Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Connectivity from South to North (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/connectivity-south-north-299881/)

jcvdd1 11-12-2019 06:02 PM

Connectivity from South to North

Greetings -

When we moved in this summer in Marsh Bend, the real estate salesman from The Villages indicated that the connectivity golf cart path from the Southern portion of The Villages to the homeland would be complete by early 2020.

I'm no engineer, but in my humble opinion, there is no way in hell that this project will be completed in less than six months from now....

Can anyone shed any light on their opinion as to when the path will be completed ?

Thanks

dewilson58 11-12-2019 06:06 PM

The horsepower available....................it could be done in 30 days.

tophcfa 11-12-2019 07:53 PM

I don't know if the sales person was just telling you what you wanted to hear or not? But if the developers want the connection be done in 6 months, it will be done in 6 months. They have the resources and influence to make it happen.

tophcfa 11-12-2019 07:55 PM

Dam, looking at the title to the thread, I was hoping you were talking about a high speed train from my home in the Villages to the one up north (that would allow our dog to ride with us). Oh well, dream on!

vintageogauge 11-12-2019 08:09 PM

I've been here since May 0f 2017 and I'm in no hurry. From where I live in Fenney just to get to Paddock Square is going to be a long haul, I might do it once but after that I'll use the car. Even for grocery shopping, they don't make a cooler big enough for what my wife buys at Publix and I have no idea how people get refrigerated or frozen items home in a golf car unless they live very near to the store. I am ready to do some shopping down here but in no hurry for connectivity.

bandsdavis 11-12-2019 09:45 PM

Just checked Google Maps for the time to drive an auto from Demarco Dr in Marsh Bend to the Savannah Center: 30 Minutes. I'm guessing the Sharon would be about the same. Must be an hour or more by golf cart.

Carpe Diem 11-12-2019 10:27 PM

A golf cart bridge could take a little time because of the need for a bridge.

What shocks me is that Meggison didn't connect Brownwood to Warm Springs a year ago . . . and even now progress seems painstakingly slow.

JoMar 11-12-2019 11:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bandsdavis (Post 1694924)
Just checked Google Maps for the time to drive an auto from Demarco Dr in Marsh Bend to the Savannah Center: 30 Minutes. I'm guessing the Sharon would be about the same. Must be an hour or more by golf cart.

45 minutes from Hillsborough to Spanish Springs....do it often, great ride. We will use carts to go south since doubt that ride will be any longer. Hate using a car around this place, especially in bird season.

Goldwingnut 11-13-2019 08:08 AM

In the December 2018 villages magazine a connectivity date was shown as Jan 2020.
A recent video from the villages now puts connectivity at May 2020.
In the November 2019 magazine insert, pictures are shown of the Water Lily bridge (turnpike bridge) and Chitty Chatty (Rohan RRC) bridge under construction, both are dated November 2019. Grossly incorrect and outdated, the Water Lily bridge main structure was completed months ago and can easily be seen from the Turnpike. The Chitty Chatty picture is at least a month or more old and out of date.

One cannot help but wonder if the slippage in the schedule is internally or externally driven? With at least five distinct large areas under construction by The Villages are the available resources spread a little too thin and schedules being reevaluated? Is the information and publicity pictures being released being intentionally muted to reduce expectations and cover for previously over zealous advertising to drive sales south of SR44?

VillageIdiots 11-13-2019 08:35 AM

I try not to get on here and post anything prefaced with "I heard...". However, it's difficult to get straight answers from anyone in the know on this topic. When we moved here in spring of 2018, as GWN points out, connectivity was shown as Jan 2020. That wasn't a rumor or hearsay - it was printed on maps and was being said out loud by employees of TV. Since then, we have watched great progress from both ends of the eventual connection with the tunnels and bridges and paths going in on the south side to the tunnels and bridges going in on the Brownwood side. Then the "golden spike" began to be assembled on the side of the turnpike and has been put together for quite a while. So, most of the pieces are there - it's just a matter of finishing them up. Then TV comes out with a VMail proudly bragging of the connectivity coming in April/May, but never acknowledged or addressed the elephant in the room which was that that timeline was several months off from the Jan 2020 timeline. So now for the "I heard" part - I heard that the state, or FDOT to be more specific, was holding up the turnpike bridge completion until after the high season of traffic that feeds the the Orlando theme parks, much of which funnels down the turnpike. The only reason I'd repeat that hearsay is because it makes the most logical sense to me. As they say - "follow the money". We are in no particular hurry for connectivity, but I do appreciate honesty and transparency and this would all go over much better if they would just acknowledge the delay and provide a plausible reason for it rather than just acting like May is the date and always has been. Perhaps they don't want to be seen as throwing the state under the bus, or maybe they are just behind schedule and aren't used to that and don't know how to handle it. But I'm in agreement with much of the above posts - they have the resources, if it were simply a matter of getting it done by a given date, they could make it happen.

graciegirl 11-13-2019 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jcvdd1 (Post 1694868)
Greetings -

When we moved in this summer in Marsh Bend, the real estate salesman from The Villages indicated that the connectivity golf cart path from the Southern portion of The Villages to the homeland would be complete by early 2020.

I'm no engineer, but in my humble opinion, there is no way in hell that this project will be completed in less than six months from now....

Can anyone shed any light on their opinion as to when the path will be completed ?

Thanks

Hide and watch. I'll hold your beer.

Chi-Town 11-13-2019 09:53 AM

I still wonder why the connectivity wasn't first. It's not like speculating to buy the land before the railroad comes through.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

graciegirl 11-13-2019 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chi-Town (Post 1694995)
I still wonder why the connectivity wasn't first. It's not like speculating to buy the land before the railroad comes through.

If you and I knew how to do business like they know how to do business and wait for the right opportunity to buy property at the optimal price, than we'd be as rich as they are.

Chi-Town 11-13-2019 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by graciegirl (Post 1694996)
If you and I knew how to do business like they know how to do business and wait for the right opportunity to buy property at the optimal price, than we'd be as rich as they are.

No doubt. But why not the connectivity?

Jaybird1958 11-13-2019 10:45 AM

Seems to me if connectivity was done first why would anyone use it and go down there if nothing was there to see, visit or use.

Velvet 11-13-2019 11:51 AM

My understanding is that it used to be that rec centers, stores and other common use areas were built before the houses. They cost money. Now the lots and houses are sold before these things are built as they bring in money. It makes sense to me.

What surprises me is the blind faith some buyers have in someone else’s vision. I personally like to see what I’m buying before I buy it.

Chi-Town 11-13-2019 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaybird1958 (Post 1695006)
Seems to me if connectivity was done first why would anyone use it and go down there if nothing was there to see, visit or use.

I want thinking about existing homeowners. I was thinking about the people who move there who want to get around in their golf carts unrestricted. After all, The Villages is a golf cart community.

MrPelota 11-13-2019 01:36 PM

My wife and I bought a home in Fenney in 2017 when it was first built. Nothing but sand and construction all around us. We bought based on the vision of what it would look like based on all the other villages and amenities they have done prior to Fenney. We haven't been disappointed yet. We aren't full-time yet and only able to come down sporadically, but every time we come down we are amazed at the growth and the "new stuff" always going up. The new bridges and the connectivity are going to be first class, you know that. We rented on the north end one year before buying....the home came with a golf cart to use. We took nice scenic drives all the way to Sumter and Spanish Springs. We look forward to more of that when we retire in a couple years. Patience, grasshopper!

graciegirl 11-13-2019 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Velvet (Post 1695026)
My understanding is that it used to be that rec centers, stores and other common use areas were built before the houses. They cost money. Now the lots and houses are sold before these things are built as they bring in money. It makes sense to me.

What surprises me is the blind faith some buyers have in someone else’s vision. I personally like to see what I’m buying before I buy it.

Nothing has changed Velvet. Those things are in place first.

vintageogauge 11-13-2019 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Velvet (Post 1695026)

When we bought our home in Fenney there were less than 30 homes sold down here. We were told what was in the works which at that time were the Fenney Bar & Grille, Putt & Play, archery, air rifle range, Red and Gray Fox golf courses, golf car tunnels, regional rec. center, etc. We were told there would be a shopping plaza but no date was given and to get to the Lake Deaton plaza was less than 5 miles away as well as Brownwood so no problem. Everything that they told us has been completed and they are now working on the plaza and championship golf course. When we bought there was already a rec center, sports pool, recreation area with adult pool, shuffleboard, bocce, pickle ball, corn toss, and the outside gym, all of this was open and ready to use so yes, the rec. center and common use facilities were built before the homes were being sold. I don't remember being given a date for connectivity, they just said that it was going to happen, and it will.

Velvet 11-13-2019 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vintageogauge (Post 1695054)
When we bought our home in Fenney there were less than 30 homes sold down here. We were told what was in the works which at that time were the Fenney Bar & Grille, Putt & Play, archery, air rifle range, Red and Gray Fox golf courses, golf car tunnels, regional rec. center, etc. We were told there would be a shopping plaza but no date was given and to get to the Lake Deaton plaza was less than 5 miles away as well as Brownwood so no problem. Everything that they told us has been completed and they are now working on the plaza and championship golf course. When we bought there was already a rec center, sports pool, recreation area with adult pool, shuffleboard, bocce, pickle ball, corn toss, and the outside gym, all of this was open and ready to use so yes, the rec. center and common use facilities were built before the homes were being sold. I don't remember being given a date for connectivity, they just said that it was going to happen, and it will.

Very happy to hear this. Thank you to you and Gracie for correcting my misimpression.

Chi-Town 11-13-2019 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chi-Town (Post 1695042)
I wasn't thinking about existing homeowners. I was thinking about the people who move there who want to get around in their golf carts unrestricted. After all, The Villages is a golf cart community.

VApeople 11-14-2019 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chi-Town (Post 1695042)
I was thinking about the people who move there who want to get around in their golf carts unrestricted.

I would not worry about these unfortunate and unhappy people.

Before they bought in Fenney, they knew they would not be able "to get around in their golf carts unrestricted", but they bought anyway. They must have had their reasons.

JoMar 11-14-2019 09:55 PM

One thing you can count on here is how impatient many (should really say some) of the residents are. We have been here for 5 years and can't believe how quickly stuff happens here. What occurred in 5 years here would have taken decades in PA. Patience grasshopper :)

Chi-Town 11-14-2019 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VApeople (Post 1695124)
I would not worry about these unfortunate and unhappy people.

Before they bought in Fenney, they knew they would not be able "to get around in their golf carts unrestricted", but they bought anyway. They must have had their reasons.

I don't consider them "unfortunate". They live in a great area But possibly a little unhappy about the length of time it is taking to connect.

vintageogauge 11-15-2019 05:28 PM

I've lived here since they opened Fenney and I can't say that I know anyone in Fenney that is unhappy because of connectivity although I'm sure there are a few. Maybe some of the newer owners in Southern Oaks are more concerned about it as they live closer to Brownwood, etc. I'm more concerned about how crazy it's going to be down here after we have connectivity. Right now it's pretty peaceful, a little more traffic now that it's the season but still not as bad as up north, we went up to Lake Sumter this afternoon and couldn't believe the traffic and lack of parking spaces.

Marathon Man 11-15-2019 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chi-Town (Post 1695240)
I don't consider them "unfortunate". They live in a great area But possibly a little unhappy about the length of time it is taking to connect.

Seems like they could make their feelings known if they were unhappy. Not seeing it, so I guess the rest of us need not worry.

Bogie Shooter 11-15-2019 07:39 PM

Why should we ( not living down south) worry or give a damn anyway. Is it really any of our business?

M2inOR 11-16-2019 01:24 PM

We bought our home in August in the Designer Home neighborhood bordering holes 1, 2, 8, and 9 of the Lowlands Executive Course. After closing, we've walked the surrounding areas between Marsh Bend Trail, Everglades Rec Center, and the Lily Pond Rec Center that is under construction. Very happy with our choice, and will be even happier after the Brownwood Bridge is completed. 3.2mi from our home to Brownwood Paddock.

After looking at 40+ existing homes between Sumter Landing and Brownwood, a friend asked why we weren't considering the new homes south of 44. We replied that when we visited back in February 2019, there wasn't any "there there"; too remote and no services.

Of those 40+ homes we looked at, we noted either too many $$$ for what the home offered, or expected $$$ to repair key parts of 10 year old homes that needed maintenance. We wanted 3bdrm/2ba 2000 sq ft home with 2+1 garage. We found issues in some homes that even the homeowner was not aware of.

Well, after that friend's question, we popped into the Fenney Sales Office, and asked to see the newest homes. They happened to be in Linden Isle and Marsh Bend. The 2nd home we saw in Marsh Bend helped us to decide, and we agreed to purchase an Iris.

What helped us to decide:
1. Everglades Rec Center opening in November
2. upcoming Magnolia Plaza due in 2020
3. multi-use bridge connecting Marsh Bend to Brownwood Paddock due in 2020
4. All Designer Home neighborhood; with all homes stucco

Someday there will be a new square, but we suspect it will be down near Monarch Grove or the new St Catherines and Bradford villages south of 44 and Rohan.

Being from the engineering project field, I'm sure that The Villages would rather have the connecting Brownwood bridge today rather than tomorrow. The biggest challenge will be closing down the Florida Turnpike for the time necessary to move the bridge in place. More important will be making sure that all contingencies are planned for in case something goes wrong with the move. No one will happy if the turnpike is closed longer than absolutely necessary.

2020 is going to be a great milestone for The Villages just south of 44.

ditka41 11-17-2019 02:39 PM

We are happy residents of DESOTO. Visited the very impressive Everglades Rec cemter last week and asked the person who was in charge of the Sales Area there about a date for connectivity. The latest projection is JULY 2020. Disappointing to a degree, but certainly not a "deal-breaker" for most people. I do believe the delay that has caused some missed projections is approval to interrupt traffic flow on the turnpike during the heavier tourist season. So, when the snowbirds clear out next summer, we will be even happier to know the link will be completed. In the meantime, life is still fantastic down here and we are glad we moved from north of 44.

Love2Swim 11-17-2019 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VillageIdiots (Post 1694971)
I try not to get on here and post anything prefaced with "I heard...". However, it's difficult to get straight answers from anyone in the know on this topic. When we moved here in spring of 2018, as GWN points out, connectivity was shown as Jan 2020. That wasn't a rumor or hearsay - it was printed on maps and was being said out loud by employees of TV. Since then, we have watched great progress from both ends of the eventual connection with the tunnels and bridges and paths going in on the south side to the tunnels and bridges going in on the Brownwood side. Then the "golden spike" began to be assembled on the side of the turnpike and has been put together for quite a while. So, most of the pieces are there - it's just a matter of finishing them up. Then TV comes out with a VMail proudly bragging of the connectivity coming in April/May, but never acknowledged or addressed the elephant in the room which was that that timeline was several months off from the Jan 2020 timeline. So now for the "I heard" part - I heard that the state, or FDOT to be more specific, was holding up the turnpike bridge completion until after the high season of traffic that feeds the the Orlando theme parks, much of which funnels down the turnpike. The only reason I'd repeat that hearsay is because it makes the most logical sense to me. As they say - "follow the money". We are in no particular hurry for connectivity, but I do appreciate honesty and transparency and this would all go over much better if they would just acknowledge the delay and provide a plausible reason for it rather than just acting like May is the date and always has been. Perhaps they don't want to be seen as throwing the state under the bus, or maybe they are just behind schedule and aren't used to that and don't know how to handle it. But I'm in agreement with much of the above posts - they have the resources, if it were simply a matter of getting it done by a given date, they could make it happen.

If you are really interested, you could go right to the horses's mouth, and contact the Florida Department of Transportation. I'm sure there are permits The Villages had to secure if there was anything to do with the Turnpike, and FLDOT would be involved.

EricN 11-19-2019 10:21 AM

No Bridge Until 2021?

From what I have heard from some sources, the expected date is late 2020 or early 2021. Am I being pessimistic? I think not. Lets look at some facts.

No Man's Land:
The builder chose not to build between Hwy 44 and the Florida Turnpike. This created a “No Man's Land” between Hwy 44 and the turnpike. No homes, no lighting, no roads, no safety access. Just large secluded tracts of empty darkness at night. Would you drive a golf cart alone through that area in the darkness of the night? Think of the liability the builder would have if anyone were to have an unfortunate situation happen to them in that area. If I was the builder, I would not permit access until I had installed roads, lighting, had occupied homes, and built the safety intra-structure.

Distance:
In the Northern area (North of Hwy 44), the average distance between Town Squares is about five miles. This means that most, (I know, not all), people are within two and a half miles of a Square. This also means that most are within a fifteen to twenty minute golf cart ride of a Square. This golf cart life style is one of the main selling points of The Villages. What are the chances that someone would ride a golf cart thirty to forty five minutes to a Town Square in the evening and then home through “No Man's Land”? One of the main purposes of the Town Squares is to provide the Developer with a monthly income from the rental of the stores. A monthly rent of five thousand dollars is not uncommon. The developer has to attract the residents to the businesses to justify the rent. Income from residents of the southern areas, arriving by golf cart, would be negligible.

Air Rights:
The state of Florida is not going to just give away the air rights over the turnpike. The developer will have to pay either a monthly or yearly fee to lease the air rights. This fee helps keep us income-tax free. The minute the bridge goes up, the developer has to start paying the fee. Why would the builder want to pay the state for a bridge that connects to “No Man's Land”? If I was the builder, I would not put the bridge over the turnpike until it was profitable for me. Yes there is a bridge over Highway 44. We do not know what deal the developer made with the local county. A quick look while driving past the Hwy 44 bridge, Brownwood, will reveal that it has no access. In it's current state, it is just serving as a billboard, advertising “The Villages”. Development of the bridge in the Rohan area has come to a mysterious slowdown. (Additional information regarding air rights can be found at:
It’s Up in the Air: Air Rights in Modern Development – The Florida Bar)

Am I being too negative? I don't believe so. The Builder/Developer is a corporation. In our society, the first responsibility of a business is to make a profit. That profit then goes to the owners, or in the case of a publicly traded company, to the share holders. I do not expect “The Villages Corporation” to give me anything that is not profitable to them directly or indirectly. Remember the rule: Follow The Money.

Will I stay here? Heck Yes! I like the warm sand of Florida, I just choose not to bury my head in it. :-)

Cheers,
Eric

Garywt 11-19-2019 04:24 PM

When the original developer did not complete Fenney the Villages only bought Fenney and did not own property to connect. After buying additional land and come up with a plan did the cart path work start.

Been told it will be about 20 minutes from Brownwood. It takes me about 60 minutes to Brownwood from home so this will be a nice ride.

Altavia 11-19-2019 04:43 PM

Pine Ridge is 8+ miles to Sumter and Brownwood. People love it there so drive distances of that magnitude don't seen to be a problem.

Newell28701 11-20-2019 10:15 PM

So another opportunity for the developer to pull the wool over our eyes

We've been here almost two years in Fenney and we still laugh about the 10 minute golf cart ride from our location off Fenney Way that we were fed from the sales people. Again no way in hell. It'll be more like 30-40 minutes. Also, we have no stores to run to for gas or milk without driving into Wildwood or Rt. 44. The stores should have been put in two years ago. We've also have had to endure looking at the ugly mess as you drive up to the entrance of Fenney Way and now the huge dump trucks running back and forth. It'll be another two years before anything concrete will be put in place. I think it's time to live somewhere else.:ho:

twoplanekid 11-20-2019 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Newell28701 (Post 1696404)
We've been here almost two years in Fenney and we still laugh about the 10 minute golf cart ride from our location off Fenney Way that we were fed from the sales people. Again no way in hell. It'll be more like 30-40 minutes. Also, we have no stores to run to for gas or milk without driving into Wildwood or Rt. 44. The stores should have been put in two years ago. We've also have had to endure looking at the ugly mess as you drive up to the entrance of Fenney Way and now the huge dump trucks running back and forth. It'll be another two years before anything concrete will be put in place. I think it's time to live somewhere else.:ho:

Picture taken today from the Cub looking to the west of the Fenney gate towards 301
Dropbox - IMG_2460.JPG - Simplify your life

Altavia 11-20-2019 11:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Newell28701 (Post 1696404)

Really? First post in two years?

Altavia 11-20-2019 11:13 PM

Thanks for the photo.

They make the most organized, pretty piles of dirt :coolsmiley:

Did I understand correctly premier homes are planned there?

EdFNJ 11-20-2019 11:50 PM

Took us exactly 28 minutes this afternoon (by CAR) to get from HOGEYE (BEAUTIFUL area by the way!) parking lot to LSL parking lot behind Starbucks. That was from time we backed out of our space at Hogeye to the time we pulled into our space at LSL. Barely any traffic but plenty of roundabouts and more under construction! Gotta be a 45++ minute ride by golf cart. I'm guessing the majority of GC rides from "down south" would be to Brownwood and not LSL and SS. Saw a sign that said "Coming soon, connectivity to Disney and Universal." Looking forward to the 2 new villages called Micky and Minnie. ;)

Saw a small alligator in one of the small ponds along the Hogeye walking trail on the golf course ..... sure seeks like they are "planted" there for the efffect.

coffeebean 11-21-2019 06:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EdFNJ (Post 1696418)
Took us exactly 28 minutes this afternoon (by CAR) to get from HOGEYE (BEAUTIFUL area by the way!) parking lot to LSL parking lot behind Starbucks.

This is why I'm not worried at all that there will be more crowding of LSL and SS squares. I can't imagine folks routinely going to these two squares from down south.

It is more beautiful and serene south of 44 but (and that is a big "but"), it is just not convenient enough for us. We prefer to be closer to shopping and restaurants (441/27 corridor) and a hop skip and a jump to LSL by golf cart and SS which is 10 minutes by car for us.

As "they" always say, "location, location, location".