Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Landscape Talk (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/landscape-talk-129/)
-   -   The weeds that divide us. (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/landscape-talk-129/weeds-divide-us-300533/)

graciegirl 12-05-2019 09:00 AM

The weeds that divide us.

1 Attachment(s)
Weeds in foundation plantings here in The Villages divide us in many ways. Some of us will always view weeds in mulch as just pure cussed laziness and others will try to convince us we are spoiling the world with herbicides.

What say YOU?

dewilson58 12-05-2019 09:25 AM

Weeds???.................roll'm & smoke'm

graciegirl 12-05-2019 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dewilson58 (Post 1699420)

Weeds???.................roll'm & smoke'm

That too. I don't smoke and I don't chew and I don't go with boys who do. I don't even drink anymore. (I was never any good at it)

JimJohnson 12-05-2019 09:43 AM

Chemicals cause cancer and retardation. I pull my weeds and use barriers and rock. No mulch and no chemicals.

Madelaine Amee 12-05-2019 10:05 AM

NO chemicals.

Two Bills 12-05-2019 10:51 AM

In UK my wife beats weeds by planting so many flowers, shrubs etc. that weeds can't get a look in. The odd one that penetrates, is quickly pulled.
I do Veg patch, and lawn. Pull the odd weed by hand when they appear.
No Chemical fertiliser, weed control, or bug killers.
Just home made compost, and farm manure. Make our own liquid fertiliser from watered down manure. Works a treat.
Hard work? Sometimes, but a walk round each day, keeps the baddies at bay!
Having said that, lost most of my late leeks this year to a new bug ( Allium Leaf Miner ) I have not had before, and I was late putting the netting over the cabbages to keep off the butterflies, and the resulting caterpillers had a feast!!
You can't win'em all.

graciegirl 12-05-2019 11:07 AM

My husband (mostly) and I work to keep weeds at bay in our foundation plantings, because we were taught to do so and we kinda think not doing it is lazy. We love a pretty yard. Bending over is NOT as easy as it once was and the summer heat is very strong here.

I posted this thread because I know many enjoy a good debate and also knowing we will not change a single person's mind. I am proud to know all of you who work hard in your yards. You know who you are.

OpusX1 12-05-2019 12:07 PM

I keep my weeds at bay by spraying them with soapy vinegar. Takes me about 30 minutes a week in the summer. Less in the dry season.

CFrance 12-05-2019 12:15 PM

I wish people had more weeds so they wouldn't see the dog poop I leave in their yards.:duck:

graciegirl 12-05-2019 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CFrance (Post 1699493)
I wish people had more weeds so they wouldn't see the dog poop I leave in their yards.:duck:

Dear Crosby's mom.

You just told a fib. Santa is watching.

Merry Christmas.

tophcfa 12-05-2019 01:03 PM

We tried the no chemical weed pulling thing as well as using vinegar and soap. As part time residents it is impossible to keep on top of the weeds. Every time we came to our Villages home we were wasting hours of our precious Villages time pulling weeds. Now we pay our lawn mowing guy to spray our weeds and when we show up at our house the gardens look great, and we can spend our free time golfing, swimming, bike riding, dancing, and doing all the other fun stuff the Villages offers. Blast those suckers with herbicide and don't look back!

JimJohnson 12-05-2019 01:25 PM

I would love to see The Villages allow all rock yards. Very expensive to start, but low maintenance cost.

CFrance 12-05-2019 01:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by graciegirl (Post 1699501)
Dear Crosby's mom.

You just told a fib. Santa is watching.

Merry Christmas.

Busted.

JimJohnson 12-05-2019 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CFrance (Post 1699515)
Busted.

Almost 13000 posts and I can honestly say I have never witnessed a negative post from this person.

:bigbow:

Velvet 12-05-2019 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CFrance (Post 1699515)
Busted.

You da funniest. lol