Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Landscape Talk (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/landscape-talk-129/)
-   -   Have you bought palms from a pickup seller? (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/landscape-talk-129/have-you-bought-palms-pickup-seller-300209/)

Northerner52 11-25-2019 06:57 AM

Have you bought palms from a pickup seller?

1 Attachment(s)
Unique Plans and Landscaping stoped by and offered a palms installed immediately. Have any experience?

Price seems good. $350 for this small palm

Attachment 81937

dewilson58 11-25-2019 07:48 AM

"Too good to be true"???

Hmmmmmmm.

CWGUY 11-25-2019 08:17 AM

:ohdear: I would never do business with a company that can't follow the rules. Soliciting is not allowed in the Villages. It will never end until all start saying no. And don't forget..... sometimes when you are looking for a "good buy" you wind up with a "good-bye" :wave:

jebartle 11-25-2019 08:27 AM

I'm the self-appointed "palm hater", bugs, rats and HIGH maintenance, other than that I'm crazy about them!
If you look at the meticulous landscaping here in Villages, the only hiccup is palm leaves everywhere!

villagetinker 11-25-2019 08:31 AM

OP, you may also find the palms are not suitable for our location and you will have problems in the future when the temperatures are out of range for your palms, if i recall correctly Queen palms are relatively cheap, but not a good choice for our location, good for south Florida where they come from. You will probably get no 'warranty' on the palms. IMHO, I will not do any business with someone stopping by and selling from a truck. Call Seniors Against Crime first.

dewilson58 11-25-2019 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by villagetinker (Post 1697083)
OP, you may also find the palms are not suitable for our location and you will have problems in the future when the temperatures are out of range for your palms, if i recall correctly Queen palms are relatively cheap, but not a good choice for our location, good for south Florida where they come from. You will probably get no 'warranty' on the palms. IMHO, I will not do any business with someone stopping by and selling from a truck. Call Seniors Against Crime first.

My exception to this rule is the ice cream truck.

:a040:

karostay 11-25-2019 08:40 AM

I did was stupid decision on my part.Died in 3 years

wdonze 11-25-2019 08:56 AM

I have heard of palms sold from a pickup (usually with no signage on the truck). They plant them, take your money, and you smile thinking what a great deal you got. The next morning you look out to admire your new palms only to see they are gone. Seems that they came back in the middle of the night, dug them up, and are off to the next sucker. Beware!

quietpine 11-25-2019 09:53 AM

Our neighbors bought from them. When one tree died in the first year it was replaced. The problem with this company is they aren’t landscape designers, they dig holes and stick palms into them.

champion6 11-25-2019 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wdonze (Post 1697095)
I have heard of palms sold from a pickup (usually with no signage on the truck). They plant them, take your money, and you smile thinking what a great deal you got. The next morning you look out to admire your new palms only to see they are gone. Seems that they came back in the middle of the night, dug them up, and are off to the next sucker. Beware!

This occurred recently in TV? You heard this? I have never heard this in 8 years. I have never read this on TOTV. I'm shocked!

ditka41 11-25-2019 11:48 AM

Sorry to say that I fell for that deal a few years ago. Poor quality palms, a severed irrigation line, and no phone calls returned. Never again! All my subsequent plants were from local, reputable sources with no problems. DO NOT pay any of them in advance.

dewilson58 11-25-2019 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by champion6 (Post 1697134)
This occurred recently in TV? You heard this? I have never heard this in 8 years. I have never read this on TOTV. I'm shocked!

How about the guy driving around with steaks. He has excess inventory and is selling very cheap.

:ohdear:

OrangeBlossomBaby 11-25-2019 12:32 PM

Ask them for their company office phone number and address, and a copy of their sales permit and license to operate. Tell them you need it so you can call the County and verify that you're doing business with someone legally authorized to perform the work.

That should get them gone pretty quick. If they're willing to stick around while you check their credentials, they might be worth doing business with. But my guess is they won't stick around long enough to even give you the information you ask them for.

Marathon Man 11-25-2019 12:36 PM

It has been said many times before - Never do business with someone who knocks on your door.

Ozzello 11-25-2019 06:15 PM

I have a real landscape company, and install that palm for 300 with a 1 year warrantee. Haven't seen a robi die from the cold since 1998 and then it was less than 10% after a 50 year cycle freeze (in the teens for over 5 hours), all North of 466.
Crazy how the palm haters will give false information. See Betrock's Guide to Cold Hardy Palms for the truth from the real expert on palms in Florida. Or message me.