Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Sumter County Taxes (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/sumter-county-taxes-300988/)

tjlee500 12-19-2019 06:58 PM

Sumter County Taxes

I want to pay my taxes even if they have gone up 30% or so. I got my tax bill for Nov. and realised I could not afford a lump sum payment. I am a senion on a fixed income. I called Randy Mask line and was told I should have filled out a payment form which I did not know about. I have since filled it out for 2020. I was also told I could submit a form to pay current taxes over 5 months - Nov. to March and did that. I sent in a check for as much as I could afford. I went online this week to make a payment and there was NO option to put in an amount, just full payment.

I called and explained my issue, was put on hold for a while and was told, yes, I would be charged FULL amount online.

Why are seniors like you and me being treated this way? Why can't we make partial payments online if we have an agreement? This is so wrong and Randy needs to fix this if he wants to keep his job. Giving the option to make an agreed upon partial payment hurts nobody but makes it easier for seniors to pay their taxes.

retiredguy123 12-19-2019 07:17 PM

I think you can use a credit card, but they charge a convenience fee. But, then you can pay off the credit card monthly.

dewilson58 12-19-2019 07:54 PM

How much was your total tax bill last year and what is your total tax for this year??

vintageogauge 12-19-2019 08:58 PM

I'm not 100% sure but I think you can go to the county building or the tax collectors office over there and pay in person, that way you would be getting personal attention and should be able to get the help you need.

Toymeister 12-20-2019 01:56 AM

To directly answer your question which is effectively "how come installment payment options are not available online":

Cost.

No doubt Sumter county paid an outside firm to develop their website. It was completed and paid for.

If they were to change the website for you and others in the same predicament incurring the cost to change it then imagine the uproar here. Headlines in the forum like:. "Why is the county paying extra to serve a few?"

It is not difficult to call and sign up for installment payments or unenroll from them either.

I am sorry that the tax hike is placing you in a bind.

golfing eagles 12-20-2019 06:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tjlee500 (Post 1703219)
I want to pay my taxes even if they have gone up 30% or so. I got my tax bill for Nov. and realised I could not afford a lump sum payment. I am a senion on a fixed income. I called Randy Mask line and was told I should have filled out a payment form which I did not know about. I have since filled it out for 2020. I was also told I could submit a form to pay current taxes over 5 months - Nov. to March and did that. I sent in a check for as much as I could afford. I went online this week to make a payment and there was NO option to put in an amount, just full payment.

I called and explained my issue, was put on hold for a while and was told, yes, I would be charged FULL amount online.

Why are seniors like you and me being treated this way? Why can't we make partial payments online if we have an agreement? This is so wrong and Randy needs to fix this if he wants to keep his job. Giving the option to make an agreed upon partial payment hurts nobody but makes it easier for seniors to pay their taxes.

I certainly don't want to sound cruel or insensitive, but I am a realist. Like you, I am retired, and actually on less than a fixed income since I have no pension and no social security. However:

1) "I want to pay my taxes even if they have gone up 30% or so."

You don't really get the choice of whether or not you WANT to pay your taxes, otherwise no one would.

2) "Why are seniors like you and me being treated this way?"

We are not being treated any different than any other taxpayer

3) We both knew what our taxes were when we purchased our homes, I didn't for a moment think that they would do anything other than go up

4) We both knew that the tax bill, along with any bond, was an annual lump sum payment

5) "Why can't we make partial payments online"

Because Sumter County is a government taxing authority, NOT a finance company

6) Try this argument with the IRS and see how far you get

7) "This is so wrong and Randy needs to fix this if he wants to keep his job."

I don't view it as right or wrong, it's simply the way it is, like most places in the country. And I doubt Randy Mask's job is dependent on your personal satisfaction with county tax regulations.

That being said, I do hope you find a way to resolve your issue

dewilson58 12-20-2019 07:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by golfing eagles (Post 1703295)
I certainly don't want to sound cruel or insensitive, but I am a realist. Like you, I am retired, and actually on less than a fixed income since I have no pension and no social security. However:

You don't really get the choice of whether or not you WANT to pay your taxes, otherwise no one would.

3) We both knew what our taxes were when we purchased our homes, I didn't for a moment think that they would do anything other than go up

4) We both knew that the tax bill, along with any bond, was an annual lump sum payment

I don't view it as right or wrong, it's simply the way it is, like most places in the country. And I doubt Randy Mask's job is dependent on your personal satisfaction with county tax regulations.

Exactly.

I think the original post was just a hit and run.......complain, not looking for a solution.

Considering the RE Taxes are probably ~2% of the home's value, a 1% of the home value should not be the death of anyone.

Most tax bills increased less than 15%, so if the OP's increases 30% it's because of the value of their investment in their home.

I doubt we will hear from the OP.

:ohdear:

duffersue 12-20-2019 08:16 AM

My Discount on Taxes.

Good morning. Last year when I had my taxes done free at Colony I was told I could get an exemption for low income. I took the required papers to the tax office inside the building where the library is and low and behold I received the discount this time. On my tax bill I now have 3 exemptions. Hope this helps you.

rjm1cc 12-20-2019 09:46 AM

It is probably a matter of knowing about the problem then the cost of redoing the programs to allow for part payments. I would have though any dollar amount could be paid and it would be applied to your account.
But another alternative is to put about 1/12 of the tax money into a saving account when your SS check comes in and then pay you bill in Nov. I assume you do not have an emergency fund so I would start putting a little money in a saving account now for emergencies and then pay your taxes out of the fund in Nov. Mixing the emergency fund and tax fund is not best but a way to get started.

retiredguy123 12-20-2019 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duffersue (Post 1703317)
Good morning. Last year when I had my taxes done free at Colony I was told I could get an exemption for low income. I took the required papers to the tax office inside the building where the library is and low and behold I received the discount this time. On my tax bill I now have 3 exemptions. Hope this helps you.

There is a low income exemption, but you need to reapply for it every year to prove that you still qualify.

EdFNJ 12-20-2019 12:03 PM

Unfortunately just because we are "seniors" no one owes us anything. Never could figure out the entitlement for discounts or special treatment just because we are getting old. When I hit 70 no one thanked me for being 70. :D :D

My brother-in-law is a disabled veteran. He pays NO RE TAXES here. HE DESERVES THAT even though he could well afford it because he IS owed something from the country/county or whatever but just because we got old no one owes us anything, that includes a free coffee at Wendy's. :) Personally, I never ASK for a "senior discount." Makes me feel even older and it also bugs me when someone offers me their seat! :D

tjlee500 12-21-2019 05:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by golfing eagles (Post 1703295)

I have tried this with IRS. I am on an installment plan with them and make partial payments online.

Hplaw 12-21-2019 06:10 AM

:coolsmiley:
Quote:

Originally Posted by EdFNJ (Post 1703413)
Unfortunately just because we are "seniors" no one owes us anything. Never could figure out the entitlement for discounts or special treatment just because we are getting old. When I hit 70 no one thanked me for being 70. :D :D

My brother-in-law is a disabled veteran. He pays NO RE TAXES here. HE DESERVES THAT even though he could well afford it because he IS owed something from the country/county or whatever but just because we got old no one owes us anything, that includes a free coffee at Wendy's. :) Personally, I never ASK for a "senior discount." Makes me feel even older and it also bugs me when someone offers me their seat! :D

Fastskiguy 12-21-2019 07:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by retiredguy123 (Post 1703398)
There is a low income exemption, but you need to reapply for it every year to prove that you still qualify.

What does it take to get this? How low does your income need to be?

golfing eagles 12-21-2019 07:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tjlee500 (Post 1703545)
I have tried this with IRS. I am on an installment plan with them and make partial payments online.

Darn, now I really feel like a fool. Paying quarterly estimated tax and final tax bill on time and in full, paying property taxes in full when due. I could have been on the pay as you go plan too.

Actually, I think the bigger question is WHY Sumter County tax is going up---the tax base must be increasing with the expansion of the villages south of 44, I don't know of any massive projects the county is planning. I hope they aren't funding some social programs at the expense of Villagers, does anyone know?