Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, Non Villages Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-non-villages-discussion-93/)
-   -   Kitchen Lights Went Out (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-non-villages-discussion-93/kitchen-lights-went-out-301309/)

Buckeyephan 12-31-2019 06:53 PM

Kitchen Lights Went Out

Our recessed lights in the kitchen were on at dinner time and suddenly went out We flipped the circuit breakers without luck. We went through the house, garage and lanai and can’t find any other lighting that is affected. We have an Iris. Any ideas?

Rapscallion St Croix 12-31-2019 07:00 PM

If they are on a dimmer switch, that would be the first thing I would check.

birdiebill 12-31-2019 07:01 PM

Suggest you check for GFI outlets around the kitchen or the foyer. Sometimes those are on the same circuit as the room lights. If one has tripped, reset it.

rjm1cc 12-31-2019 08:38 PM

I just have a light go bad.
I replaced the switch and no luck.
I called an electrocution. The problem was the wires that are twisted together with a plastic cap on top had separated. over the years one wire pulled back from the other. No idea how. I would check and tighten all the wiring in the receptacle. Be sure to turn off the breaker.
You can test the switch by touching the two black wires that go into the switch together and see if the light works. It did in my case because I was actually pulling the wires and getting the twisted pair to touch. So if touching works you could replace the switch before checking all the wiring if you want.

karostay 12-31-2019 09:17 PM

My guess bad switch or wired some how became disconnected from the switch
Lights should not be GFI protected
Everything here is bare minimum just meets code not code +

Toymeister 12-31-2019 10:28 PM

Buy a non-contact voltage detector Robot Check and check voltage at switch. This will precisely locate the issues.

No speculation by strangers. They are available at Lowe's and Home Depot.
Maybe this link will work.
https://www.amazon.com/Klein-Tools-N...x=non-c&sr=8-3

tsmall22204 01-01-2020 05:46 AM

Call an electrician!!!!!!!!!!!!

Moonrunner 01-01-2020 06:32 AM

Circuit breaker

Flip that circuit breaker HARD. It may take a few tries.

ts12755 01-01-2020 06:49 AM

When you say you flipped the circuit breaker with no luck... What ecactly are you saying?

1) was it tripped and you tried to reset it and it kept tripping? If that is the case you have a short somewhere and you better get an electrician to find it.

2) did you just go to the breaker and trip it and reset it hoping to fix the problem. (Assuming you had the right breaker).

papasetti82 01-01-2020 07:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rjm1cc (Post 1706239)
I just have a light go bad.
I replaced the switch and no luck.
I called an electrocution. The problem was the wires that are twisted together with a plastic cap on top had separated. over the years one wire pulled back from the other. No idea how. I would check and tighten all the wiring in the receptacle. Be sure to turn off the breaker.
You can test the switch by touching the two black wires that go into the switch together and see if the light works. It did in my case because I was actually pulling the wires and getting the twisted pair to touch. So if touching works you could replace the switch before checking all the wiring if you want.

Good thing that you didn't get the Electrocution that you called for.:icon_wink:

IvorT 01-01-2020 08:10 AM

Check if any of the power outlets in the kitchen area are affected. If they are also out, then the problem is the circuit breaker behind one of the outlets. They are difficult to press with your fingers. Use a spoon handle or similar to press ‘test’ and then press ‘reset’. These words are written on the outlet. May have to get close to read them. If it keeps tripping, call an electrician.

bmit16 01-01-2020 08:50 AM

Probably a ground fault on an outside receptacle. Check all outside receptacles for gfi breakers. Pay close attention to any outside receptacle that water could splash on.

Craig Vernon 01-01-2020 09:12 AM

Best answer for Check it yourself!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toymeister (Post 1706255)
Buy a non-contact voltage detector Robot Check and check voltage at switch. This will precisely locate the issues.

No speculation by strangers. They are available at Lowe's and Home Depot.
Maybe this link will work.
Robot Check

This is a great first step and everyone should have one of these. Safe and anyone can use it. Or call a professional.

villagetinker 01-01-2020 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buckeyephan (Post 1706227)
Our recessed lights in the kitchen were on at dinner time and suddenly went out We flipped the circuit breakers without luck. We went through the house, garage and lanai and can’t find any other lighting that is affected. We have an Iris. Any ideas?

OP, lots of misinformation here. Ceiling lights are NOT on GFI circuits. Also, you must fully turn OFF a circuit breaker before turning it back on, if you just move it to the On position after a trip, it will not reset. If your house is similar to ours, there may be several switches in the same box as the kitchen lights, do any or all of the other lights work? If so this probably eliminates the breaker, our house has the 2 sets of ceiling lights, the switched outlets above the cabinets, and a light just outside the laundry area in the same box, and off the same supply circuit. I have had light bulbs fail and cause the dimmer switch to fail. Send me a PM if you would like to discuss further.

OhioBuckeye 01-01-2020 10:39 AM

Ohiobuckeye

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buckeyephan (Post 1706227)

Depending on how old it is! Called TV's warranty dept. or the builder & let him get your electrician back. It could be a lot of things. Surprised it didn't start the day you bought the home. Could be a short in the line, overload & it made the breaker weak. Buy a new breaker & Dimmer & install it. If that's not it then it's probably in the wiring to each one of the lights. Good luck!