Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Landscape Talk (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/landscape-talk-129/)
-   -   Trim oak tree growing over the wall onto our property? (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/landscape-talk-129/trim-oak-tree-growing-over-wall-onto-our-property-300736/)

billethkid 12-11-2019 10:28 AM

Trim oak tree growing over the wall onto our property?

Along the wall behind our home, on the road side of the wall there is a large oak tree that has several branches that have grown large enough to cross over the wall and touching the ground on our side of the wall.

I have called Downtoearth, that does the trimming. They said they would look into it. Explained as determining who will pay for it. I said it was no different than the bushes they trim when growing over the wall.
So now waiting to hear back from an "account manager".

Anybody have a similar experience?

Toymeister 12-11-2019 10:47 AM

I haven't run across this situation, however if you have the ability and it is an expensive quote which is up to you to pay; have you considered this 80.00 tool 9.5 In. 7 Amp Electric Pole Saw

If this isn't helpful to you it may be to someone who reads this

blueash 12-11-2019 11:24 AM

If the laws haven't changed, HERE and Here is a pretty good summary of tree limbs over property line rules in Florida

For those who don't click links, you can trim tree branches from a neighbor's tree only up to the property line. You may not go onto your neighbor's property to trim those branches without the neighbor's permission.

The same rules applies to roots.

Rapscallion St Croix 12-11-2019 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toymeister (Post 1700879)
I haven't run across this situation, however if you have the ability and it is an expensive quote which is up to you to pay; have you considered this 80.00 tool 9.5 In. 7 Amp Electric Pole Saw

Harbor Freight?

https://s3-us-west-1.amazonaws.com/h...china_meme.png

Toymeister 12-11-2019 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rapscallion St Croix (Post 1700890)
Harbor Freight?

Unless the poster is going into the tree trimming business this will work well. It has over 6,000 positive reviews.

TommyT 12-11-2019 11:57 AM

Who !!!

Who owns the tree??? A neighbor or the Villages. If the Villages, call property management and they will get this corrected. If a neighbor, ask them to either trim it back or give you written permission.
If you just go out and trim a tree and it get sick or dies, you might be liable !!

Marathon Man 12-11-2019 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TommyT (Post 1700899)
Who owns the tree??? A neighbor or the Villages. If the Villages, call property management and they will get this corrected. If a neighbor, ask them to either trim it back or give you written permission.
If you just go out and trim a tree and it get sick or dies, you might be liable !!

I agree with this. Talking the contractor does not seem like the correct path to take. They will need to be directed by someone to do the work. It's likely that they have only been directed to trim bushes, so triming a tree would not be the same to them.

n8xwb 12-11-2019 02:15 PM

You don't deal with the trimmer. Call the Villages VCDD. I believe their customer service number is 352-753-4508...We had a dying tree over the wall at the back of our Courtyard Villa. I called them complaining that the dead leaves were blowing over the wall and were then a nuisance in my yard. They took a look at the tree which was ⅔ dying and instead of pruning off the dead branches, they removed the entire tree...total time from complaint 'til remedy -- 6 weeks.

Good luck!

billethkid 12-11-2019 02:59 PM

Update.
I talked to TV property management.

Bush or tree on TV property/landscaping that grows over the wall onto your property is the home owners responsibility.

billethkid 12-11-2019 04:14 PM

///

Two Bills 12-11-2019 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by billethkid (Post 1700930)
Update.

Bush or tree on TV property/landscaping that grows over the wall onto your property is the home owners responsibility.

There you go then.
Cut down to boundary line.
Leave the cuttings (TV property) for them to clear.
"TIMBER!!"

Rosebud2020 12-11-2019 11:35 PM

What a Bummer!

Quote:

Originally Posted by billethkid (Post 1700930)
Update.

So here you are with an oak tree that was improperly planted. Yes -- improperly planted. Live Oaks at maturity are 50 ft. in diameter and 50 ft. tall. It never should have been planted where it would grow into/onto your property.

The Villages should be responsible for the entire trimming and upkeep. Good luck and what a shame but it's probably something akin to fighting city hall.

graciegirl 12-12-2019 05:20 AM

Who knows if the oak from a casual acorn grew or someone planted it.

Blueassh is right that the branches that hang in your yard are your responsibility to trim if you want them trimmed. I personally am beginning to view most Live Oaks as a nuisance that can fall and cause a lot of damage. Did any of you see the huge oak that fell during Irma and narrowly missed Laurel Manor Rec Center? It fortunately fell toward the parking lot, but still took days to chop up and haul away. If it had fallen toward the building it would have caused great damage to the building.

Topspinmo 12-12-2019 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toymeister (Post 1700879)

I have that limb saw and yes it works good on small libs 5 to 6 inch in diameter, it’s not going to cut limbs over 15 inches. Plus you have to bar and chain experience, the chain going get loose quickly and dull in hard wood which means you have to know how to sharpen Rhe chain and keep it tight. The reach has it’s limitations, over 15 feet due to angle of cut and leverage works good on soft wood.

Usually Oaks limbs growing outwards are Hugh. It may work on ends, when the trunk of the limbs get big a chainsaw needed. IMO not something someone should try with no experience in saws or trimming.

Rapscallion St Croix 12-12-2019 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rosebud2020 (Post 1701011)
So here you are with an oak tree that was improperly planted. Yes -- improperly planted. Live Oaks at maturity are 50 ft. in diameter and 50 ft. tall. It never should have been planted where it would grow into/onto your property.

The Villages should be responsible for the entire trimming and upkeep. Good luck and what a shame but it's probably something akin to fighting city hall.

Whoa! That is a huge exaggeration.