Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   All About Golf Carts and Things (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/all-about-golf-carts-things-156/)
-   -   Glueing back window ventilation track (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/all-about-golf-carts-things-156/glueing-back-window-ventilation-track-301054/)

BRN_RI_FL 12-22-2019 09:07 AM

Glueing back window ventilation track

1 Attachment(s)
Per the attached picture both the upper and lower tracks for the sliding ventilation window have come unglued. It’s past the warranty period so I will need to fix. Has this happened to anyone else and what did you use to fix it?

villagetinker 12-22-2019 10:13 AM

These windshields are typically a plexiglas type material which can be glued using acetone or a glue specific for plexiglas. i have also had very good luck with GOOP. The advantage of GOOP is it remains flexible, it is a clear contact cement. NOTE: be very careful that you do not get excess glue on the tracks of your slider. I could give you a hand if you are not comfortable doing this yourself. Send a PM if you would like help. I typically have both acetone and GOOP on hand.

BRN_RI_FL 12-22-2019 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by villagetinker (Post 1703921)
These windshields are typically a plexiglas type material which can be glued using acetone or a glue specific for plexiglas. i have also had very good luck with GOOP. The advantage of GOOP is it remains flexible, it is a clear contact cement. NOTE: be very careful that you do not get excess glue on the tracks of your slider. I could give you a hand if you are not comfortable doing this yourself. Send a PM if you would like help. I typically have both acetone and GOOP on hand.

Thanks for your usual helpful post. I should be back in The Villages after Christmas. I’ll let you know if I need help.

NoMoSno 12-22-2019 07:29 PM

I suspect they use a 2 sided tape.
I'd ask your dealer what is used.

BRN_RI_FL 12-23-2019 05:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NoMoSno (Post 1704050)
I suspect they use a 2 sided tape.
I'd ask your dealer what is used.

Thanks. The dealer says they use loctite, 5 minute epoxy. They charge a $35 service call and 1/2 hour of labor. I am looking to save a few bucks by doing it myself. I originally thought those ventilation slots were a good idea. At this point I wish I didn’t have them.

Rickg 12-23-2019 12:56 PM

1 Attachment(s)
2 sided 3 m molding tape used for auto trim. Available on Amazon

villagetinker 12-23-2019 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rickg (Post 1704189)
2 sided 3 m molding tape used for auto trim. Available on Amazon

I have this product also, but it will add about 1/16 inch. and the sliders will probably rattle, with the glue, the space between the windshield and the pieces holding the sliders will be much less and the sliders will tend to not rattle, JMHO.

Rickg 12-23-2019 05:07 PM

Tape

Quote:

Originally Posted by villagetinker (Post 1704235)
I have this product also, but it will add about 1/16 inch. and the sliders will probably rattle, with the glue, the space between the windshield and the pieces holding the sliders will be much less and the sliders will tend to not rattle, JMHO.

I used the tape and it worked great. No rattle

villagetinker 12-23-2019 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rickg (Post 1704262)
I used the tape and it worked great. No rattle

Thank you for the info.

BRN_RI_FL 12-25-2019 04:47 AM

Thanks for all the info and Merry Christmas!