Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Medical and Health Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/medical-health-discussion-94/)
-   -   Life alert type device?? (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/medical-health-discussion-94/life-alert-type-device-301016/)

ejp52 12-20-2019 06:57 PM

Life alert type device??

Looking for recommendations or guidance for a Life Alert type device for my 89 yr old MIL, she is active but lives alone, and about 65 miles from us. Thanks .

simpkinp 12-20-2019 07:01 PM

I use an Apple Watch that pairs with my iPhone. If she has an iPhone, this is a good choice, lots of heath features and only $10 more a month to add a device to your wireless phone account. Has fall detection, heart monitoring, etc.

Velvet 12-20-2019 08:47 PM

I was going to suggest the Apple Watch too, you need the cellular one. You can wear it to swim or bathe or sleep. It is with you all the time except when you charge it. A nice sports band with holes would let her skin breathe and not too tight around the wrist (from experience over the years.)

Koapaka 12-20-2019 11:59 PM

Does she have a cell phone and know how to use it? If so, buy a necklace type hanger for it ($10 on Amazon) and let her wear around her neck. I just spent a year in a wheelchair after an accident, and this was my emergency alert/can summon help at a moments notice lifesaver. IF she does not have or know how to use a cell phone, life alert is excellent and what we used for my momma (who did not know or want to learn cell phones).

kathyspear 12-21-2019 12:14 PM

Hubby and I just got Apple Watches. I had no interest in one until they added the "fall detection" and "afib detection" features. That sold me. That said, we want something for my MIL, too, but after playing around with our new watches we realized that this is not it. She is a complete technophobe -- still uses a flip phone and refuses to consider switching to anything smarter! She could (would?) never learn how to use the Apple Watch. We may go with the necklace-type thing. Just our experience.

kathy

Velvet 12-21-2019 12:44 PM

She just has to touch the Apple Watch and say, “Hey Siri” to tell the watch what to do, easier than calling a grandkid and more obedient....

retiredguy123 12-21-2019 01:23 PM

If I were 89 years old, I wouldn't be living by myself. But, if I had to, I would want a cell phone where I could call 911.

asianthree 12-21-2019 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by retiredguy123 (Post 1703709)
If I were 89 years old, I wouldn't be living by myself. But, if I had to, I would want a cell phone where I could call 911.

My 90yo mom who lives alone has zero issues, and does not want help. But she is very independent and strong willed. We have Alexa in all rooms, that can call anyone. We also have cameras that have motion sensors.

Schaumburger 12-21-2019 05:07 PM

I wish I could convince my 89 year old father to get a device like this. He has a cell phone, but I would feel more comfortable if he had a device he could wear, like a pendant or a watch. He would never get an Apple watch (in fact he cancelled the internet service at his house a couple of months ago). When I have brought up the Life Alert device a few times he will say "What do you think I am an old man?" :(

kathyspear 12-21-2019 11:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by retiredguy123 (Post 1703709)

My MIL will be 89 in March. A few weeks ago she was found semi-conscious on her bedroom floor, had probably been lying there for 24 hours. We want her in assisted living but that is going to be quite a battle. She still drives after having two serious driving "incidents" and I have seriously considered ratting her out to the DMV.

Ain't life grand.

k.

Toymeister 12-21-2019 11:41 PM

https://www.amazon.com/Freedom-2-Way...fe+aler&sr=8-7.

600 foot radius, one button operation. No fees. Ties into phone line. Not high tech, does not require any Apple devices, Uber simple.

NY2TV 12-22-2019 08:56 AM

Around neck better than wrist

I was advised that it is better to get one to wear around the neck because if you fall and hurt the other arm (or the wrist it is on is under you and you can't move) you may not be able to reach the wrist. When it is around your neck you can use either arm to activate it.

tasny 12-22-2019 10:02 AM

We found one for under $70.00 on HSN. It is all that my Mom needs to protect her wherever she is. No monthly fees, just the one time purchase...can't beat it!

THUNDERCHIEF 12-22-2019 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ejp52 (Post 1703490)
looking for recommendations or guidance for a life alert type device for my 89 yr old mil, she is active but lives alone, and about 65 miles from us. Thanks .

have her move in with you, also no one should be driving after 2 accidents, and 90 years old

xlhig 12-22-2019 11:31 AM

Life Alert Alternative

Quote:

Originally Posted by ejp52 (Post 1703490)
Looking for recommendations or guidance for a Life Alert type device for my 89 yr old MIL, she is active but lives alone, and about 65 miles from us. Thanks .

If your MIL has wifi, buy her an Alexa and add the "Ask My Buddy" skill. Then you can add emergency contact numbers. So if you are "Joe" and adds you as a contact, and adds another emergency contact as "Mary" and adds another emergency contact "Fred," and she needs help, she can say, Alexa, call my buddy,"" and a text will be sent to everyone on her list indicating that she needs help. Or she can say, "Alexa, call my buddy Bob," and a text will be sent to Bob only. So if you have wifi and an Alexa, it is a free set-up. It works!! Or buy a few Echo dots at a lower cost and put them in a few different rooms of her house.