Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Golf in The Villages (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/golf-villages-216/)
-   -   How Did You Join Your Champ Golf Group? (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/golf-villages-216/how-did-you-join-your-champ-golf-group-300967/)

Davonu 12-19-2019 09:59 AM

How Did You Join Your Champ Golf Group?

I'm just now trying to step up my amount of play and I'm exploring ways to make that happen. I'm considering Men's Day, although I really don't need a Priority Membership. And I really like playing 9 holes, although I will certainly play 18 also. Anyway, I'm still pretty new to this, so please forgive me sounding very inexperienced...

What is a good way to find a regular group to play with? I know one way is to simply sign up for tee times and see what happens over time. And I will be doing that. But I was wondering if there are other ways to approach the matter a bit more 'directly', for lack of a better word. Are there websites? Do the pro shops have any way of helping? Anything at all. I'm open to all suggestions and would love to hear your experiences in getting started.

Thanks.

dewilson58 12-19-2019 10:10 AM

Met by chance.

Thru the neighborhood.

John_W 12-19-2019 10:23 AM

We have a community person who emails updates out about news in our Village. A neighbor sent an email using one of her emails that he was looking for people to play championship golf. I realized he was 3 doors away and responded, that was in April 2012. In 2015 we added a third person, a retired Army E-9 and he only plays nine holes. So in the summer we have to have teetimes at 1pm or later because during that time they require you to play 18 before 1pm. In 2017 a fellow who played with us had just moved here and was a retired Navy pilot and took fight training at Pensacola. I'm a former Air Traffic Controller from Pensacola Approach, so we have a lot in common. He is also Hawaiian and my neighbor lived in Hawaii for five years and is married to a Hawaiian, so we asked him two join two years ago. These things just evolve.

Bogie Shooter 12-19-2019 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John_W (Post 1703073)
We have a community person who emails updates out about news in our Village. A neighbor sent an email using one of her emails that he was looking for people to play championship golf. I realized he was 3 doors away and responded, that was in April 2012. In 2015 we added a third person, a retired Army E-9 and he only plays nine holes. So in the summer we have to have teetimes at 1pm or later because during that time they require you to play 18 before 1pm. In 2017 a fellow who played with us had just moved here and was a retired Navy pilot and took fight training at Pensacola. I'm a former Air Traffic Controller from Pensacola Approach, so we have a lot in common. He is also Hawaiian and my neighbor lived in Hawaii for five years and is married to a Hawaiian, so we asked him two join two years ago. These things just evolve.

Played all summer, 9 holes in the morning.

John_W 12-19-2019 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter (Post 1703089)
Played all summer, 9 holes in the morning.

Executive or championship course? My group is afternoon championship golfers and three of us play 18 and one fellow plays only 9. We've been told by every proshop that you cannot pay for nine holes before 1:00. I've even had a cashier ask a couple of times, 9 or 18 and have seen the other clerk correct them and say, it's not 1:00 yet. When daylight savings time went away, I complained and they said the 1:00 rule was no longer in effect when the rates changed Oct 1st. Morning wave, I haven't a clue, never played before 11:56 in TV in 9 years.

Polar Bear 12-19-2019 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John_W (Post 1703153)
...Morning wave, I haven't a clue, never played before 11:56 in TV in 9 years.

Now that’s the way to play golf!!

kcrazorbackfan 12-19-2019 08:28 PM

The championship groups that I belong to, and have belonged to, pretty much was found by word of mouth. Nearly all groups require someone with a priority membership to get preferred tee times.

I've pretty much quit Men's Day because of the rounds continually running close to 5 hours.

Davonu 03-09-2020 06:37 PM

Back to looking for a semi-regular group again. Just bumping the thread.

Prefer 9 holes, but will definitely play 18. And I'm not a super-early tee-time guy. Heheh. :)