Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Village Kitchen (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/village-kitchen-121/)
-   -   Goulash or Chop Suey (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/village-kitchen-121/goulash-chop-suey-300727/)

rjn5656 12-11-2019 03:49 AM

Goulash or Chop Suey

What do you call it? Where are you from?

Kerry Azz 12-11-2019 07:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rjn5656 (Post 1700807)
What do you call it? Where are your from?

No idea what’s the dish made from?

rjn5656 12-11-2019 08:12 AM

We are from Upstate Ny and called it goulash. Our neighbors from Maine called it chop suey. Just curious what other parts of the country called it.

JSR22 12-11-2019 08:28 AM

In NJ they are 2 entirely different items. Chop Suey comes from a Chinese restaurant and ghoulash is a stew made with meat and vegetables and seasoned with paprika.

retiredguy123 12-11-2019 08:44 AM

One is a Chinese meal and the other is a shoe.

oldtimes 12-11-2019 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JSR22 (Post 1700845)
In NJ they are 2 entirely different items. Chop Suey comes from a Chinese restaurant and ghoulash is a stew made with meat and vegetables and seasoned with paprika.

I believe the OP is referring to American Chop Suey which is still not the same as Goulash

American Chop Suey Recipe - Food.com

laryb 12-11-2019 05:09 PM

My mother and father made American Chop Suey for us, and they also called it both American Chop Suey and goulash. It's hamburg, tomato sauce and elbow macaroni. They would also put diced breakfast sausage in it, though that's not traditional. Other variations included diced green pepper and/or onions. In southeastern Ma., it was served almost weekly in school cafeteria's. I still make it to this day and love it. It's a special treat as I'm trying to cut back on pasta

JSR22 12-11-2019 05:28 PM

Thanks

Quote:

Originally Posted by laryb (Post 1700950)
My mother and father made American Chop Suey for us, and they also called it both American Chop Suey and goulash. It's hamburg, tomato sauce and elbow macaroni. They would also put diced breakfast sausage in it, though that's not traditional. Other variations included diced green pepper and/or onions. In southeastern Ma., it was served almost weekly in school cafeteria's. I still make it to this day and love it. It's a special treat as I'm trying to cut back on pasta

I learned something new today. I had never heard of American Chop Suey. We never had that in our school's cafeterias.

graciegirl 12-11-2019 07:42 PM

I thought Chop Suey came in a can and had bean sprouts in it. I have heard Goulash is similar to Ohio's Johnny Marzetti without the brown sugar.

Here is Johnny Marzetti recipe from Ohio that used to be taken to every wake, pot luck and party and picnic.

A pound of hamburger.
One onion minced. Brown together.
Add...One can of tomato sauce and one can of tomatoes
One tablespoon of yellow mustard and one tablespoon of Worcestershire sauce and a a little bit of vinegar and about 3/4 of a cup of brown sugar. Add either cooked macaroni or noodles and about a half cup of grated parmesan and 3/4 cup of American or Cheddar cheese.

Feeds many unexpected guests quickly.

Rosebud2020 12-11-2019 11:13 PM

Some of these comments could make one gag, but the real scoop is that goulash is a Hungarian stew type dish and chop suey is Chinese.

CFrance 12-12-2019 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rosebud2020 (Post 1701009)
Some of these comments could make one gag, but the real scoop is that goulash is a Hungarian stew type dish and chop suey is Chinese.

From the posts, and none of them made me gag--it appears to depend on where you are from as to what it is called. Just like the sauce/gravy issue.

Western PA has a lot of Eastern European families going back to when coal mining and steel fabrication were big. Definitely we called it goulash. But there are different ways to make goulash as well.

bilcon 12-12-2019 03:57 PM

Rosebud is right on. Don't go to Hungry and ask for Chop Suey. Their Goulash is great and their paprika is great. Last time we were there, we even went to the Paprika Museum. Seriously! I never knew there were so many types of paprika. Never saw that in Chop Suey. In my opinion there is definitely a difference in the two dishes. I used to compare Goulash with Beef stew in NY , but never with Chop Suey. Sorry I was so long winded.

"I have never made a mistake in my life. I thought I did once, but I was wrong".

Velvet 12-12-2019 04:35 PM

The wording reminds me of when I was at Cocoa Beach and I asked for crème brûlée which was on their menu, and they brought me chocolate pudding with berry sauce on top. When I protested they said it is their version of crème brûlée.

NotGolfer 12-12-2019 05:15 PM

We're from the Upper Midwest...goulash was/is browned hamburger, tomato sauce and elbow macaroni. Chop Suey came in a can, don't think it was ever warmed in the house I grew up in.

Fredster 12-12-2019 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rosebud2020 (Post 1701009)

:bigbow:
DescriptionGoulash is a stew or soup of meat and vegetables usually seasoned with paprika and other spices. Originating in medieval Hungary, goulash is a common meal predominantly eaten in Central Europe but also in other parts of Europe. It is one of the national dishes of Hungary and a symbol of the country.
Wikipedia