Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Medical and Health Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/medical-health-discussion-94/)
-   -   Hip replacement advice (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/medical-health-discussion-94/hip-replacement-advice-300949/)

Bay Kid 12-18-2019 12:11 PM

Hip replacement advice

My hip is hurting when I sleep and can't walk many miles without some pain. Now I wonder if it is time to have the hip replaced? I heard there are new ways that would be easy, quick recovery and not much pain. Is this wishful thinking?

jebartle 12-18-2019 01:46 PM

Dr. Messieh 352-243-6899 fixed my hip and I recovered after 2 weeks and ready to play golf but dr. Wanted me to wait 6 weeks....He is in his office on Wednesdays only. Highly highly recommend.

villagetinker 12-18-2019 03:28 PM

I would definitely see a doctor first to see if there are other options. I have had 2 friends go through this, both were out of commission for about 6 weeks, but if I recall correctly, one was able to delay the operation for 1 or 2 years with other treatments.

Mudder 12-18-2019 03:28 PM

It could be a bursa if it's the outside of your hip that hurts. I would go to pain management doc for evaluation. Injections may be all you need. I could not walk from one end of Publix to the other the pain was so bad. Bursa was cause, injections solved the problem.

JGVillages 12-18-2019 06:01 PM

Dr Joseph Locker / Ocala.

Aces4 12-18-2019 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bay Kid (Post 1702844)
My hip is hurting when I sleep and can't walk many miles without some pain. Now I wonder if it is time to have the hip replaced? I heard there are new ways that would be easy, quick recovery and not much pain. Is this wishful thinking?

Kid, do you already have the diagnostics and tests determining hip replacement is necessary? I had the same symptoms and could barely walk when I visited my Dr. He advised me he believed it was a pain he saw in many elderly patients that had lost flexibility. He gave me a series of stretching exercises and in three weeks I saw vast improvement and I now do them daily. No pain, no surgery. Obviously, this won’t help where the DX is replacement. Btw, my fairly young Dr. has had the same symptoms until utilizing the exercises.

JoMar 12-18-2019 10:55 PM

I had two knees and a hip replaced, the hip was the easiest. The previous method was to enter from the rear, the current method is to enter from the front. Less invasive and faster recovery time. I used Dr. Ethier and more than satisfied.

bmit16 12-19-2019 05:20 AM

I would go to a highly recommended orthopedic hip doctor. I had my knee replaced and I knew when I needed to go. Asking people on this op about your hip is irrelevant. Ask a qualified doctor.

MarkGoldberg 12-19-2019 05:43 AM

Quote:

Absolutely. There are 2 basic ways hip replacement is done. Anterior and Posterior. Anterior is a very simple recovery with almost NO pain at ALL! Posterior cuts more muscle and it is the muscle recovery that takes longer, has more limitations and pain. Please have this taken care of as it is truly very easy and you will immediately feel better. There are many surgeons doing this surgery. I used Dr Locker, in Ocala, and would recommend him without hesitation. If you have ANY questions please feel free to ask.

bd20166 12-19-2019 06:20 AM

Try Stretch Zone before you submit to surgery.

tsmall22204 12-19-2019 07:00 AM

Hip replacement is not like an oil change, go to your doctor. Self diagnosis is for fools.

Miss.BettyBoop 12-19-2019 07:53 AM

Go to a podiatrist! I could barely walk due to hip pain. Went to a foot doctor, got the right shoe inserts, walked out of the office pain free and have been for over a year. Conservative is the best first option!

Bay Kid 12-19-2019 07:57 AM

Thank you all. Heading to the doctor.

Chloe Girl 12-19-2019 08:06 AM

Hip Replacement

I had my hip replaced by Dr Messieh and can truly say that I never experienced a bit of pain after the surgery. But all avenues should be explored before having any body part replaced!

DONKEY10 12-19-2019 08:19 AM

Quote:

If it's bone on bone replace it. My wife had both hips replaced and is in the gym squatting 315 and leg pressing 600LBs. The important thing is to find the right surgeon and to do the rehab. After about 2 months everything will come together and you won't regret it.