Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Computer questions (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/computer-questions-92/)
-   -   iPhone and iPad Apps that Sizzle (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/computer-questions-92/iphone-ipad-apps-sizzle-30126/)

memason 07-03-2010 01:39 AM

iPhone and iPad Apps that Sizzle

There was a recent recommendation that we share information our Apps for the iPhone and iPad. Great idea, since I'm always looking for new ways to use my devices. So, I'll start with a couple of my favorites:

Device: iPad & iPhone
Cost: $0.00
App: Weatherbug
Comments: Weatherbug is a weather application that provides weather information on cities, worldwide. This app is simply beautiful on the iPad and includes current conditions, 7 Day forecast, Camera Views and a zoom-able weather map. iPhone version is also a good weather app.

Device: iPhone
App: Golfshot Lite
Comments: This app is for keeping golf score and statistics. I've only used it once, but it was very easy to use and provided some interesting statistics about my game. You can keep score for your 4 some, if you wish. There is a paid version of this app ($29.99), which is a GPS locator, as well. App has thousands of golf courses, including those in The Villages. The GPS on the iPhone will locate the closest courses to your current location. This is very useful, if you are in an unfamiliar area.

App: Shazam
Comments: This was one of my first apps and I believe one of the most amazing. The apps will "listen" to any music source (Radio, CD, TV, your humming, etc.) and will identify the artist and song. Once identified, you are normally presented with options to purchase from iTunes or many times, you can watch a YouTube video of the song.

ljones190 07-03-2010 09:35 AM

I pod and I pad Apps

My 3 favorite apps are;

Pandora Radio-cost 0.00, This is a radio station that you enter any artist and the radio will play that artist and artist similar to the one you picked.

AppBox Pro-cost .99 cents, this app has approx 35 different apps such as currency convertor, loan calulator, unit conversion app and many others.

Photo Transfer app- 2.99 allows transfer from pc to i pad to i touch wirelessly of all photos, quick and easy.

Dayton 07-03-2010 05:11 PM

A few free apps that I like are: foursquare, echofan (which is twitter), free apps (which offers all kinds of apps for free), background check (just to be nosey!), & photoshop mobile (for the pics I take with my phone!).

pooh 07-03-2010 05:36 PM

I've had Weather Bug for my computer for years and now have it on my Droid phone. It's great to see what the heck is going on while you're out, especially around here, where weather can go from okay to SEVERE in the blink of an eye.

I've also got Kindle for my computer and just added it to my phone. Nice when I have to wait around, I can read.

Will have to see if I can find Shazam for my phone....sounds interesting.

Regor 07-03-2010 07:16 PM

The best radar for the iPhone is iweathr.com (note the missing letter in weather) Just goto Safari and type the address in then bookmark it.

Larryandlinda 07-03-2010 09:09 PM

shazam goes bam

we put shazam on the iphone when it came out. haven't put it on the pad yet, but just noticed a new limit.
Do you need to be a union hummer?
We tried humming a few bars and nuttin happened.
Maybe we should hum AT a few bars to let looser?

By the way, we dodn't get 3G on the pad because one of us that pays bills and has too much to do says we have too many monthlies - I can lose the data plan in the iPhone or not get the pad data.

Has it come down?

Thanks L and L

Comments: This was one of my first apps and I believe one of the most amazing. The apps will "listen" to any music source (Radio, CD, TV, your humming, etc.) and will identify the artist and song. Once identified, you are normally presented with options to purchase from iTunes or many times, you can watch a YouTube video of the song.[/QUOTE]

GMONEY 07-12-2010 04:30 AM

If you got time during the day on your I-Phone. Check out Farm Story. You can manage your own farm, Plant crops, have cattle and things. You can visist other farms and water them for people. My kids have it, and got us hooked on it.

DirecTv also has an app for Iphone along with NetFlix. I use WFTV.com mobile set up for weather. animated radar is great. We had Weather Bug at work, and they made us remove that program due to Virus threats from the program.

Larryandlinda 07-12-2010 05:20 AM

Weather apps/bookmarks

Quote:

Originally Posted by pooh (Post 272996)
I've had Weather Bug for my computer for years and now have it on my Droid phone. It's great to see what the heck is going on while you're out, especially around here, where weather can go from okay to SEVERE in the blink of an eye.

I've also got Kindle for my computer and just added it to my phone. Nice when I have to wait around, I can read.

Will have to see if I can find Shazam for my phone....sounds interesting.

iPhone crashed Friday, Apple replaced it ,lost some apps and data.
We need to get the weather channel back that had hourly, three day, current, severe alerts, and 10 day.
What isnthe correct URL for that?
L&L

pooh 07-12-2010 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Larryandlinda (Post 274714)
iPhone crashed Friday, Apple replaced it ,lost some apps and data.
We need to get the weather channel back that had hourly, three day, current, severe alerts, and 10 day.
What isnthe correct URL for that?
L&L

THe Weather Channel and Weatherbug should be available in Market on your phone. The urls don't show up on my Droid.
For the computer, weatherbug.com should bring it up.
The Weather Channel for the computer is weather.com....again, I don't have the url for my phone.

Since you quoted my post, I'll assume you were asking me. Remember I don't have an Iphone, I have a Verizon Droid Incredible.

memason 07-12-2010 09:55 AM

Weather apps....

Just go to the app store and search for weatherbug or weather channel. There are lots of weather apps, so you might just want to search for weather and see what you get.

What version of iPhone did you have go belly up ?

Happy hunting

Pturner 07-12-2010 03:18 PM

My favorites:
  • AppBox Pro (already described)
  • Viewti Golf (3D course layouts, tracks scores, pick target based on analysis of your game, GPS, etc.)
  • Wikipanion (self explanatory)
  • News Feed (tons of new sources)
  • Pandora (already described)
  • Sudoku (self explanatory)
CardStar is wonderful in theory but doesn't work well. You enter your merchant "loyaty card" numbers and it duplicates your card's bar code. Theoretically, you can scan the duplicated bar code in CardStar rather than carrying all of your merchant loyatly cards. However, it usually doesn't work.

Redlaser is also good in theory, but doesn't work well. Theortically, you scan the bar code of an item you see at a store, and it will tell you the sales price of that same item at other stores, including online.

Larryandlinda 07-12-2010 08:57 PM

iphone saga (probably best in computer forum?)

Quote:

Originally Posted by memason (Post 274763)
Just go to the app store and search for weatherbug or weather channel. There are lots of weather apps, so you might just want to search for weather and see what you get.

What version of iPhone did you have go belly up ?

Happy hunting

L&L answer:

yeah, the canned weather on the home screen is paltry.
we like hour by hour
the 'daily', can give a bleak 70% (or more) of precip if at any time in the 24 hours there is a chance of a drip.

the fone?
it's our 4th after a theft, a bad slam in a car door, and a loss.
3G (we don't "qualify" for an upgrade for 18 mo.)

So we have the google/gmail calendar auto web-based push and synch - (this is great but made us lazy)
so it had been a couple months since the contacts and 'notes' were synched'

We plugged it into the minimac and that's when 'error 29' showed up 5 times after updates, etc.
It said 'reset me and lose the info or else turn me off"

I mean this thing went dumb as can be- no function - you know that 'you're screwed and everything is lost' screen that says' plug me in to Itunes now or I'm not talking!'
no camera, no 9-11 calls.
Support geniuses walked me though some steps:
error 29 is 'hardware' try another synch cord, another port, finally gave an appointment for that night.
they gave us a new fone with a couple signatures.

Back in March the phone went for a freshwater dive and the home button went out- it was fresh water and just 3 seconds when it went overboard in a lake with me.
Tried all the tricks - fridge, rave, dessicant, warmth, you name it.

Our son opened it and cleaned contacts (should have used an eraser but he used something a bit stronger)
A few functions came back but to get 'home' it required tedious poweringn off and waiting, then powering on.
The son found a shortcut involving setting it up with a code for an emergency call . The home button miraculously came back in 60 days.
We took it to Apple and without even opening the kid knew it went under water-tell tale white dot visible from the outside was red.
BUT the two others inside were still white- so it was a short soak.

We must have had a colorblind genius when we got the new fone last week

We now have some dry bags for such outings, and a large one for the iPad.
Hey, is there a way to 'tether' the iphone to our iPad to avoid yet another 'plan??

L&L

memason 07-13-2010 10:03 AM

iPhone Tethering

Quote:

Originally Posted by Larryandlinda (Post 274928)
Hey, is there a way to 'tether' the iphone to our iPad to avoid yet another 'plan??

L&L

Well, that's an interesting question. The short answer is yes, but you might not like the way you have to do it...

First, a disclaimer: it would be illegal to tether in the US, since AT&T will not allow it and therefore, you would be "stealing" their bandwidth.

OK.... Yes, technically you can tether, but you first have to jailbreak your iPhone. If it's still under warranty, jailbreaking will void the warranty. If your one year is up, it doesn't much matter. Although, sometimes Apple will replace your phone if you can prove it to be a defect in workmanship, etc. So, proceed with caution.

Once you jailbreak and install Cydia, you can install an app called MyFi, which will allow you to make your iPhone a WiFi hotspot. Therefore, you can use the iPhone to tether anything...iPad, Computer, iPod, etc...

Technically, there's no reason we shouldn't be able to do this. It's all a matter of everyone getting their cut of the usage fee pie (profit).

Go to YouTube and search on iPhone tethering and you'll get all the help you need, if you want to tackle it.

Enjoy.....

memason 07-18-2010 08:30 AM

Comcast and the iPad

For all you Comcast users, here's a new app that looks very interesting. I don't believe it's been released yet, but if you're remotely (no pun intended :icon_wink:) interested in using your iPad as a remote control for the cable box...here's your chance.

Checkout this video....

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLz72XErN8U[/ame]

mitchbr47 07-18-2010 08:49 AM

Scrabble anyone?

Quote:

Originally Posted by memason (Post 272904)
There was a recent recommendation that we share information our Apps for the iPhone and iPad. Great idea, since I'm always looking for new ways to use my devices. So, I'll start with a couple of my favorites:

Device: iPad & iPhone
App: Weatherbug
Comments: Weatherbug is a weather application that provides weather information on cities, worldwide. This app is simply beautiful on the iPad and includes current conditions, 7 Day forecast, Camera Views and a zoom-able weather map. iPhone version is also a good weather app.

App: Golfshot Lite
Comments: This app is for keeping golf score and statistics. I've only used it once, but it was very easy to use and provided some interesting statistics about my game. You can keep score for your 4 some, if you wish. There is a paid version of this app ($29.99), which is a GPS locator, as well. App has thousands of golf courses, including those in The Villages. The GPS on the iPhone will locate the closest courses to your current location. This is very useful, if you are in an unfamiliar area.

Comments: This was one of my first apps and I believe one of the most amazing. The apps will "listen" to any music source (Radio, CD, TV, your humming, etc.) and will identify the artist and song. Once identified, you are normally presented with options to purchase from iTunes or many times, you can watch a YouTube video of the song.

I'm an ipod touch and ipod user. My faves are MLB.com At Bat 2010 for checking out the ball games by listening to the audio and watching video highlights. Bing Music plays the top 100 songs by yearsI am addicted to Scrabble. I also enjoy Sirius XM along with Pandora. Sirius XM has a free 7 day trial. Another interesting app is Adobe Ideas (free) for simple sketching. ABC Player is great for watching recent shows. Whistle works great for free long distance calls with a 15 second commercial before connecting. It is like having a speaker phone on the ipad. I also have a Nikon guide app that is better than reading the fine print in the manual.
I went with the 64 GB model after buying a smaller size flash drive on my ipod touch. I'm looking forward to multitasking with iOS4 this fall.
Has anyone purchased speakers for their ipad?