Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Contractors and Services (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/contractors-services-91/)
-   -   Expandable staircase to garage attic (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/contractors-services-91/expandable-staircase-garage-attic-299379/)

jcvdd1 10-25-2019 02:19 PM

Expandable staircase to garage attic

Greetings-

I apologize if I'm not clear in my question, but any suggestions in obtaining an expandable / folding staircase that leads to the attic over the garage. Any suggestions on who to use and any guidance appreciated. Thanks again

mulligan 10-26-2019 02:33 PM

Fyi, before you put substantial weight in your attic, be sure the trusses are "attic trusses".

DangeloInspections 10-26-2019 03:59 PM

Just make sure whoever does this for you do a few things....

1) Manufacturer's instructions, (which supercede code) state plainly that the installer MUST use either 16D nails or 1/4"Lag screws. There are many companies installing these using drywall screws, gutter screws, etc. That is WRONG. The two main companies that make these ladders, Warner and Louisville both say this is important.

2) Make sure that the steps go up towards the peak of the home and not towards the side of the house. We often find these installed the wrong way, where when you climb up them you hit your head on the sharp roofing nails that come through the roof sheathing. This is dangerous.

We prefer the aluminum type over the wood type. Too often we see the bottom of the wood ones cut wrong....the aluminum ones are easier to install.

Sadly, we see more companies install these wrong than install these correctly. One of the companies around here who also is about the #1 company who does epoxy floors is one of the few who install them correctly. I would not name them out of respect of the vendor who has already posted here and like I, support this forum. As long as you hire someone who complies with the issues I've just posted above, you will be fine.

Hope this helps!

Frank D'Angelo

FenneyGuy 10-27-2019 06:52 AM

We used Tim Miller. He did a great job... and installed the stairs in the right direction.

jcvdd1 10-27-2019 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FenneyGuy (Post 1691418)
We used Tim Miller. He did a great job... and installed the stairs in the right direction.

Thanks
Do you have the number for Tim Miller ? Thanks

npwalters 10-27-2019 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mulligan (Post 1691318)
Fyi, before you put substantial weight in your attic, be sure the trusses are "attic trusses".

I'll bite, never heard of attic trusses. Is that really a thing for unimproved attic space?

John_W 10-27-2019 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jcvdd1 (Post 1691457)
Thanks
Do you have the number for Tim Miller ? Thanks

We also used Tim "The Toolman" Miller, but I'm pretty sure he is now specializing in garage floors only and stopped doing all the odd jobs. He is, or was, the best. I got the aluminum steps installed, plus about 100sf of plywood flooring in the attic for $290, that was a few years ago. Here's his number, but he might turn you down. I have read on this forum that his garage floors are beautiful.

Tim Miller 352-217-0561

Altavia 10-27-2019 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by npwalters (Post 1691461)
I'll bite, never heard of attic trusses. Is that really a thing for unimproved attic space?

Yes, it is a truss with an open center area and bottom structure designed to carry weight on the floor. They seem to be doing a small storage area in some of the new homes over the garage.

Attic Truss Design - YouTube

mulligan 10-28-2019 07:52 AM

Also, "attic trusses" do not have a joint in the bottom chord within the open walk thru area. Standard ar designed to carry their own weight and the weight of the ceiling material, not much more.

villagetinker 10-28-2019 08:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jcvdd1 (Post 1691078)
Greetings-

I apologize if I'm not clear in my question, but any suggestions in obtaining an expandable / folding staircase that leads to the attic over the garage. Any suggestions on who to use and any guidance appreciated. Thanks again

After reading many of the replies, I am not sure if you are getting what you want. There are typically 2 products for attic access, the first and least expensive is what looks like a folding ladder, it manually pulls down, folds out to meet the floor and has a small hand rail about 4 inches from the steps near the top section for the ladder. The second looks a lot more like an actual stairway, my understanding, much more expensive, and if i recall correctly, much larger than the ladder type requiring a larger opening in the garage ceiling.
I have seen ads for both, the ladder type is fairly easy to install, I did my own a few times (different houses), the stair type looks like you need professional installation.
Finally there is another product that is actually a small electrically operated elevator device that lowers to garage floor level for loading and unloading, then rises so the bottom is flush with the ceiling. I looked at these but they we too small for the Christmas tree storage containers.
Hope this helps.