 AM

I now watch less and less “news”. It’s ugly and nasty from all sides.

eweissenbach 10-23-2019 07:40 AM

I think that most real journalists report the news accurately. The reason many people distrust the truth in the news is because of the distortions and outright untruths that some people spread to further their own agenda and sow seeds of doubt about the truth.

l2ridehd 10-23-2019 07:51 AM

I gave up a couple years ago. So much opinion vs news. Newspapers, TV, even the internet. Most things I see or read turn out to be wrong. What ever happened to reporting facts? Our forth estate has become a bunch of liars. They will take information out of contexts just to make a story and report it as fact. So sad.

I remember 60 minutes maybe 20 years ago did a story on the nuclear power industry and focused on IL power. The company did a rebuttal and showed the statements the company official made and what 60 minutes published. They would take a statement made and actually delete words from it and make a new sentence. Changing the intent 180 degrees just to make their story. I just don't get how trained reporters can do such blatant lying? They did the exact same thing to Caterpillar tractor. I thought it was just 60 minutes so stopped watching them.

But slowly learned it was all news reporting. They will show you one picture of storm damage and make you believe that it is representative of an entire area. So they have moved the lies into all areas of reporting.

billethkid 10-23-2019 08:04 AM

They all have an owners, political, agenda, special interest or focus of their own.
News is reported, or not, accordingly.
I prefer various on line news sources, foreign and domestic where I can pick, choose, sort what I want to read or not.
Hence it is what I want not what the networks and lettered news is promoting.

manaboutown 10-23-2019 08:05 AM

Weather Channel Reporter FAKES HIGH WINDS While Two People Walk By FINE - YouTube

Not even the weather news!

billethkid 10-23-2019 08:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by manaboutown (Post 1690575)

Perfect example of the current credibility (lack thereof!!) of reporting.

jebartle 10-23-2019 08:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by l2ridehd (Post 1690565)
I gave up a couple years ago. So much opinion vs news. Newspapers, TV, even the internet. Most things I see or read turn out to be wrong. What ever happened to reporting facts? Our forth estate has become a bunch of liars. They will take information out of contexts just to make a story and report it as fact. So sad.

I remember 60 minutes maybe 20 years ago did a story on the nuclear power industry and focused on IL power. The company did a rebuttal and showed the statements the company official made and what 60 minutes published. They would take a statement made and actually delete words from it and make a new sentence. Changing the intent 180 degrees just to make their story. I just don't get how trained reporters can do such blatant lying? They did the exact same thing to Caterpillar tractor. I thought it was just 60 minutes so stopped watching them.

But slowly learned it was all news reporting. They will show you one picture of storm damage and make you believe that it is representative of an entire area. So they have moved the lies into all areas of reporting.

There is a difference between news and opinion, and sometimes the distinction is small. All news media is guilty of this, herein lies the problem.
My problem is when we find more credibility in listening to your neighbor and pass on those lies to others, or listen to OTHERS on tv that keep those lies going.

cypress 10-23-2019 08:24 AM

I just watch the local news now. I gave up on the national news shows.

karostay 10-23-2019 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blessed2BNTV (Post 1690560)
I now watch less and less “news”. It’s ugly and nasty from all sides.

There's a state on the East Coast where it's rulers have lost all reality
and dignity and have embarrassed this Country for personal gains
and enrichment

Kerry Azz 10-23-2019 08:32 AM

As the saying goes, No news is good news! Although with all the issues going on it’s probably a good idea to pay attention to what’s going on.

Nucky 10-23-2019 08:32 AM

I'm not going to stop totally I'm going to manage the amount of time I spend on the News. I let it get out of hand. Shame on me. It's not just you Baykid.

Everything is a Bombshell Report. Phooey