Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Landscape Talk (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/landscape-talk-129/)
-   -   Stressed Zoysia Lawn (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/landscape-talk-129/stressed-zoysia-lawn-300833/)

Chatbrat 12-15-2019 06:26 AM

Stressed Zoysia Lawn

Have several brown spots on our lawn, & the lawn looks lumpy--looking for solutions

GoPacers 12-15-2019 06:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chatbrat (Post 1701812)
Have several brown spots on our lawn, & the lawn looks lumpy--looking for solutions

I'd be interested in what you find. We've had the same problem for years and have replaced several sections of the yard with new sod, have tried different lawn companies and nothing seems to solve the problem. In some of the sections of new sod, the sod goes dormant. We've even had the soil tested and nothing is obvious.

fromct 12-15-2019 08:57 AM

You might find this helpful..........

Is Zoysia Grass Right for My Lawn? | Massey Services, Inc.

billethkid 12-15-2019 09:02 AM

Keeping a good looking lawn here is akin to trying to grow grass on a sand dune.

raynan 12-15-2019 09:30 AM

We found grubs in our lawn.

Bogie Shooter 12-15-2019 09:58 AM

Brown patch fungus? Look it up.

Joe V. 12-15-2019 10:02 AM

Brown patch in St. Augustine clears up as the weather gets hotter. Not sure about zoysia though.

JoMar 12-15-2019 12:25 PM

Had the same issue, Deans tried everything. I then switched to Greensmith for lawn care and Showtime for mowing. It has taken almost 14 months but both of them have brought the lawn back to about 90% of where it needs to be. Still have some bare spots but we agreed to fix that in Spring. Both those companies talk to each other and work with each other. I'm convinced that having the right folks work on the problem is important, finding who they are is difficult. Some of our neighbors also use Orkin and they are very happy with the results.

villagetinker 12-15-2019 12:33 PM

You might have mole crickets, I had these in my lawn, Deans treated, and still waiting for full recovery of the grass, but the lawn in general is much better.

chriskean82 12-16-2019 06:08 AM

Things to do

Hi, Chris from Kean Landscaping & Design. Without inspecting it, sounds like brown spot. Make sure your mowing at 2”-2.5” and catch the clippings. Zoysia doesn’t like to be cut high. It’s a little late but treat with a fungicide, either granular (water in) or liquid. You can’t cure brown spot but you can treat it. If you pull the deadish grass, it releases easily and is blackish at the base, its brown spot.
Any questions call or email,
Keanlandscaping@yahoo.com
727-593-0253

tjlee500 12-16-2019 07:05 AM

t is a common misconception that "acid" in a dog’s urine is what causes the brown spots left behind on our lawns. However, the culprit causing lawn burn is actually the high nitrogen content of the dog's urine. Nitrogen is “the waste” in the urine and is the result of protein breakdown through normal body processes. Because a canine diet is very high in protein, there will be high levels of nitrogen, and you’ll be battling blemishes for as long as your pet uses the lawn for its place of business. Best treatment is to hose spot right after. Grass can eventually come back. I have 2 dogs and brown spots becausey they want to go as soon as they are out. I am away for the summer and upon return, no brown spots.

Rzepecki 12-16-2019 08:11 AM

Our dog doesn’t create brown spots. Maybe it’s their diet?

mrf6969 12-16-2019 05:52 PM

Put down Talstar that you can buy at ACE Hardware. I did and it always works. It will kill Mole Crickets and any lawn bug. Best Pesticide out there. These very expensive lawn companies are all the same, Terrible!!! I do my own and have the best lawn (Zoysia) in the area.

Doro22 12-16-2019 06:55 PM

Put in St. Augustine. Remove the Zosia. St. Augustine is glossy and has wide blades & beautiful. We did it. A little expensive and lots of work, but we couldn’t deal with that scrawny thin bladed Zoysia any more. The Villages is now putting in St. Augustine in all new areas.

kcrazorbackfan 12-16-2019 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chatbrat (Post 1701812)

Could be a fungus.