Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   TOTV Website and Mobile Suggestion Box (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/totv-website-mobile-suggestion-box-425/)
-   -   Way to limit who sends DMs to you? (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/totv-website-mobile-suggestion-box-425/way-limit-who-sends-dms-you-300734/)

OrangeBlossomBaby 12-11-2019 09:26 AM

Way to limit who sends DMs to you?

Not interested in blocking anyone from my view on the forum. I AM interested in preventing certain people from sending me DMs.

Is there a way to do that?

CWGUY 12-11-2019 10:09 AM

:) What's a DM?

graciegirl 12-11-2019 10:47 AM

They are called PM's here, meaning personal messages and are sent to folks in private because what they had to say was direct or in response to a post that may have gotten under their collar.

I sent one yesterday and it read;

I cannot underestimate how you should not underestimate me.

Search Engine Showdown: Google vs. Bing

Have you read, Think like Zuck?

It was because I was impatient with someone who explained to me the name of the person who owns Facebook.

blueash 12-11-2019 10:53 AM

Every one of you understood what was meant by DM, I think. The OP [original poster] is asking how to prevent private messages, or perhaps digital messages, using this forum.

Looking at the options offered I don't see a way to only block a person from sending a message. You can contact the administrator and ask that question. To do that go to the bottom of the page and just over the green stripe are several small choices including "contact us".

If there is a poster who is being abusive in their "DM's" I would suggest letting the administrator know about that abuse.

Blackie 12-11-2019 11:45 AM

OK enough fun.

Go to “USER CP” on top menu bar. On left hand side go to “Settings & options” and then to “Edit Options.”

You have some choices there that may help.

Kenswing 12-11-2019 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby (Post 1700862)
Not interested in blocking anyone from my view on the forum. I AM interested in preventing certain people from sending me DMs.

Is there a way to do that?

I would first ask the person you no longer wish to receive PM's from to stop sending them to you.

If that didn't work I would seek Moderator intervention.

If that didn't yield satisfactory results I would just delete said person's PM's before reading them.

Madelaine Amee 12-11-2019 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blackie (Post 1700893)
OK enough fun.

Go to “USER CP” on top menu bar. On left hand side go to “Settings & options” and then to “Edit Options.”

You have some choices there that may help.

How very nice of you to give the OP the information she needs.

Kenswing 12-11-2019 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Madelaine Amee (Post 1700898)
How very nice of you to give the OP the information she needs.

As I see it there's no way to stop just certain people from sending you a PM. It looks like it's all or nothing. You can limit it to just people on your contact list but I don't see an option to block just certain users.

Madelaine Amee 12-11-2019 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kenswing (Post 1700902)
As I see it there's no way to stop just certain people from sending you a PM. It looks like it's all or nothing. You can limit it to just people on your contact list but I don't see an option to block just certain users.

If someone annoys you they can be put on your blocked list and that includes the pms too. Or if you really want to get at them return the pm to their address unopened or unread.

Kenswing 12-11-2019 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Madelaine Amee (Post 1700925)
If someone annoys you they can be put on your blocked list and that includes the pms too. Or if you really want to get at them return the pm to their address unopened or unread.

I understand what you're saying. But the OP stated she didn't want to block anyone, just their PM's.

Madelaine Amee 12-11-2019 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kenswing (Post 1700929)
I understand what you're saying. But the OP stated she didn't want to block anyone, just their PM's.

Um, in that case I got nothing ....................

OrangeBlossomBaby 12-11-2019 06:12 PM

Thanks folks. Kenswing is spot-on. For now I'll just block that person entirely, since I don't want to add "everyone except that one person" to my contact list (which currently has no one on it). I just wanted to block one person's DMs.

For those of you who don't know the term, it stands for Direct Message. It is synonymous with Private Message, but used more widely throughout the rest of the intranetwebz :)

ColdNoMore 12-11-2019 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Madelaine Amee (Post 1700925)

Correct. :thumbup:

Even though a person may be blocked, a thread will still indicate that they have posted in a thread (just not the post itself) and you'll see an icon that gives you the opportunity to view their post if one wishes...while still stopping them from sending PM's.

Then again, as has been mentioned, one can still use the option of telling the nasty pest to stop sending personal messages and then if they continue...just forward the pest's PM's to management.
:ho: