Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   All About Golf Carts and Things (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/all-about-golf-carts-things-156/)
-   -   Ethanol free gas (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/all-about-golf-carts-things-156/ethanol-free-gas-300413/)

Rollie 12-01-2019 06:24 AM

Ethanol free gas

Just purchased my first new gas powered Yamaha. Looking for opinions on gas. I was under the impression that ethanol free gas is better for small engines. I noticed that they sell it at The Villages Golf store, but the price is over a dollar a gallon more expensive than regular gas. I noticed the other day that WaWa sell non ethanol gas for about 60 cent a gallon cheaper.

Rollie

ckcapaul 12-01-2019 06:55 AM

I use regular gas in my small engines, use sta-bil for the ones that sit a lot. Don't want the ethanol to separate. My boat always has sta-bil, lawn mowers, golf carts when not using for a while.

Bay Kid 12-01-2019 07:07 AM

Whichever fuel you choose stick with that type of fuel. Not good to mix, or to switch back and forth.

anothersteve 12-01-2019 07:39 AM

1 Attachment(s)
If it's a new cart look on the gas tank or the gas cap. If there is a sticker that says either E10 or E5 you can use regular pump gas.
Steve

biker1 12-01-2019 08:26 AM

Look at your owners manual. It states that fuels containing more than 10% ethanol are not recommended. "Regular" gas is 10% ethanol so you will be fine using "regular".

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rollie (Post 1698362)
Just purchased my first new gas powered Yamaha. Looking for opinions on gas. I was under the impression that ethanol free gas is better for small engines. I noticed that they sell it at The Villages Golf store, but the price is over a dollar a gallon more expensive than regular gas. I noticed the other day that WaWa sell non ethanol gas for about 60 cent a gallon cheaper.

Rollie

champion6 12-01-2019 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by biker1 (Post 1698386)
Look at your owners manual. It states that fuels containing more than 10% ethanol are not recommended. "Regular" gas is 10% ethanol so you will be fine using "regular".

:agree:

villagetinker 12-01-2019 09:00 AM

Older small engines (and for that matter older cars, antiques) had components in the fuel system from the tank to the carburetor that did not tolerate fuels with ethanol which caused corrosion or problems with rubber components. Most if not all of the newer small engines will now toloerate fuels with some level of ethanol.

tophcfa 12-01-2019 09:35 AM

It really depends, if you are a full time resident and use your cart on a daily basis then fuel with ethanol is fine. If you are a part time resident, and your cart sits for long periods of time without being used, then it’s definitely worth it to use ethanol free gas. Over time ethanol separates from the gas and evaporates, leaving behind a gummy substance that clogs components in the fuel delivery system and can lead to expensive repairs. This problem can be minimized by consistently adding a good quality fuel stabilizer to ethanol gas. We are part time residents and never use fuel with ethanol in our carts. Our limited time in the Villages is so precious, I don’t want to wast any of that time dealing with golf cart problems.

karostay 12-01-2019 01:51 PM

If you run it regularly standard 10% ethanol is fine .For long periods of sitting I fill with non ethanol eliminates the chances of water condensation why spend the $$

golf2140 12-01-2019 05:04 PM

Save your money.

npwalters 12-01-2019 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by karostay (Post 1698457)
If you run it regularly standard 10% ethanol is fine .For long periods of sitting I fill with non ethanol eliminates the chances of water condensation why spend the $$

Exactly. BTW, you can get ethanol free gas at the new Wawa (near Lowes) for about 40 cents per gallon more than regular. Much cheaper than Villages Carts.

rustyp 12-01-2019 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by npwalters (Post 1698490)
Exactly. BTW, you can get ethanol free gas at the new Wawa (near Lowes) for about 40 cents per gallon more than regular. Much cheaper than Villages Carts.

Don't forget to bring your gate pass or you won't be able to get out of TV to get to Wawa.

red tail 12-01-2019 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rustyp (Post 1698491)
Don't forget to bring your gate pass or you won't be able to get out of TV to get to Wawa.

drive to wawa to save a buck?

karostay 12-01-2019 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by red tail (Post 1698494)
drive to wawa to save a buck?

Then go to Aldies and spend it save more

ckcapaul 12-01-2019 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by karostay (Post 1698495)
Then go to Aldies and spend it save more

Drove there Tuesday to check it out, could see Walmart from there.
:1rotfl: