Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, Non Villages Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-non-villages-discussion-93/)
-   -   Celebration, Fl - Behind the Curtain (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-non-villages-discussion-93/celebration-fl-behind-curtain-300992/)

thomp679 12-19-2019 11:28 PM

Celebration, Fl - Behind the Curtain

Celebration, Florida: How Disney's community of tomorrow became a total nightmare

Makes one think that there is something to learn from this situation. People get concerned about the Developer trying to sell decaying country club buildings and aging water utilities. They support property tax hikes for infrastructure repair. There is the POA vs HOA as well as the many VCDDs that they have their thumbs in. Now the sale of the hospital.

What about the town centers and other commercial real estate being sold over time starting with the oldest areas and moving south over the next decade? Every major highway makes a natural demarcation line for a slow, but steady sell off as the bonds finish their payoffs.

After all, this is corporate America at its finest and the Developer's main business is real estate development and the commercial property is just an asset. The new money is down south and their new main clientele is the younger generations just discovering utopia.

billethkid 12-20-2019 08:32 AM

Rather than have some of us guess, what is the point or conclusion being made?

Marathon Man 12-20-2019 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by billethkid (Post 1703323)
Rather than have some of us guess, what is the point or conclusion being made?

Yea. I don't get it either. A tragic tale in one location does not automatically become a predition of things to come anywhere else.

starflyte1 12-20-2019 10:41 AM

Thank you for posting, thomp679. I found it a very interesting article. Corporate raiders happen in business. Carl Ican did the same to TWA. I realize business is business, but I would hope they have trouble sleeping at night.

Chi-Town 12-20-2019 10:52 AM

Was just in Celebration. The article is very slanted. We've seen the same bias about The Villages.

JP 12-20-2019 11:02 AM

If you are so concerned, you should sell and move to a "better" development if you can find one.

thomp679 12-20-2019 03:14 PM

The cautionary tale is the Developer can sell off commercial and community aspects of The Villages to another corporation. This is a corporate town whether you understand it or not. A new corporation can raid their own investments and then turn it back onto the owners of the homes in the form of higher taxes and special assessments.

The Developer can continue with The Villages to the south.

Don't think it can't happen as it already has started. I can't make you understand, but it is up to the owners to ensure that they maintain control and not worship the Developers.

Bogie Shooter 12-20-2019 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thomp679 (Post 1703443)
The cautionary tale is the Developer can sell off commercial and community aspects of The Villages to another corporation. This is a corporate town whether you understand it or not. A new corporation can raid their own investments and then turn it back onto the owners of the homes in the form of higher taxes and special assessments.

The Developer can continue with The Villages to the south.

Don't think it can't happen as it already has started. I can't make you understand, but it is up to the owners to ensure that they maintain control and not worship the Developers.

How do we maintain the control? You seem to formed some strong opinions in two years.
Btw the sky is not falling.....

dewilson58 12-20-2019 04:13 PM

incoherent rambling

Bill32 12-20-2019 08:02 PM

Interesting article, I get it, thanks for posting....

Velvet 12-20-2019 08:43 PM

That is a very interesting article. I don’t think it applies to The Villages at this time though. Do you?

bilcon 12-21-2019 07:55 AM

Nothing wrong with UF Health taking over the Villages Regional Hospital. It will now be as good as Shands in Gainesville. We need it here.

Rzepecki 12-21-2019 08:07 AM

Concurrent with the development south of 44, the developer is also purchasing mobile homes in the historic part of TV as they become available and replacing them with beautiful new homes.

Nannan 12-21-2019 09:03 AM

I wouldn’t trust anything published by The Daily Beast.

Kilmacowen 12-21-2019 09:13 AM

We don't pay HOA fees and we maintain our own property.