Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Is the music at the Squares unbearably LOUD? (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/music-squares-unbearably-loud-300321/)

VApeople 11-27-2019 09:36 PM

Is the music at the Squares unbearably LOUD?

When we first came here for a visit four years ago, we enjoyed the music at Lake Sumter.

Tonight we were up there and they had Johnny Wild (or Dee) and his group playing some good music. At the first part of the second set, they turned it up so loud that we could not stand it, even if sat back by the lake. So we left.

We have noticed that other groups are louder than they used to be.

What is your opinion?

npwalters 11-27-2019 09:41 PM

I was there for the second set and it actually seemed less loud than normal to me. I was hoping they would crank it up. Guess that's why some like vanilla and some like chocolate.

ckcapaul 11-27-2019 09:44 PM

Some bands are louder than need, most are good

eyc234 11-27-2019 09:50 PM

nope!

anothersteve 11-27-2019 10:16 PM

Uncle Bob's Rock Shop, Penta, The Hooligans, American Martian, Smokin Torpedoes.....the louder the better.
Steve

OrangeBlossomBaby 11-27-2019 10:23 PM

We saw a band last week in Spanish Springs that would've been great if the lead singer's microphone didn't sound like the battery was dying. It was all raspy and distorted, you could hear the crackles. It didn't seem too loud to me, just inferior or defective equipment.

bagboy 11-27-2019 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VApeople (Post 1697707)
When we first came here for a visit four years ago, we enjoyed the music at Lake Sumter.

Tonight we were up there and they had Johnny Wild (or Dee) and his group playing some good music. At the first part of the second set, they turned it up so loud that we could not stand it, even if sat back by the lake. So we left.

We have noticed that other groups are louder than they used to be.

What is your opinion?

My opinion is, when you go somewhere to listen to music, and it's too loud for you, you are getting too old to relax and have a good time. The name is Johnny WILD and the delights, not chamber music.

EdFNJ 11-27-2019 10:32 PM

In my opinion, yes. Since last spring or summer or whenever it was when they installed new sound systems. We used to go into the square almost every night for the "loud" rock bands like Johhny Wild and it was bearable sitting in the middle areas. Now when we sit outside across the street at Starbucks very often it's impossible to carry on a conversation with others at the table. I have a sound measuring app on my phone which has been pretty highly rated as being quite accurate and very often it reaches 90db and occasionally the "dangerous" area of 100db and this is outside across the street at Starbucks. Of course it depends on the band and the type of music but those same R&R bands were very bearable in the square in the past but now are unbearable even across the street. My hearing is fine, just had it checked 3 days ago. :) I like loud music, but it has become painful at times recently. It's partly the fault of the guy running around with the iPad adjusting sound levels. I think he is hard of hearing. :D :D

EdFNJ 11-27-2019 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bagboy (Post 1697719)
My opinion is, when you go somewhere to listen to music, and it's too loud for you, you are getting too old to relax and have a good time.

LMAO. That statement makes no sense whatsoever. Listening to and enjoying any type of music, or relaxing, or having fun, does not equate to painful volume levels.

snorkey1 11-28-2019 06:33 AM

Yes music is too loud. If you are not deaf you will be after going to the square. I also find the shows at the Savannah are very very loud.
I would like to keep my hearing as long as possible, its a shame to have to wear ear plugs.

JimJohnson 11-28-2019 06:39 AM

Considering the cost, I think they are perfect.

bilcon 11-28-2019 07:44 AM

Johnny Wild and The Delights. Awesome band. Turn your hearing aide down.

ts12755 11-28-2019 07:45 AM

No. Been here 4 years and get up to the squares at least 2, sometimes 3 times a week.

Aces4 11-28-2019 07:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bagboy (Post 1697719)
My opinion is, when you go somewhere to listen to music, and it's too loud for you, you are getting too old to relax and have a good time. The name is Johnny WILD and the delights, not chamber music.

Funny but not pertinent to the OP’s question. The problem lies within the crowd itself. Many, if not most, people over the age of 50 have lost a good portion of their hearing and only enjoy the music and conversation at very high decibels. That is killer for those of us with acute hearing and is, as stated earlier, painful in high decibel venues.

I would suggest you try to avoid those places since it’s not comfortable entertainment and can damage your normal hearing.

dewilson58 11-28-2019 07:51 AM

Sound Levels are not always professionally set.

Agree, so are too loud..............but then we just head out.

Not a reason for me to move out of TV.

Oh, Happy Thanksgiving to all !!!!!