Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, Non Villages Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-non-villages-discussion-93/)
-   -   Veterans from Vietnam & earlier (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-non-villages-discussion-93/veterans-vietnam-earlier-301257/)

Graspher 12-29-2019 01:08 PM

Veterans from Vietnam & earlier

What goes through your mind when a stranger says to you - “thanks for your service” ?

No disrespect intended - just curious.

villagetinker 12-29-2019 01:16 PM

From the other side, I never served but I am very thankful for those that did, and when I get the chance I will thank them. I am going to watch the replies, in case my thank you is being misinterpreted.

Joe V. 12-29-2019 01:24 PM

Sometimes I wondered where were these people when I rotated back to the world. Most of the time lately I wonder if people actually mean it or are just being polite. I probably should not feel this way but I do.

Chatbrat 12-29-2019 01:25 PM

Repeat-"It was an honor to serve"--no matter what I did , my time in the submarine service was the most rewarding time of my life, it was the only "job" and or since I was self employed prior to retirement--that I actually enjoyed--never had such a sense of camaraderie

thelegges 12-29-2019 01:48 PM

For those who were met at the airport, with things thrown at them, spit on, no one would hire you because you were in that war. Its a different respect today.

While at Shades, a little girl about 5 or 6 came running up to me, and asked if she could hug me. Her father smiles, I said yes. She whispered my daddy said nobody thanked you when you came home. I just want to hug you and tell you thanks for protecting my family.

Nam Vets are finally getting some honor for defending their country. Most were drafted, some didn’t come home, some are homeless, and then some who came home, but are dying from effect of the war. Those children whose parents serve are taught what our generation returned to.

You rarely hear a Nam Vet speak about the war. But we still believe it was an honor to serve.

Welcome home Brother

JoMar 12-29-2019 01:51 PM

Always appreciate the comment even though I know that those that didn't serve felt differently, and may participated, in the protests in some form. I believe that attitudes can change and maybe reflection has changed their perspective. When I hear it from the Millennial's, Gen Z's and even Gen Alpha's I feel their sincerity since their attitudes didn't need to be changed and hopefully had parents that appreciates the military. If I see active military in restaurants I will usually pick up their tabs as a thank you for their service. A comment that may cause some controversy but I believe there should be mandatory service in our Country, not always military, but something to serve the Country and appreciate the opportunities that are here.....JMO

vintageogauge 12-29-2019 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoMar (Post 1705753)
Always appreciate the comment even though I know that those that didn't serve felt differently, and may participated, in the protests in some form. I believe that attitudes can change and maybe reflection has changed their perspective. When I hear it from the Millennial's, Gen Z's and even Gen Alpha's I feel their sincerity since their attitudes didn't need to be changed and hopefully had parents that appreciates the military. If I see active military in restaurants I will usually pick up their tabs as a thank you for their service. A comment that may cause some controversy but I believe there should be mandatory service in our Country, not always military, but something to serve the Country and appreciate the opportunities that are here.....JMO

Not everyone felt differently. There were those such as myself that wanted to serve but for many different reasons could not. I talked my dad into signing for me when I graduated as I was still only 17 at the time. The recruiter drove 6 of us down to Pittsburg for our physicals, and two of us were not accepted, I was classified 1Y for a heart murmur. It was a sad quiet ride home for the two of us as we were all prepared to leave that day in 1964 and it still bothers me today, a feeling that I wasn't good enough and that I missed a part of life that was common to all of us at that time. The other 4 all made it back safely but I had several friends that did not come home. Even though I respect freedom of speech, I disliked protests back then and still do today. And yes, I thank you all for your service.

John_W 12-29-2019 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thelegges (Post 1705751)
For those who were met at the airport, with things thrown at them, spit on, no one would hire you because you were in that war. Its a different respect today...

It hear that a lot, yet I landed at one of the most liberal cities in America, Seattle on December 22, 1971. It was a Friday afternoon, about 3pm I arrived at Sea-Tac Airport and the place was swamped. I found out I could get to Chicago that night or wait until Sunday night, 9pm for an Eastern Flight to Tampa. So I decided to buy a ticket and wait Friday night, all day Saturday and most of the day of Sunday inside the airport.

We had a real menagerie of people. Two planes from Vietnam, two planes from Korea and all of the college students of the state of Washington were there for Christmas break. The guys from Nam were wearing Khakis, no jacket and had a tan, the guys from Korea were wearing winter greens and overcoats and the college students were long hair wearing jeans and sandals and a bunch of pretty college girls added to the mix.

I never heard anyone say anything negative or saw anything. The only contact I had was I went the first night to the USO area and got donuts and a coffee and tried to find a place to sleep but it was packed with guys sleeping everywhere. I basically hung out in the airport of Seattle and I more in amazement of all the people, especially the ladies and even looking at American dollars instead of MPC's was odd.

When I got out of the Army in Savannah, me and friend applied for a switchman's job with Southern Railroad. Out of 80 people applying that day, only myself and my Army friend and two others were hired. I'm not saying that stuff didn't go on, it just never happened where I was. I don't think everyone should be a bad rap, especially when I returned home to St. Petersburg. It was a very conservative city back then, and veterans were treated very fairly.

If I have to show my VA ID for a discount, such as at Walgreens and they say "Thank you for your service", I say "Your Welcome".

Nucky 12-29-2019 07:09 PM

If there a better way to express gratitude with words to anyone who served our country at anytime and their families other than Thank You For Your Service speak up I'm all ears if it's something nice & respectful I'll change what I say.

What goes thru my mind is that I'm in awe of the person I'm thanking. Amazing people who are to be respected.

ColdNoMore 12-29-2019 07:23 PM

The Spitting Image (click here)

Quote:

The Spitting Image: Myth, Memory and the Legacy of Vietnam (1998) is a book by Vietnam veteran and Sociology professor Jerry Lembcke. The book is an analysis of the widely believed narrative that American soldiers were spat upon and insulted by antiwar protesters upon returning home from the Vietnam War. The book examines the origin of the earliest stories; the popularization of the "spat-upon image" through Hollywood movies and fiction literature, and the role of print news media in perpetuating the now iconic image through which the history of the war and antiwar movement has come to be represented.

Lembcke contrasts the absence of credible evidence of spitting by antiwar activists with the large body of evidence showing a mutually supportive, empathetic relationship between veterans and antiwar forces.

The book documents the efforts of the Nixon Administration to drive a wedge between military servicemen and the antiwar movement by portraying democratic dissent as betrayal of the troops, effectively redirecting blame for failure in Vietnam onto protesters.

twoplanekid 12-29-2019 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chatbrat (Post 1705747)
Repeat-"It was an honor to serve"--no matter what I did , my time in the submarine service was the most rewarding time of my life, it was the only "job" and or since I was self employed prior to retirement--that I actually enjoyed--never had such a sense of camaraderie

8th Radio Research Field Station - Phu Bai 1970

VVA Chapter 1036 - Home

jksturgeon 12-30-2019 05:34 AM

as a Vietnam Vet, i appreciate it very much because rather than being honored for threes combat tours of combat duty, was treated very disrespectfully for years. so its very nice to be appreciated for a change. Capt. USAF Navigator

nhbear 12-30-2019 05:54 AM

YES I LIKE TO HEAR IT :coolsmiley::MOJE_whot:

Cranford61 12-30-2019 06:16 AM

Captain, 347th Tactical Fighter Wing, Yokohama AB, Japan, 1970.

Dave2000 12-30-2019 06:35 AM

Served in the Navy 61 to 65, although serving on two aircraft carries I never went to Vietnam, proud of the men and women who did so I try to thank the people who thank me for my service in their honor.