Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Medical and Health Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/medical-health-discussion-94/)
-   -   MRI claustrophobia (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/medical-health-discussion-94/mri-claustrophobia-299902/)

tcxr750 11-14-2019 09:29 AM

MRI claustrophobia

If someone is claustrophobic my understanding is that wide bore MRI is a good option to avoid that feeling.
Anyone who is claustrophobic and had an MRI want to comment?

Nucky 11-14-2019 09:36 AM

352-365-0777 or 352-787-5858 = Lake Medical Imaging with offices all over the place and access to whatever equipment will meet your needs. They were very good to us when we need them and they are courteous, timely and organized. They did make one little mistake so always beware. Nobody is perfect. I would rate them as way above average. Good Luck.

billethkid 11-14-2019 10:00 AM

I was not able to enter a normal MRI machine.
I have done completely open MRI in Ocala.

And in recent years switched to the wide bore machine at Lake Medical Imaging. And unless they have added another the only facility that has one is the Sharon Morse location.
Very bright surroundings and big enough to ease the anxiety.
They do have a mirror set up that is put around the head that allows you to actually watch the comings and goings of the parking lot. You have to ask for it.

If you don't like the idea of the mirror just ask them to place a towel over your eyes, then mentally visit a happy place.

Good luck.

VIN574 11-14-2019 10:22 AM

Valium...

John_W 11-14-2019 10:38 AM

Somebody asked this question last week. I'll give you the same answer. Lake Imaging at the Villages Hospital has a beautiful room on about the 4th floor with a large glass window overlooking the whole grounds and an open MRI machine. I've had two pet-scans there for Lymphoma. It's about as pleasant as you can get, but a little further for me to drive since I live on the southside.

I've had 8 cat-scans for my lungs at Lake Imaging at Colony which is near my home. Nothing special about the room, but usually the visit with waiting and all is no more than 30 minutes total time, they're very efficient and the machine is as large as the hospital model. You normally just go through and back a couple of sweeps and you're done.

I've had one MRI at Lake Imaging at LSL for my back pain. I was in the machine for about 15 minutes with the large metal circular machinery 4" above my nose. They give you an emergency button and headphones with music and tell you to push the button if you panic. I almost did, I got through it but have never gone back to LSL Lake Imaging.

bagboy 11-14-2019 12:19 PM

Wide bore (open) MRI and a Valium type sedative will do the trick. As stated above, Lake Medical Imaging at the Sharon Morse building and Colony both have this machine. With a Valium, any view in a mirror doesn't really matter. Good luck with this. The unknown is scary but in reality it won't be bad.

LoriAnn 11-14-2019 03:52 PM

I'm so claustrophobic that even a wide-bore is impossible. I have no problem with an up-right or standing MRI.

tcxr750 11-15-2019 03:00 AM

Thanks for the many helpful responses. I’m thinking the wide bore (70cm) and Valium will be the way to go.

Debfrommaine 11-15-2019 05:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LoriAnn (Post 1695196)
I'm so claustrophobic that even a wide-bore is impossible. I have no problem with an up-right or standing MRI.

Some people have to have anesthesia for their MRI testing, might be a consideration for you.