Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Golf in The Villages (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/golf-villages-216/)
-   -   2020 Championship Golf Rates (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/golf-villages-216/2020-championship-golf-rates-300596/)

MrGolf 12-07-2019 09:45 AM

2020 Championship Golf Rates

The 2020 Championship rates have been posted. This will do nothing but push more golfers outside the bubble during the “busy season” . Playing 18 holes and bringing a guest has become somewhat of a luxury item. Experience dictates that more tee times will be available as residents look for alternatives outside. Please don’t tell me to compare our rates to prices “up north.” We are not up north. We are in Central Florida. This is good news for those that own courses within a 30 mile radius of TV.

stan the man 12-07-2019 09:51 AM

Don't buy a Lamborghini if you can't afford the price of gas

tophcfa 12-07-2019 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrGolf (Post 1699915)
The 2020 Championship rates have been posted. This will do nothing but push more golfers outside the bubble during the “busy season” . Playing 18 holes and bringing a guest has become somewhat of a luxury item. Experience dictates that more tee times will be available as residents look for alternatives outside. Please don’t tell me to compare our rates to prices “up north.” We are not up north. We are in Central Florida. This is good news for those that own courses within a 30 mile radius of TV.

The above post begs the question, what are the courses within a thirty mile radius of the bubble that will benefit from the new Villages golf rates? To qualify the courses need to be similar quality and conditions, cost significantly less (including a golf cart), and be relatively easy to get to within about a 40 minute car ride.

Any course that doesn’t meet the above criteria would not be an option when we can load up our clubs into our own golf cart and drive to 12 different courses between 5 and 40 minutes away.

dewilson58 12-07-2019 10:12 AM

Played some of the best courses in the USA.
I understood the course conditions here prior to purchasing a home.
Course conditions really have not changed over the last 15 years.
Yes, there are good months and not so good months.

What I like is golf cart accessible.
Great value to me.

JSR22 12-07-2019 10:18 AM

Agree

Quote:

Originally Posted by dewilson58 (Post 1699925)
Played some of the best courses in the USA.
I understood the course conditions here prior to purchasing a home.
Course conditions really have not changed over the last 15 years.
Yes, there are good months and not so good months.

What I like is golf cart accessible.
Great value to me.

We moved here for the accessible Championship Courses. My husband is priority , plays 3 days a week and is very happy. He only goes off site for Golden Ocala and several courses in Orlando.

bagboy 12-07-2019 10:30 AM

Make a note of who complains about golf course conditions in the near future. ..

karostay 12-07-2019 10:33 AM

:popcorn::icon_bored:

HoosierPa 12-08-2019 07:21 AM

Try Continental Country Club 18 hole Championship Course on SR 44 in Wildwood. All fairways and tees have been over seeded for the winter and it is in much improved condition.
(352) 748-3293.

You will save a lot of money, get a new electric cart and get free drink after your round of golf. (2 for 1 coupon)

GoPacers 12-08-2019 07:46 AM

I'm not involved in setting rates but logic would suggest that prices will be set to provide income to maintain the course and to ensure there is the desired amount of play. If the rates are too low the revenue won't support the course maintenance and there will be too many people playing - thereby putting more stress on the course. Set the rates too high and people won't play and there will be insufficient revenue to maintain the course(s). The rates here are extremely competitive compared to "back home." The quality of the championship courses is generally very good to excellent. I don't see any problem with the new rates and I also don't see any problem if people want to play elsewhere. I expect the Villages courses will continue to do just fine and there may end up being more options for golfers. The net being a good outcome for everyone other than those that want to play championship courses at public course rates.

Love2Swim 12-08-2019 08:22 AM

I guess it depends on where "back home" is. Compared to "back home" for us, the rates here are high, and we are providing our own golf carts! The conditions may be good right now, but there were several years that the conditions, as a whole, were mediocre.

Singerlady 12-08-2019 09:01 AM

That wasn’t nice! An 11.9% increase! Obscene. Wish my investments got that!

anothersteve 12-08-2019 09:28 AM

A couple of interesting reads. Might put costs a little more in prospective.

Golf Property Analysts How Much Does Golf Cost?

https://www.usga.org/content/usga/ho...intenance.html

Steve

MrGolf 12-08-2019 09:32 AM

That's my point. That is a significant increase. It also sets the bar for the other seasons when the snowbirds have gone home and the full time residents are left with many excuses regarding subpar course conditions. Some will fault overcrowding. In my 65 years of being around courses both private and public I don't agree. We all loved the late afternoon summer rates that gave us the opportunity to brave the heat and get a few holes in very inexpensively. Given this past summer's prices it appears that those days are gone. Sad

MrGolf 12-08-2019 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Love2Swim (Post 1700112)
I guess it depends on where "back home" is. Compared to "back home" for us, the rates here are high, and we are providing our own golf carts! The conditions may be good right now, but there were several years that the conditions, as a whole, were mediocre.

Valid point. I was a part of a seniors group (20-30 guys) in Western PA that played every Monday at courses within a 40 minute drive. That encompassed eastern OH, northern WV and Western PA. This was during the prime season. Point being the cost never exceeded $30 which included a cart. These were decent tracks. Just saying that courses can survive and maintain quality courses by charging this rate.

forebubba 12-08-2019 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrGolf (Post 1699915)

More greed by the Developer. Over 10% increase? For what?