Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Opening the gates with car window closed (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/opening-gates-car-window-closed-300055/)

coffeebean 11-19-2019 05:55 AM

Opening the gates with car window closed

I have no problem using the gate card to open the gates with my car window closed. We have a sedan and when I approach the gate, I pull close enough to the gate "reader" and I'm in perfect line with it. We have a sedan which allows my card to be in direct line with the card reader.

Now for my question....... we are considering purchasing an SUV which sits higher than a sedan. Do any of you have an SUV and are able to use the gate card to open the gates and keep your window closed?

I have a feeling, sitting higher in the SUV will not make it possible to open the gate with the window closed. Am I correct about this?

birdiebill 11-19-2019 06:38 AM

We have a Toyota RAV 4 and are able to open the gates that we use without opening the car window. Like you we pull up close to the sensor, slowly move the gate card at the lower edge of the inside of the window and the gate opens.

dewilson58 11-19-2019 06:47 AM

:ohdear:

Jus duct tape it to your door 38 inches off the ground.

Goldwingnut 11-19-2019 06:56 AM

The HID MaxiProx reader that is used has a 12-14 inch read range with the standard prox card and is designed to read cards through window glass. It cannot read through metal. I've been using these cards for 20+ years and never had problems reading through the windows of a car, SUV, pick-up, or mini-van. As previous respondents have said, just pull up close to the reader and hold the card against the window (don't need to move it around). I normally just coast by the reader with the card in the window and the gate opens easily every time.

Some gates don't work as well as others depending on the mounting of the reader, if there's any metal within 12" it disrupts the read range and lessens it.

Yes long range cards are available (battery powered) but they are expensive ($21/each dealer cost) and have a limited battery life. An upgrade in a system this size would be very expensive! Upgrading to other technology (barcode, active RFID, or others) would be even more expensive, and the transition process would be nightmarish here in TV. No you can't use the SunPass technology, the E6 readers used are about $7k each and have to be tuned to each location and lane.

I spent the last 20 years in the construction industry specializing on high end security systems and have worked extensively with, engineered, and installed all of the above systems and equipment until retiring last year. What we have works well and should be sustainable for the next decade or so.

Goldwingnut 11-19-2019 06:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dewilson58 (Post 1696029)
:ohdear:
Jus duct tape it to your door 38 inches off the ground.

Nice try, Mr. Helpful! Attaching it to the door would reduce the effective range of the card because of the metal in the door. Now maybe duct taping it to the end of your rear view mirror...

dewilson58 11-19-2019 07:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goldwingnut (Post 1696037)
Nice try, Mr. Helpful! Attaching it to the door would reduce the effective range of the card because of the metal in the door. Now maybe duct taping it to the end of your rear view mirror...

Sheldon, tape it on the outside of your car.............no metal effect.

ureout 11-19-2019 07:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dewilson58 (Post 1696042)

sheldon... lmao

Chatbrat 11-19-2019 07:20 AM

Just use the manned visitor gate-no problem--usually has a smaller line-too

anothersteve 11-19-2019 07:27 AM

"We should just get rid of the gates altogether".....
in 4..........3.........2..........1

:ohdear::ohdear::ohdear:

Steve

retiredguy123 11-19-2019 07:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dewilson58 (Post 1696042)

I tried holding the card against the door and driving very close to the sensor. It didn't work. Had to move the card away from the door.

dewilson58 11-19-2019 07:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by retiredguy123 (Post 1696050)
I tried holding the card against the door and driving very close to the sensor. It didn't work. Had to move the card away from the door.

:1rotfl:

ckcapaul 11-19-2019 07:56 AM

I just hold it on the window and have no problem, remember get close, but DON'T get so close as to have an accident. :-)

NotGolfer 11-19-2019 08:02 AM

We've had an Escape and now have a Buick Encore. Most times we can do the key-card with the window closed. No issues. There are one or two gates that for some reason we need to open the window.

deano_hoosier 11-19-2019 08:14 AM

Will the card reader work if showing the card through the vinyl side curtain of a golf cart??

memason 11-19-2019 08:38 AM

Just use the Villages App on your phone to open the gates