Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Outside water spigot (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/outside-water-spigot-300276/)

FrankD 11-26-2019 12:42 PM

Outside water spigot

Why does the outside water spigot cause a vibrating noise when using it. Also, I’m using a retractable hose and when I turn it off the water sprays out at the spigot

mokey 11-26-2019 12:53 PM

It's the back-flow preventer

dewilson58 11-26-2019 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mokey (Post 1697406)
It's the back-flow preventer

Bingo

CWGUY 11-26-2019 01:25 PM

Another thread:

https://www.talkofthevillages.com/fo...ghlight=spigot

retiredguy123 11-26-2019 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FrankD (Post 1697405)
Why does the outside water spigot cause a vibrating noise when using it. Also, I’m using a retractable hose and when I turn it off the water sprays out at the spigot

The vibrating noise may be a defect in the backflow preventer. If the backflow preventer moves up and down on the spigot, try pushing it all the way up or down. If the backflow preventer does not move on the spigot, make sure the spigot is tightly mounted to the wall, and the valve stem is not loose. Another thing you can try is to tighten the set screw on the backflow preventer. The spigot shouldn't vibrate. But, it is normal for water to flow out of the holes around the backflow preventer to prevent water from backflowing into your house, when the hose retracts. Good luck.

USA2170 11-27-2019 08:03 AM

Spigot Vibration......ok all you rocket techs, removed BACKFLOW PREVENTER, made sure everything was right to the home. No difference.

villagetinker 11-27-2019 08:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by USA2170 (Post 1697521)
Spigot Vibration......ok all you rocket techs, removed BACKFLOW PREVENTER, made sure everything was right to the home. No difference.

The backflow preventers are required by law, please put it back on. As for the noise, try a different hose, I am guessing that you have a hydraulic tuner circuit. Let us know if that 'fixes' the noise.

retiredguy123 11-27-2019 08:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by USA2170 (Post 1697521)

Does it vibrate with the hose detached? If so, it sounds like the spigot is not firmly attached to the exterior wall.

ckcapaul 11-27-2019 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by villagetinker (Post 1697522)
The backflow preventers are required by law, please put it back on. As for the noise, try a different hose, I am guessing that you have a hydraulic tuner circuit. Let us know if that 'fixes' the noise.

Ours will make noise at a very specific flow rate.

OhioBuckeye 11-27-2019 10:47 AM

Ohiobuckeye

Quote:

Originally Posted by FrankD (Post 1697405)

Yes, it's back flow to keep water out of about a foot back into the spigot to keep from freezing if it gets to cold. Everybodies does that, it's a built in safety!

CWGUY 11-27-2019 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OhioBuckeye (Post 1697587)
Yes, it's back flow to keep water out of about a foot back into the spigot to keep from freezing if it gets to cold. Everybodies does that, it's a built in safety!

:ho: Back flow preventers are used to protect potable water supplies from contamination or pollution due to backflow. :) I think what you are talking about is a "frost free sillcock"

retiredguy123 11-27-2019 12:16 PM

My spigot does not vibrate with or without a hose attached.

OhioBuckeye 11-27-2019 11:12 PM

CWGUY, yes that’s what I’m talking about but the comment wasn’t real clear then. But the spray when turning ON or OFF does prevent from freezing because it does leave an air pocket about a foot back. Yea, I didn’t think about what you said, thanks for clearing that up for me!

Mikeodonnell73 11-28-2019 06:46 AM

The vibration is probably caused by the 90 degree elbow changing the direction of the water. You can put cotton or something soft next to the pipe where it goes through the wall. The second item is when you close off the hose nozzle the water pressure builders up and the hose isn't as tight as it should be and the joint leaks.

jarodrig 11-28-2019 07:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OhioBuckeye (Post 1697728)
CWGUY, yes that’s what I’m talking about but the comment wasn’t real clear then. But the spray when turning ON or OFF does prevent from freezing because it does leave an air pocket about a foot back. Yea, I didn’t think about what you said, thanks for clearing that up for me!

An air pocket a foot back ??? I don’t think so . You’re not going to “push back” an air pocket against about 45 psi (home water pressure)