Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Landscape Talk (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/landscape-talk-129/)
-   -   Bad Landscape Repair (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/landscape-talk-129/bad-landscape-repair-300933/)

SilverRose 12-17-2019 08:25 PM

Bad Landscape Repair

I hired a landscaper who did a poor job. After $4000, I have dead plants (they finished last Friday) and it just doesn’t look good overall. They offered to replace the plants if I paid for new ones, which I will not do. I already paid them too much for what they did. Any suggestions on who to call to fix it?

John_W 12-17-2019 10:02 PM

Terrascape | Nursery and Landscaping for The Villages, Florida

Terrascape on the west side of US 301 just south of Rainey Trail, north of Wildwood. They have their own 10 acre nursery. In 2011 when my CYV was new I had them remove the pine straw, put down weed block, move the holly tree to the back and replace with a palm tree and add 10 tons of copper rock, cost $2500. In 2013 I tried another company who build a retaining wall and added two large palms and several new shrubs and redid the irrigation.

It looked good for about five years but in the past year or so the retaining wall started falling apart, some of the plants were dying and the sylvester palm wasn't looking good. I called the company that did that landscaping about the Sylvester Palm and they didn't want to hear about it. I went back to Terrascape and they came and repaired the retaining palm, trimmed about 10' down on the palm, added about 20 new shrubs and removed the dead, redid the irrigation, and replaced all the rocks. They sent 4 guys who worked all day and it came to $1900.

http://terrascape.biz/wp-content/upl...ped800-web.jpg

Here's how it looked two months ago when Terrascape was finished

https://scontent-mia3-1.xx.fbcdn.net...a7&oe=5E81EFBD

SilverRose 12-18-2019 06:27 AM

Thank you. I will call Terrascape.

Bogie Shooter 12-18-2019 07:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SilverRose (Post 1702678)
I hired a landscaper who did a poor job. After $4000, I have dead plants (they finished last Friday) and it just doesn’t look good overall. They offered to replace the plants if I paid for new ones, which I will not do. I already paid them too much for what they did. Any suggestions on who to call to fix it?

Who?

SilverRose 12-18-2019 02:06 PM

Florida Premier Landscape Design Inc. did the landscape I was unhappy with.
After paying them $4000, i naively expected the yard to look nice and have healthy plants.

Rsenholzi 12-19-2019 06:45 AM

Plants are usually warantied for a year . I would check where they bought them although you may have to pay to have them replanted

tsmall22204 12-19-2019 07:06 AM

$4,000 is cheap for landscaping. You get what you pay for. Would you trust your heart transplant to low bid?

Blessed2BNTV 12-19-2019 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tsmall22204 (Post 1702995)
$4,000 is cheap for landscaping. You get what you pay for. Would you trust your heart transplant to low bid?

We don’t exactly know what the OP had done for $4000. May not be a cheap price.

We had Luke’s Landscaping replace plants in front and paid $3200. They also removed and replaced some of the rock and removed a palm tree.

Wasn’t a complete redo, just a refresh. We were pleased.

lappy50 12-19-2019 01:05 PM

First thing I would do is let everyone in The Villages who this Landscape Company is so they don't call them and to let them know that their NAME is being drug through the Village "SWAMP!"

DAVES 12-22-2019 10:52 AM

Not enough information

Quote:

Originally Posted by SilverRose (Post 1702678)

You say they just finished Friday and you have dead plants.
Has to be more time involved. Think about a xmas tree. It is cut off from it's roots yet it lasts several weeks.

As to plants. Realize what you buy is grown under ideal conditions, often in a green house. When, you plant it, your environment is not nearly the same as ideal and you cannot help but damage the roots and often the plant itself when it is put in. On top of that, we had a couple of cold days.

You do not say who did the work. I don't blame you for not wanting to pay for the cost of the plants. They did agree to redo the labor. If, you decide to give up and hire someone else, they may or may not be better and they will charge you for both the plants and the labor.

We all, including me, put in plants that are not really suitable for our growing environment. Do you have plant that you need to cover? Are they worth it? Miss one year and you may be digging it out-yet again. Plants that do well on one side of your home will surely die on another side due to sun, water, wind etc. The old rule still applies, the right plant in the right place.

SilverRose 01-02-2020 10:58 AM

The plants were probably planted a few weeks before the landscaping was finished because the rocks were not immediately available. The Friday before the landscapers finished, they put down the rock and planted some plants. Our expectations were that the yard would be in a finished condition when the landscapers finished the work. It was not.
There were two problems. One of their employees stepped on or fell on some of the plants. They told me that they had other issues with this employee and he is no longer with them.
The second problem was that our irrigation system no longer covered all plants. Our contract with the landscapers included any necessary modifications to the irrigation system. I have many utility boxes in our yard that I wanted to camouflage, so my plantings were denser than most people’s.
The landscapers said they would only replace the dead plants if I paid for the replacements. They have not responded to my complaint about the irrigation system.
The landscaper was Florida Premier Landscape Design Inc.
The landscapers did a good job with the walls and rocks.
We paid a second contractor to repair the irrigation system. My husband replaced the dead plants. I am very happy with my yard now.

Aw Man 01-02-2020 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SilverRose (Post 1706590)
The plants were probably planted a few weeks before the landscaping was finished because the rocks were not immediately available. The Friday before the landscapers finished, they put down the rock and planted some plants. Our expectations were that the yard would be in a finished condition when the landscapers finished the work. It was not.
There were two problems. One of their employees stepped on or fell on some of the plants. They told me that they had other issues with this employee and he is no longer with them.
The second problem was that our irrigation system no longer covered all plants. Our contract with the landscapers included any necessary modifications to the irrigation system. I have many utility boxes in our yard that I wanted to camouflage, so my plantings were denser than most people’s.
The landscapers said they would only replace the dead plants if I paid for the replacements. They have not responded to my complaint about the irrigation system.
The landscaper was Florida Premier Landscape Design Inc.
The landscapers did a good job with the walls and rocks.
We paid a second contractor to repair the irrigation system. My husband replaced the dead plants. I am very happy with my yard now.

Did you submit for and obtain approval of the Architectural Review Committee for this work?

TonysMom 04-10-2020 08:06 PM

I am just curious why you didn't use Terrascape and tried someone new?

wisbad1 04-14-2020 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John_W (Post 1702695)
Terrascape | Nursery and Landscaping for The Villages, Florida

Terrascape on the west side of US 301 just south of Rainey Trail, north of Wildwood. They have their own 10 acre nursery. In 2011 when my CYV was new I had them remove the pine straw, put down weed block, move the holly tree to the back and replace with a palm tree and add 10 tons of copper rock, cost $2500. In 2013 I tried another company who build a retaining wall and added two large palms and several new shrubs and redid the irrigation.

It looked good for about five years but in the past year or so the retaining wall started falling apart, some of the plants were dying and the sylvester palm wasn't looking good. I called the company that did that landscaping about the Sylvester Palm and they didn't want to hear about it. I went back to Terrascape and they came and repaired the retaining palm, trimmed about 10' down on the palm, added about 20 new shrubs and removed the dead, redid the irrigation, and replaced all the rocks. They sent 4 guys who worked all day and it came to $1900.

http://terrascape.biz/wp-content/upl...ped800-web.jpg

Here's how it looked two months ago when Terrascape was finished

https://scontent-mia3-1.xx.fbcdn.net...a7&oe=5E81EFBD

That’s the front of their store, you live there?

DianeM 04-14-2020 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aw Man (Post 1706606)
Did you submit for and obtain approval of the Architectural Review Committee for this work?

And that’s relevant to their post because ?