Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Driverless Cars (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/driverless-cars-299343/)

JoMar 10-23-2019 08:31 PM

Driverless Cars

The autonomous cars have been silent for a while. Are they still around or did that project end?

Bjeanj 10-23-2019 09:06 PM

I saw one maybe a month or so ago, but no further info.

Viperguy 10-24-2019 04:47 AM

Probably got run over in a traffic circle by someone going 50

Bay Kid 10-24-2019 07:07 AM

They are lost. Not for me. I want to talk to my driver.

Northerner52 10-24-2019 07:16 AM

Billions spend on this technology that will never be mainstream

Polar Bear 10-24-2019 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Northerner52 (Post 1690810)

Oooh. Never is a long, long time.

DAIII 10-24-2019 10:00 AM

We already have driverless cars.. that person in the car next to you looking at the floor is texting. (sadly)

Two Bills 10-24-2019 12:38 PM

Quote:

They said something like that after the Wright brothers first flew as well.

Topspinmo 10-24-2019 05:12 PM

What? There’s been many clueless driver since horse and buggy. O I’m sorry I misread driverless, I took that as clueless.:popcorn:

Marathon Man 10-24-2019 08:08 PM

Quote:

Yep. Just like home computers, mobile phones, television, airplanes, automobiles, electricity, inside plumbing ...

memason 10-25-2019 06:14 AM

There are several "partially" autonomous cars on the road today... Namely, Tesla, BMW and Cadillac. I'm sure there are others...

There are no driverless cars yet, although the Tesla comes close. The research and development has already produced many mainstream options on cars, like collision mitigation, adaptive cruise control and blindspot monitoring to name a few.

Google and Apple have been testing driverless cars for years. In my opinion, this is a technology that the public can't accept yet.

There's an old saying that says; "More than 10% new is more than the market can handle". So, give it another 10 years....

JoelJohnson 10-25-2019 07:19 AM

Something like 39,000 people get injured/die on the highways each year. Why? Mostly the drivers are distracted, drunk, texting, etc., in other words "stupid". Autonomous cars are run by programs, written by people. Yes there have been some deaths by those cars, but the program can be fixed, you can't fix stupid.

DeanFL 10-25-2019 07:37 AM

Saw a PBS "Nova" episode a few days ago. Extremely interesting/informative. Highly recommend a watch...

After years of anticipation, autonomous vehicles are now being tested on public roads around the world. As ambitious innovators race to develop what they see as the next high-tech pot of gold, some experts warn there are still daunting challenges ahead, including how to train artificial intelligence to be better than humans at making life-and-death decisions. How do self-driving cars work?
Look Who's Driving | Season 46 Episode 19 | NOVA | PBS

stan the man 10-25-2019 08:02 AM

:bigbow:
Quote:

Originally Posted by DAIII (Post 1690847)
We already have driverless cars.. that person in the car next to you looking at the floor is texting. (sadly)

Bavarian 10-25-2019 11:10 AM

The new car I just took delivery at the factory is almose semiautonoumous. When you run adaptive cruise control the Navagation system sloes down when another vehichle mowes in front or the Navigation system shows a lower speed limit. It will change lanes for you when it detects a gap in traffic. If you cross a White line without signal it will steer you back into lane.
Book said it will handle circles, but did not try it on European Roads. Will try once it gets here, Dropped it off 23 Okt. comes here late November. Not really autonoumous but much safer and will catch the deriver's mistakes. But not good with all the Stau on Autobahn. Just have to have your route programmed in the Navi.