Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Contractors and Services (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/contractors-services-91/)
-   -   POOLS: Fiberglass or concrete? Solar, gas or electric heater (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/contractors-services-91/pools-fiberglass-concrete-solar-gas-electric-heater-299679/)

Northerner52 11-05-2019 05:01 PM

POOLS: Fiberglass or concrete? Solar, gas or electric heater

Would love your experiences owning these! Leaning towards fiberglass/natural gas.

rjm1cc 11-05-2019 05:14 PM

For solar I assume you mean heating water on the roof. I am wondering if solar electric panels would be better as you will generate electricity every day (and the utility will "store" it for you if you do not use it would be better. I would think in terms of a solar system to support your total electric needs.

graciegirl 11-05-2019 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Northerner52 (Post 1693390)
Would love your experiences owning these! Leaning towards fiberglass/natural gas.

We like T&D. Chose concrete. Have solar panels but they only heat when it is sunny and warm enough. We can't use them from November through February. Have a buried propane tank but rarely use it because it is so expensive.

gatorbill1 11-05-2019 05:55 PM

concrete and natural gas is best - I have owned them all over the years

vbsheriff 11-05-2019 06:04 PM

After owning several different types of pools in the past I prefer the gunite. Hayward just started manufacturing a heat pump / chiller that I purchased last year. In addition to heating, it will cool the pool up to 12 degrees in the summer. I’m keeping the pool at 85 year round. 😎

billethkid 11-05-2019 06:21 PM

T&D for design and construction.
Gunite pool and waterfall.
Solar panels plus natural gas back up.
We use the pool daily from March through December.

The gas will heat the pool in January/February, however....the night time temps get so low it cools the water to a point where it becomes too expensive to heat the water for the short use per day. Plus it is just too cold to be out in a bathing suit going in....and worse coming out.

What we save by being out of air conditioner season is used up in gas bill to heat the pool.

kathyspear 11-05-2019 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vbsheriff (Post 1693402)
After owning several different types of pools in the past I prefer the gunite. Hayward just started manufacturing a heat pump / chiller that I purchased last year. In addition to heating, it will cool the pool up to 12 degrees in the summer. I’m keeping the pool at 85 year round. ������

How warm would the water get in the summer months if you didn't cool it? Enquiring minds want to know!

kathy

Northerner52 11-05-2019 07:34 PM

Good question Kathy. They water does get warm in at the public pools!
Quote:

Originally Posted by kathyspear (Post 1693406)
How warm would the water get in the summer months if you didn't cool it? Enquiring minds want to know!

kathy

Northerner52 11-05-2019 07:53 PM

Hard to beat these benefits: Fiberglass vs Concrete Pool Cost Comparison | Sun Pools

I like the cooling benefit of the heat pump!

PoolBrews 11-05-2019 09:23 PM

Wow -that is perhaps one of the most inaccurate comparison charts I have ever seen! I have owned a pool for over 40 years - vinyl liner for 25 years, fiberglass for 10, and gunite for 6. I would only go with gunite in Florida. If you go with a Wet Edge or PebbleTec interior, you never have to acid wash or re-marcite. They have a lifetime warranty. And they don't fade in Florida's sun... but fiberglass will. It will start to look pretty bad in about 9 years, and there are no easy fixes.

Fiberglass will cost you more initially, but it should be installed quicker - about 4 weeks faster. Chemicals are the same for both if you use a salt generator, and no issues with tiles. No idea why they list electric costs higher and pool service as not needed for fiberglass. You need the same amount for both. I'm pretty sure this chart was made by a company that likes to install fiberglass shells.

With Wet Edge and PebbleTec, your interior options are huge, but with fiberglass you are severely limited. Same for design.

Just my two cents - but please do a little more research before you decide.

PoolBrews 11-05-2019 09:31 PM

FYI... a little more factual:

Are Fiberglass Pools Better Than Gunite Pools?

vbsheriff 11-05-2019 11:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kathyspear (Post 1693406)

kathy

I have a 30,000 gallon pool that would regularly get to 90 plus in the summer without the chiller. The pool is in full sun all day. I keep my hot tub at 102. 90 was not refreshing.

Arubagirl33 11-06-2019 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by graciegirl (Post 1693397)
We like T&D. Chose concrete. Have solar panels but they only heat when it is sunny and warm enough. We can't use them from November through February. Have a buried propane tank but rarely use it because it is so expensive.

Hi Gracie ~ Can you provide additional info. about the propane tank?
Is it ok/safe to let it sit without use and how full is it?

Arubagirl33 11-12-2019 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arubagirl33 (Post 1693621)
Hi Gracie ~ Can you provide additional info. about the propane tank?
Is it ok/safe to let it sit without use and how full is it?

Any advice/
Response?!

Chi-Town 11-13-2019 08:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gatorbill1 (Post 1693400)
concrete and natural gas is best - I have owned them all over the years

Agree.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk