Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Contractors and Services (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/contractors-services-91/)
-   -   Driveway finish (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/contractors-services-91/driveway-finish-300346/)

dsnrbec 11-28-2019 03:14 PM

Driveway finish

Looking for a contractor that finishes driveways. We are considering pavers or stencils so ideally, it would be someone who does both.

villagetinker 11-28-2019 04:29 PM

Be very careful about pavers, 1 or 2 neighbors have already had these removed due the high maintenance requirements. We had out drivewat painted, using stencils to look line cobble stone, , that was about 5 years ago, unfortunately, it appears the guy who did our "driveways by jay" may no longer be doing this work. He used a XYLENE based paint which appears to have a very good life time. Just getting ready for the first sealing. I would suggest that whoever you get to paint your driveway use a similar product. Also, if there was any previous finish applied, this will need to be removed ($$$$), IMHO, do NOT allow a new finish to be applied over an old one, I did this by accident, the old one has failed, and now I am stuck with a bad spot in the new finish.....

RobertWR 11-29-2019 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by villagetinker (Post 1697886)
Be very careful about pavers, 1 or 2 neighbors have already had these removed due the high maintenance requirements...….

What are these maintenance requirements?

Investment Painting Contractors 11-29-2019 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobertWR (Post 1697985)

Good Pavers need to have sand brushed into the cracks and sealed about every 5 years

mbraun179 11-29-2019 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dsnrbec (Post 1697883)
Looking for a contractor that finishes driveways. We are considering pavers or stencils so ideally, it would be someone who does both.

B & D concrete creations hands down the best. Get your bid in early with Ramaldo

villagetinker 11-29-2019 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobertWR (Post 1697985)

As noted above, reapplying sand, replacing cracked pavers (note, do NOT use thin pavers), and resealing. For some reason, pavers seem to need resealing more often than paint, my casual observation from what I have seen in the neighborhood.

JoMar 11-29-2019 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbraun179 (Post 1697995)
B & D concrete creations hands down the best. Get your bid in early with Ramaldo

Who else have you used to provide a comparison?

retiredguy123 11-29-2019 01:51 PM

I am extremely happy with my bare concrete finish. No cost and no maintenance. When I want to see a painted or paved driveway, I look at the neighbors' driveways.

genobambino 11-30-2019 09:21 AM

Pavers have to be sealed every couple years or they look like crap, plus replacing broken ones, which happens a lot. Also I hate that lip at the garage door, you have a 2 plus inch bump going into the garage.. I personally like just the plain concrete, get it power washed once in a while and your good. Painted ones can get expensive to reseal if they use the good stuff, had one in a previous house and hated it.

Jawor1234 11-30-2019 07:25 PM

I agree on the maintenance of pavers. Would never get them, but it came with the house and too expensive to remove at this point!!