Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Tidal wave of 21m homes but who will buy them? (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/tidal-wave-21m-homes-but-who-will-buy-them-300183/)

twoplanekid 11-23-2019 11:24 AM

Tidal wave of 21m homes but who will buy them?

Although we have already made the commitment to live in TV, it is interesting to conjecture on who will follow and how the TV community will respond to different times. Local TV leaders are constantly asked to plan for the future and to finance things based on projections out to 30 plus years in the future. So, I find this Wall Street Journal article on the Fox News web site interesting.

Baby boomers may put '''tidal wave''' of 21M homes on market -- but who will buy them? | Fox News

graciegirl 11-23-2019 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twoplanekid (Post 1696810)
Although we have already made the commitment to live in TV, it is interesting to conjecture on who will follow and how the TV community will respond to different times. Local TV leaders are constantly asked to plan for the future and to finance things based on projections out to 30 plus years in the future. So, I find this Wall Street Journal article on the Fox News web site interesting.

Baby boomers may put '''tidal wave''' of 21M homes on market -- but who will buy them? | Fox News

The homes they leave to move elsewhere may well be the beginning of a slum. That is one of the factors.

One of the first subjects I was given in college to write on was;

Do slummy people make slums or do slums make slummy people?

Very complicated, urban decay.

justjim 11-23-2019 01:17 PM

Our children and grandchildren will be heirs (Generations X, Y and Millennials) to many of the homes you speak of. Much depends on how well our children and grandchildren want to live in a place called The Villages. My guess many will love The Villages lifestyle just like many of us None of us have a “crystal ball” but I wouldn’t bet against The Villages standing pretty tall 50 years from now.

Craig Vernon 11-23-2019 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twoplanekid (Post 1696810)

At age 53 I have given this much thought as I see the younger generations not as interested in owning homes or property of any kind. You can actually see a bit of a divide between the northern and southern sections of TV. The value in the north is not of that in the south yet the homes are very new by home standards. Interesting subject and only time will tell. I think the key is make yourself happy and let the heirs determine the rest.

Topspinmo 11-23-2019 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Craig Vernon (Post 1696853)
At age 53 I have given this much thought as I see the younger generations not as interested in owning homes or property of any kind. You can actually see a bit of a divide between the northern and southern sections of TV. The value in the north is not of that in the south yet the homes are very new by home standards. Interesting subject and only time will tell. I think the key is make yourself happy and let the heirs determine the rest.

Most homes when new in the north section was 1/2 or less the price of new homes in the south. Time will tell if they can double in price as they get older?

ckcapaul 11-23-2019 06:50 PM

We are here from Minnesota, and I see a lot of the young generation buying houses. In fact they want what it took their parents years to buy. So based on my family and friends family's the villages should thrive for years.

Velvet 11-23-2019 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by justjim (Post 1696834)
Our children and grandchildren will be heirs (Generations X, Y and Millennials) to many of the homes you speak of. Much depends on how well our children and grandchildren want to live in a place called The Villages. My guess many will love The Villages lifestyle just like many of us None of us have a “crystal ball” but I wouldn’t bet against The Villages standing pretty tall 50 years from now.

I agree, I’m a second generation Villager. TV changes, mostly for the better and adapts so the next generation’s interests will be reflected. So far, I’m a happy camper. Makes me think TV will go on, and on.

Ashley from UK 11-25-2019 05:21 AM

Quote:

Another youngster investing in their future (same as me 😃).
Interesting comment about younger generations. We see the same thing in the UK. My parents saved hard for their first house. Moved in with no furniture. I did the same. Sacrificed life for a home. Now I’m ‘old’. (53), I can look to retire young move to TV and enjoy my missed youth. British kids seem to have a different approach. Lavish holidays, nice cars (mine is 14 years old), fine clothes nice restaurants. That is more important than saving $2500 a month on rent and putting it into a mortgage... still they lookto usand our parents and think ....

Cranford61 11-25-2019 06:03 AM

Trees don’t grow to the sky. The next generation will prefer the climate of warming Siberia with its pristine environment.

meridian5850 11-25-2019 09:21 AM

Though many boomers complain about the millennial generation (and I'm guilty of it), a recent article I read indicates that they have grown tired of living in cities with the high COL, having to rely on public transportation and so forth and that they have begun a slow migration to suburbia. There are also more of them than our generation, so there will be competition to buy boomer homes. An added benefit is that because of their numbers, the Social Security crisis should be fixed without Congress having to do anything.

graciegirl 11-25-2019 10:07 AM

Quote:

I dunno, boss.

2804 Larranaga Dr, The Villages, FL 32162 | realtor.com(R)

twoplanekid 11-25-2019 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by graciegirl (Post 1697116)

I am having fun and know you are - Happy Thanksgiving!

Homefinder - The Villages(R) Homes and Villas for Sale

rrb48310 11-25-2019 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by meridian5850 (Post 1697102)
Though many boomers complain about the millennial generation (and I'm guilty of it), a recent article I read indicates that they have grown tired of living in cities with the high COL, having to rely on public transportation and so forth and that they have begun a slow migration to suburbia. There are also more of them than our generation, so there will be competition to buy boomer homes. An added benefit is that because of their numbers, the Social Security crisis should be fixed without Congress having to do anything.

:agree:

There are 76 million baby boomers, and 87 million millennials. The millennials are growing tired of living in the cities and they are growing up. Know as the me generation they are now entering the housing market. I’ve read that a lot of baby boomers aren’t selling but retiring in place creating a housing shortage. In my area homes under $250k, in good shape, are selling fast with multiple over list price offers. So real estate agents I know would welcome more inventory to sell. To top that, I also heard the millennials are even starting to golf! The Villages will be fine, so will social security if politicians keep their hands out of the cookie jar.

twoplanekid 11-25-2019 04:22 PM

A quote from FoxNews about this topic. "Although all of these homes will be hitting the market, they will be located in areas where most of the younger generations don’t want to live. The areas that will be impacted the most are traditional retirement communities, including Florida and Arizona."
Boomer homes to flood US market, but who will buy them? | Fox Business

I would hate to think that FoxNews would be wrong. There are many divergent thoughts on this subject which doesn't help long term TV government planning.

Villagesgal 11-25-2019 06:20 PM

My home on a championship golf course has almost tripled in value north of 466, so I'm not sure what youre6talking about that values north aren't rising.