Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   what's your thoughts on this (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/whats-your-thoughts-299954/)

ureout 11-16-2019 07:14 AM

what's your thoughts on this

Traditionally free Villages tree lightings introducing pay-to-view seating

The concept of selling specialized treatment at holiday events first surfaced this past July 4 at Brownwood. The tree-lighting shows are following that model, with tickets offered for $50 per person, $80 per couple and $225 for a table for six. Those purchasing the “VIP Experience” are being promised two free drink tickets, appetizers provided by a yet-unnamed vendor and access to a VIP tent and cash bar, as well as reserved seating and “direct access into the square.”

SKIMAN 11-16-2019 07:26 AM

I think it's B/s..

billethkid 11-16-2019 07:45 AM

No. Will become a Pandora's Box!!!
Maintain first come first served.

How is this proposal any different than saving seats on the square? It isn't!!!
I agree with first reply:

BS!

NotGolfer 11-16-2019 08:12 AM

We went once, the 1st Season we lived here, 10 yrs ago...and it wasn't all that great. Chairs were all full except for a few behind the gazebo and you couldn't see anything. It was crowded then and I'm sure it's even more so now-days. We now avoid the squares for that reason. I'm sure the powers that be have their reasons for the VIP tent etc.

CWGUY 11-16-2019 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by billethkid (Post 1695498)
No. Will become a Pandora's Box!!!
Maintain first come first served.

How is this proposal any different than saving seats on the square? It isn't!!!
I agree with first reply:

BS!

:icon_wink: That's an easy one...... it's their seats not yours! They can save seats and you can't. You can still go. There is still a free option (paid for by selling seats) for others. Takes a crane, 2 trucks, 5-6 guys, and 2 nights to set up and decorate the tree. Wonder how much that costs...... nobody posts asking that! Thank you Entertainment Dept. :ho:

dewilson58 11-16-2019 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ureout (Post 1695493)
Traditionally free Villages tree lightings introducing pay-to-view seating

I don't feel we are entitled to free.

Seating, drinks, food and donations to charities for a fee. Does not get my neck hair up.

champion6 11-16-2019 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NotGolfer (Post 1695505)
We went once, the 1st Season we lived here, 10 yrs ago...and it wasn't all that great. Chairs were all full except for a few behind the gazebo and you couldn't see anything. It was crowded then and I'm sure it's even more so now-days. We now avoid the squares for that reason. I'm sure the powers that be have their reasons for the VIP tent etc.

:agree:

graciegirl 11-16-2019 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NotGolfer (Post 1695505)

I agree. It is run by the entertainment company that is no longer owned by The Villages and represents the merchants on the square.

billethkid 11-16-2019 08:50 AM

For me it is all about fixing something that isn't broken.

I would hate to see the Tree lighting festivities get cancelled because of possible complaining of a few...it could happen....like the New Years celebrations on the squares were eliminated years ago.

bilcon 11-16-2019 08:52 AM

Who cares anymore. There seemed to be more non-residents in the squares lately anyway. I never liked waiting in lines, and now I don't have to.
I can go down the next day and see the tree lit up.

"I never made a mistake in my life. I thought I did once, but I was wrong".

Marathon Man 11-16-2019 09:09 AM

He who writes the check, makes the rules. Free entertainment is not free to provide. I have no problem with trying to recover some of the cost with this OPTIONAL experience. After all, we don't want to lose something because the cost is getting too high to provide it.

Tom C 11-16-2019 09:20 AM

Hey - an alternate idea. NEIGHBORHOOD TREE LIGHTING WALK :coolsmiley:

Organize your close neighbors, have everyone ready on the selected date and then do an evening walk-around to see each home’s decorations (insides or out) ... maybe even have some light drinks (:popcorn: :beer3: hot toddy?) along the way to keep everyone warm. Do it local and keep it simple and enjoyable!!

Ben Franklin 11-16-2019 09:24 AM

I'll watch the live stream on my computer. I'm not going to support merchants AND pay to see it.

Chi-Town 11-16-2019 09:25 AM

Went to the tree lighting ceremony when we first moved here. It was cold and crowded but was used to that moving from the Chicago area. After the countdown the lights went on and.....meh. Dull lighting at best. They seem to have gotten a little brighter over the years but not worth paying for. I didn't expect the Rockefelker Center, but that was not what I expected. I'll pass.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Kerry Azz 11-16-2019 09:53 AM

A foolish response

Quote:

Originally Posted by CWGUY (Post 1695506)
:icon_wink: That's an easy one...... it's their seats not yours! They can save seats and you can't. You can still go. There is still a free option (paid for by selling seats) for others. Takes a crane, 2 trucks, 5-6 guys, and 2 nights to set up and decorate the tree. Wonder how much that costs...... nobody posts asking that! Thank you Entertainment Dept. :ho:

Isn’t that why we pay an amenity fee? And don’t they make money when they have a big event! It cost the towns and cities a lot more to set up these events and I’ve yet to see them charge to attend. Personally I think the Entertainment Department has made ridiculous changes over the past few years and each one of those changes unfortunately shows their concern to increase revenue.