Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, Non Villages Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-non-villages-discussion-93/)
-   -   coffe grinder (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-non-villages-discussion-93/coffe-grinder-301130/)

GwenR 12-25-2019 03:52 AM

coffe grinder

Hi,
I've my old coffee grinder broken 2 days ago. I was using it only for 4 months, so I'm boiling over. It was bought abroad, so there is no opportunity to return it back and of course, there was no warranty at all. Do you know any good options?

asianthree 12-25-2019 04:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GwenR (Post 1704655)
Hi,
I've my old coffee grinder broken 2 days ago. I was using it only for 4 months, so I'm boiling over. It was bought abroad, so there is no opportunity to return it back and of course, there was no warranty at all. Do you know any good options?

Do you have a blender will work just as well, but don’t grind too fine

CWGUY 12-25-2019 07:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GwenR (Post 1704655)
Hi,

:shrug: Ask Santa for a new one? :icon_wink:

pacjag 12-25-2019 09:08 AM

Amazon is your friend.

ckcapaul 12-25-2019 09:23 AM

we go to Canada fishing every year, long trip in not near stores. The person buying coffee bought whole bean by mistake. Ended up putting it in a rubber glove and smashing it (cracked finger coffee) was born. Did not work too bad.:1rotfl:

dewilson58 12-25-2019 09:48 AM

Use a hammer. Both on the grinder and on your coffee.

GwenR 12-25-2019 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dewilson58 (Post 1704725)
Use a hammer. Both on the grinder and on your coffee.

Already done :1rotfl: Anyway, I'm looking for a new one. Now I'm choosing out of these options. I don't want to buy an expensive grinder, so the cheaper the better or there are some ropes?

Quote:

Originally Posted by CWGUY (Post 1704678)
:shrug: Ask Santa for a new one? :icon_wink:

Well, I'll make a try. Thank you for the hint :icon_wink:

Northerner52 12-26-2019 05:05 AM

Can you contact the manufacturer?

Heyitsrick 12-26-2019 07:19 AM

I'd go with the Krups. Just note that if you need to grind for 12 cups of coffee, you may need to do two batches in the grinder to meet the amount needed. I've had a Cuisinart grinder about the same size as the Krups you pictured for many years - still purring along.

I'm sure you noted that one of those grinders on the ratings page you linked to is a "burr" grinder, where you hand-crank to grind the beans. Burr grinding gets much higher reviews than electric grinding, (creates a much more uniform size grind than electric) but you're doing the work to grind. Much quieter than electric grinding, though.

Lindsyburnsy 12-26-2019 08:33 AM

Coffee Grinder

Go to any Walmart. Buy a Krups Coffee Grinder for about $20. They last for years. You can also get one at Amazon and have it delivered to you.

CFrance 12-26-2019 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Heyitsrick (Post 1704891)
I'd go with the Krups. Just note that if you need to grind for 12 cups of coffee, you may need to do two batches in the grinder to meet the amount needed. I've had a Cuisinart grinder about the same size as the Krups you pictured for many years - still purring along.

I'm sure you noted that one of those grinders on the ratings page you linked to is a "burr" grinder, where you hand-crank to grind the beans. Burr grinding gets much higher reviews than electric grinding, (creates a much more uniform size grind than electric) but you're doing the work to grind. Much quieter than electric grinding, though.

Electric burr grinders are readily available, but I don't know how they compare to hand-crank burr grinders. But burr grinding supposedly produces superior results.

altekrusem1 12-26-2019 09:01 AM

Throw the damn thing away and buy an American made one

Win1894 12-26-2019 10:10 AM

If you are just making a single cup of coffee for yourself the manual burr grinders such as the Hario and Kyocera are perfect. They are almost identical and the I can't tell the actual ceramic burrs apart. They are interchangeable. I have three of them and use them mostly for travel. Hand grinders in addition to being the least expensive burr grinders are also the easiest to disassemble to clean. Very strongly suggest not buying any kind of blade grinder. As alluded to in your link they are all crap unless you have absolutely no regard for a good tasting cup of coffee. For that matter don't use a blender either, which is nothing but a large blade grinder. My electric grinder is a Breville but they are high end home burr grinders and usually go for about $200, but I understand that most will not want to make that investment. A number of posts have suggested Krups but Krups makes all kinds of grinders including the inferior blade type grinders.

zmarkp 12-26-2019 12:50 PM

with a burr grinder one can control the size of the grind from coarse to fine. how you brew your coffee will determine a particular grind -- coarse for french press, for instance, fine for espresso, and so forth.

I believe i saw an electric burr grinder at walmart for around sixty bucks.

I gave myself a green coffee bean roaster for xmas so i'm slowly learning about this stuff and still trying to brew the 'perfect' cup.

Grill Meister 12-26-2019 01:16 PM

I bought my second one from WalMart. It has multiple options for course to fine grind....couldn't do without it.