Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Will the Real Daily Sun deliverer please stand up? (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/will-real-daily-sun-deliverer-please-stand-up-300546/)

Villageswimmer 12-05-2019 02:21 PM

Will the Real Daily Sun deliverer please stand up?

About 2 weeks ago, there was a green flyer in the bag with my newspaper. It said the typical Merry Christmas...followed by a name and full address in Umatilla. I set the flyer on my desk with the intent of sending her a check.

Today, in with my DS is a Christmas card! This one is from a different woman with an Oxford FL P.O. Box address.

Neither name is the “deliverer” I sent the check to last year although I certainly understand that could have changed.

Hmmm.

Nucky 12-05-2019 02:24 PM

It Sounds like a Scamaroonie or Double Dipping. Just bad, bad business. No good deed goes unpunished!

Bogie Shooter 12-05-2019 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Villageswimmer (Post 1699526)
About 2 weeks ago, there was a green flyer in the bag with my newspaper. It said the typical Merry Christmas...followed by a name and full address in Umatilla. I set the flyer on my desk with the intent of sending her a check.

Today, in with my DS is a Christmas card! This one is from a different woman with an Oxford FL P.O. Box address.

Neither name is the “deliverer” I sent the check to last year although I certainly understand that could have changed.

Hmmm.

Call the circulation department...

Jdmiata 12-05-2019 02:26 PM

Call the paper. They will give you the proper name.

retiredguy123 12-05-2019 02:33 PM

Regardless of who it is, I think soliciting for a tip is wrong, inappropriate, and in bad taste.

Rapscallion St Croix 12-05-2019 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by retiredguy123 (Post 1699531)
Regardless of who it is, I think soliciting for a tip is wrong, inappropriate, and in bad taste.

I feel the same way about redundancy.

Chatbrat 12-05-2019 02:50 PM

Just got solicitations from my paper & mail persons

CWGUY 12-05-2019 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rapscallion St Croix (Post 1699534)

:coolsmiley: I agree! And how about the people who think Tipping is a city in China? They know who they are...... 1-2-3 :ho:

justjim 12-05-2019 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by retiredguy123 (Post 1699531)

As I remember, our previous newspaper had an official Holiday card with the Carriers name and address where a tip could be mailed. Most of us never have met our Carrier who usually delivers the paper by 4:30 each and every morning. Without an official card, calling circulation is a good option too.

As a “paper boy”, I can remember hoping for a large “Christmas tip” as I made the monthly collection. Of course, business is different today.

bagboy 12-05-2019 03:57 PM

You can make sure your carrier receives a holiday tip by calling the paper and tipping through them.

New Englander 12-05-2019 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chatbrat (Post 1699536)
Just got solicitations from my paper & mail persons

Got one from my mail room gal.

vintageogauge 12-05-2019 05:37 PM

I too was a paper boy and really appreciated any tips I would receive around the holidays. it wasn't much, a quarter here and there and if really lucky a dollar bill. They deserve it, we never had to call the DS to say our paper was not delivered or it was late. Same with our mail girl, she does a great job and has a great personality.

Marathon Man 12-05-2019 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rapscallion St Croix (Post 1699534)

And the response of the week award goes to ...

CFrance 12-05-2019 06:15 PM

I won't bore anyone with all the changes that have gone on in our lives the last two years, but suffice to say it involved many mail forwards, address changes, and having no address in TV for 8 months but still getting mail here. Our mail room gal sorted (so to speak) through all of it, catching all the USPS mistakes and fixing them. If she wants to give me a Christmas card with her address on it, I say good for her. None of this "that's her job" stuff. She does her job above and beyond her stated duties and deserves a good Christmas tip.

mamamia54 12-05-2019 06:21 PM

That’s a good business in itself. Go around early in the morning and put cards in everyone’s paper and sit back and watch the dough come in. Shameful!