Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Part time jobs easy or hard to get? (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/part-time-jobs-easy-hard-get-301261/)

Craig Vernon 12-29-2019 04:23 PM

Part time jobs easy or hard to get?

Looking forward as many of you know to buy a place in TV. In order to expedite our move at age 55, my wife 52, is my goal that would be about 15 months. Anyone work a part time job to keep moving and just for beer money upon arrival. I have heard there are part time jobs that don't pay much 9-12 per hour. I am a heating, plumbing and electric guy and my wife is an office manager. So is it easy or difficult to get a part time job to work till Social Security age or stay in the cold for a few more years? Thoughts? Thanks in advance.

JSR22 12-29-2019 04:28 PM

Wages down here are very low. Most PT jobs are minimum wage which is under $9.00 an hour.

2newyorkers 12-29-2019 04:35 PM

You will have no problem getting a job. My brother walked into a parts place in Belleview and was offered a job on the spot. Go to Indeed.com. Data enter what type a job you are looking for and The Villages and you will get an idea of what is available and the pay.

justjim 12-29-2019 04:35 PM

Part-time jobs are available in TV. There are “hiring” signs just about everywhere. However, benefits are rarely available for these jobs and as you mention most are in the $10-$12 wage category. Most higher paying skilled jobs are full-time positions and some come with benefits such as insurance, vacation etc.

Craig Vernon 12-29-2019 04:37 PM

no benefits needed

Quote:

Originally Posted by justjim (Post 1705798)
Part-time jobs are available in TV. There are “hiring” signs just about everywhere. However, benefits are rarely available for these jobs and as you mention most are in the $10-$12 wage category. Most higher paying skilled jobs are full-time positions and some come with benefits such as insurance, vacation etc.

We would not need benefits. Thanks for the response.

Dan9871 12-29-2019 04:40 PM

If you can transfer an electrician or plumbing license down here I don't think you would have much of a problem getting a job here. This Mike Scott Plumbing | Careers and this Electrician Wildwood FL Careers | Pikes Electric Inc. are looking as are many others. There is a lot of commercial and residential construction going on in this area. I've no idea what the pay is.

The Villages usually has openings for office workers but the low wages.

Craig Vernon 12-29-2019 04:59 PM

Checked out Indeed.com

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2newyorkers (Post 1705797)
You will have no problem getting a job. My brother walked into a parts place in Belleview and was offered a job on the spot. Go to Indeed.com. Data enter what type a job you are looking for and The Villages and you will get an idea of what is available and the pay.

Indeed.com was great advice. I saw dozens of jobs on the site that would be possible. Thank You.

Bucco 12-29-2019 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Craig Vernon (Post 1705792)
Looking forward as many of you know to buy a place in TV. In order to expedite our move at age 55, my wife 52, is my goal that would be about 15 months. Anyone work a part time job to keep moving and just for beer money upon arrival. I have heard there are part time jobs that don't pay much 9-12 per hour. I am a heating, plumbing and electric guy and my wife is an office manager. So is it easy or difficult to get a part time job to work till Social Security age or stay in the cold for a few more years? Thoughts? Thanks in advance.

As a start try this...these are jobs working in The Villages..

Careers In The Villages - Find Your Dream Job

Mmarr 12-30-2019 06:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Craig Vernon (Post 1705792)

No problem getting work.. Medical high demand .. plumbing check licenses for state.. fyi no state, city local taxes ..
Watch where you buy.. Bonds add ins to homes can be expensive..
Good luck

elevatorman 12-30-2019 07:16 AM

New minimum wage

New minimum wage $8.56 as of 01/01/2020. This is up 10 cents from present.

kkeennyy 12-30-2019 09:47 AM

If COSTCO was here , they start at about 13.50 an hr.

Back9 12-30-2019 01:39 PM

Heating, plumbing and electric? (AC?)

That should be Golden around here.

Back9 12-30-2019 01:45 PM

////

Villagesgal 12-30-2019 01:56 PM

If you want full time jobs with benefits, there are plenty. You would still have evenings and weekends to enjoy the amenities here. We moved here 19 years ago at ages 46 and 47. We both took full time jobs outside the Villages making very good money for down here and now are retired with pensions from ore jobs here and ss. Best move we ever made and so glad we came so young to enjoy it all. Hoping for another 19 or more years to enjoy it all here. Make the move, you won't regret it.

Craig Vernon 12-30-2019 02:12 PM

You're my dream scenario

Quote:

Originally Posted by Villagesgal (Post 1706010)
If you want full time jobs with benefits, there are plenty. You would still have evenings and weekends to enjoy the amenities here. We moved here 19 years ago at ages 46 and 47. We both took full time jobs outside the Villages making very good money for down here and now are retired with pensions from ore jobs here and ss. Best move we ever made and so glad we came so young to enjoy it all. Hoping for another 19 or more years to enjoy it all here. Make the move, you won't regret it.

We have savings and I get a pension at 55 but supplement income until a time when we want to totally stop working while living the dream (TV). Thanks for your response grinning from ear to ear.