Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages Golf Course Conditions (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-golf-course-conditions-471/)
-   -   Marsh Bend Golf (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-golf-course-conditions-471/marsh-bend-golf-301133/)

Teachbeach 12-25-2019 08:26 AM

Marsh Bend Golf

Wondering which few clubs would be best for playing the new pitch 'n putt at Marsh View? We're not big golfers, haven't played in 8 years. Thought we might get back into playing a few times before taking on the executive courses. Putter, wedge? Any others? How about driving range practice? If bringing 1 wood, which would be the choice. Thanks!

Aw Man 12-25-2019 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Teachbeach (Post 1704692)
Wondering which few clubs would be best for playing the new pitch 'n putt at Marsh View? We're not big golfers, haven't played in 8 years. Thought we might get back into playing a few times before taking on the executive courses. Putter, wedge? Any others? How about driving range practice? If bringing 1 wood, which would be the choice. Thanks!

There are 18 holes on the pitch n putt course.
The 4 longest holes, from tee to green, vary between 87 to 103 yards.
Distances on the remaining 14 holes vary between 46 and 79 yards in length
Hope this helps you pick your clubs.

The closest “driving range” for practice is the Sarasota driving range on Morse Boulevard just south of 466A.

MSchad 12-25-2019 11:17 AM

Both my wife and I take the putter (naturally), sand wedge and pitching wedge. She also takes her 9 iron.

UpNorth 12-26-2019 08:19 PM

Fun place to play with just a few clubs. But the mats you have to hit off are terrible. Thin carpet over a concrete base. Almost like hitting off a cart path. You club will bounce off the surface and hit the ball thin more often then not. Forget about backspin - if you manage to land on the green it will not stop. Perhaps the little plastic "tripod" tees that were sold years ago would solve the problem here.

sdeikenberry 12-27-2019 05:20 AM

I don't mean to be rude or disrespectful, but I have no problem playing off the mats, which require a different ball approach than when hitting off grass/dirt. I can land the ball with little to no roll out off mats. For me, the trick is to pick the ball clean off the mat, and use a high lofted club. Have you tried that approach? That said, I agree with you that if you try to take a conventional approach that would, in grass, leave a divot after the ball's lie, then you might have trouble with mats.

Miss B GA 12-27-2019 06:26 AM

I've played it several times. I bring my putter, pitching wedge, loft wedge, sand wedge and 9 iron.

Ginsanders 12-27-2019 07:10 AM

There is a driving range on Rolling Acres road, car and golf cart accessible. It is run by volunteers for the Lions Club. $5 for a bucket of balls, very nice driving range run for a good cause.

dennisgavin 12-27-2019 08:50 AM

Also do bring some extra balls as you can lose them on a few of the holes! They have pull carts and "Sunday Bags" for rent for $1.

UpNorth 12-27-2019 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sdeikenberry (Post 1705087)
I don't mean to be rude or disrespectful, but I have no problem playing off the mats, which require a different ball approach than when hitting off grass/dirt. I can land the ball with little to no roll out off mats. For me, the trick is to pick the ball clean off the mat, and use a high lofted club. Have you tried that approach? That said, I agree with you that if you try to take a conventional approach that would, in grass, leave a divot after the ball's lie, then you might have trouble with mats.

Picking it off the mat cleanly with a high lofted club like a sand wedge could be difficult, since most of these have a high bounce sole. The leading edge will have trouble getting under the ball unless you play it well back in your stance. I agree that if you want to play off the mats, you will need to make adjustments. Other than that, some sort of tee would solve the problem. These mats are much thinner than the mats you find on most driving ranges, and are placed on solid concrete.

CWGUY 12-27-2019 11:13 AM

:) Go to Amazon.com and search "rubber winter golf tees" :coolsmiley:

The 4 pcs. set that look like thimbles. I have used them in the past they work great off hard or frozen ground.

Nucky 12-27-2019 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ginsanders (Post 1705099)
There is a driving range on Rolling Acres road, car and golf cart accessible. It is run by volunteers for the Lions Club. $5 for a bucket of balls, very nice driving range run for a good cause.

Great info there new guy. We :1rotfl: have :1rotfl: tried :1rotfl: unsuccessfully :1rotfl: to find the path :1rotfl: to the range by :1rotfl: Golf Cart several times with no luck.

Hows about a helping hand for an oldtimer who does pretty good investigating the rest of The Villages but can't Christopher Columbus his way to this joint. Thanks for the help and the laugh! :mademyday:

Tom53 12-27-2019 03:36 PM

Found this on line, also google maps shows a path.

"Rio Grande Ave to Chula Vista Ave. Left @ Palermo Pl. Go about 18 houses & @ the curve there's a narrow cart path that takes one to the driving range."

Nucky 12-27-2019 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom53 (Post 1705226)
Found this on line, also google maps shows a path.

"Rio Grande Ave to Chula Vista Ave. Left @ Palermo Pl. Go about 18 houses & @ the curve there's a narrow cart path that takes one to the driving range."

Bingo and Thank You :super: and we are going tomorrow with our youngest and his wife. If we get lost there is always the one named Sarasota I think. I can find that one without any problem.

:mademyday: I think the narrow cart path is what I was a missing. :mademyday:

I did look at the map just couldn't come up with it! I owe you one!

JerryLBell 12-27-2019 10:01 PM

The one time I played, I took a putter, a pitching wedge and a 9-iron and never used the 9-iron. If I'd have brought my sand wedge instead, I might have used it for the shorter (60 yards or so) holes.

ronjon309 12-28-2019 10:53 AM

The most important club to bring is your retriever!