Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Restaurant Discussions (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/restaurant-discussions-90/)
-   -   Cane Garden Restaurant (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/restaurant-discussions-90/cane-garden-restaurant-299471/)

MikeC 10-29-2019 04:49 AM

Cane Garden Restaurant

Has anyone noticed the quality of the food and service has gone down hill since the new owners took over? I used to look forward to Tuesday nights and the prime rib but no longer. The last few times the prime rib was lousy and the service matches. Over half the tables on the outdoor patio were empty but there was still a 30 minute wait. I was told they had a wasp problem. One of the waitresses told me it was a staffing problem. What are they going to do when the snowbirds arrive if they can't staff when it is slower. Also the prime rib i had was tough and chewey and not good at all. Will be looking for a new place to get my prime rib and spend Tuesday evenings.

Chatbrat 10-29-2019 05:51 AM

We used to be frequent flyers @ the Cane, booze price isn't everything--their food quality has gone way down, bar staff although competent is no longer friendly when Dan & Sandy left--the bar lost a lot of character AND when Chef Louis left the kitchen lost TASTE & quality

RalphM 10-29-2019 07:09 AM

We began visiting TV approximately 5 yrs ago. Bought a home in Buttonwood 2 yrs ago. Cane Garden became our go to dining choice while in town. It has been great for breakfast, lunch and dinner. This week we went to dinner there on Sunday evening for the turkey special (Yes we know Thanksgiving is around the corner!). Place was jammed packed, including the outdoor seating. Waiting was just 20 minutes. But as usual great conversation and laughs in the waiting area. Our waitress was Jersey. She very competent and a pleasure to to have as our server. The turkey dinner itself didn't meet our expectation, but then again it wasn't mama's recipe. However, Jersey noticed we only ate about half of it and offered a to go box for which we declined. But she knows customer service and apologized for the meal not meeting our expectations and offered us deserts to go from the menu.

This experience won't turn us off to Cane Garden. We'll just be more selective where we want to eat certain foods.

We don't know who owns Cane Garden but if it was me I would invite some customers to join a Cane Garden Focus Group of 2-3 couples to get some timely feedback. All it would cost is a little of the owners and chef's time and meal coupons.

rjn5656 10-29-2019 07:22 AM

That's too bad. It was one of the most consistent restaurants we had.

valuemkt 10-29-2019 06:58 PM

I always liked the touch of "dump cake" at the end of the Sunday turkey dinner. Went there Sunday at 4 and it was jam packed. Drove down to Evans prairie and arguably got a better turkey dinner w more dressing and tasty green bean casserole - albeit w no dump cake - if I had room for dessert Scooples was just down the road

pauld315 10-29-2019 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chatbrat (Post 1691845)
We used to be frequent flyers @ the Cane, booze price isn't everything--their food quality has gone way down, bar staff although competent is no longer friendly when Dan & Sandy left--the bar lost a lot of character AND when Chef Louis left the kitchen lost TASTE & quality

Dan is at Lopez Legacy now...great bartender

village dreamer 10-29-2019 07:07 PM

that turkey is just lunch meat , not real roosted turkey.

billethkid 10-29-2019 09:12 PM

It is what can happen when someone who doesn't know what their doing tries to fix something that ain't broke!!!!

kaydee 10-29-2019 10:25 PM

4 of us ate dinner this past Thursday & all of us were very pleased with our meals. Service was exceptional....I believe his name was either Joshua or Jeremy. Always satisfied.

Chatbrat 10-30-2019 01:52 AM

Told Dan, he was making a big mistake, giving up his gig @ the Cane, trying to manage a fast joint was akin to herding cats

Michael Charles 10-30-2019 07:32 AM

FYI chef Louis is now at the Arnold Palmer restaurant. We just saw him as we were leaving, he said he's been there 6 months now.

Chatbrat 10-30-2019 10:48 AM

Chef Louis a mgr, not a chef

Michael Charles 10-31-2019 06:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chatbrat (Post 1692189)
Chef Louis a mgr, not a chef

I stand corrected. Perhaps as a former chef I've always respected his abilities. A chef is a trained professional. It comes from the French chef de cuisine, one who is the director of the kitchen and responsible for all aspects of the kitchen and also writes menus.

Skip 11-02-2019 12:30 AM

He's managing the FOH (front of the house), not the BOH (back to the house) (kitchen).
Skip

Chatbrat 11-02-2019 04:59 AM

Met someone in the know, one of the reasons that the quality @ the Cane has gone done, is the Cane changed purveyors, they are now using a purveyor with a cheaper product line--there are 3 prime suppliers of prepackaged restaurant meals in TV, Sysco, Gordons & Cheney