Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Contractors and Services (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/contractors-services-91/)
-   -   Local Italian Store? Need Fresh Ricotta (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/contractors-services-91/local-italian-store-need-fresh-ricotta-300135/)

vernettm 11-21-2019 12:40 PM

Local Italian Store? Need Fresh Ricotta

I have a dessert I want to make for New Year's Eve which requires fresh ricotta. I have not looked for this yet, but know that good Italian stores in the The Villages may not exist. Any ideas?

REDCART 11-21-2019 12:43 PM

You might try Gio’s Deli on 301.

jane032657 11-21-2019 03:08 PM

Yes I think Gio's gets it in fresh once a week, pre order.

l2ridehd 11-22-2019 09:11 AM

Little Italy Deli in Inverness has the very best Ricotta. They also have fresh Barrata Mozzarella which is excellent. So creamy and good with heirloom tomatoes and basil with good balsamic.

bilcon 11-22-2019 10:42 AM

Right on with both suggestions!

rjn5656 11-23-2019 06:56 AM

Ricotta

Little Italy will hold fresh italian bread if you tell them what day your are stopping by.

graciegirl 11-23-2019 09:02 AM

I have never tasted Ricotta. We called cottage cheese Schmearcase (sh-meer-cah-sah) when I was a child living in Columbus, Ohio.

I have strong suspicions that if you substituted cottage cheese in your dessert recipe, few would notice.

Ricotta vs Cottage Cheese – Which Should You Choose?

Blessed2BNTV 11-23-2019 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by graciegirl (Post 1696767)
I have never tasted Ricotta. We called cottage cheese Schmearcase (sh-meer-cah-sah) when I was a child living in Columbus, Ohio.

I have strong suspicions that if you substituted cottage cheese in your dessert recipe, few would notice.

Oh how my momma would roll over in her grave. Nope, nope, nope.....but I still love ya girl!

OrangeBlossomBaby 11-23-2019 09:56 AM

Yeah there's a HUGE difference between the two. Different consistency, flavor, meltability.

REDCART 11-23-2019 11:44 AM

Quote:

Stayed with a friend in Pikesville MD, who made lasagna with cottage cheese. It teased sour as compared to a lasagna with ricotta. So I’d say they’re not that close or interchangeable.

Kenswing 11-23-2019 12:09 PM

Quote:

That's like saying Velveeta is the same as American cheese.. lol

graciegirl 11-23-2019 12:12 PM

I must say these sound wonderful;

Our Best Ricotta Cheese Recipes | Taste of Home

CFrance 11-23-2019 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by graciegirl (Post 1696817)
Yeah. I bet you are right. We put fresh fruit on cottage cheese. I bet Ricotta would be disappointing to us with nice fresh peaches.

It all depends on what you have grown to love and the associations you have with it and food brings wonderful memories, each different and each valid.

I see your-alls Ricotta and I raise you my Appel strudel. and my MEUNSTER. YUM. And Limburger.

Do you folks know you cannot find Thuringer lunch meat here in Florida or canned mock turtle soup??? It is hard. Few folks have even heard of Goetta.

The difference is we wouldn't suggest you put your fresh fruit on Ricotta!

I do love cottage cheese, but it has its place.

JoMar 11-23-2019 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kenswing (Post 1696816)
That's like saying Velveeta is the same as American cheese.. lol

I take that as a shot to Philly Cheese steak :)

graciegirl 11-23-2019 01:12 PM

These recipes all sound wonderful. I will try a few and then see if cottage cheese stands up to this Italian masterpiece.

ricotta cheese in desserts - Bing