Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Talk of the Movies (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/talk-movies-127/)
-   -   Rialto Theater closing on January 3, 2020? (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/talk-movies-127/rialto-theater-closing-january-3-2020-a-301313/)

Taltarzac725 01-01-2020 08:35 AM

Rialto Theater closing on January 3, 2020?

I see that all the movies at the Rialto Theater are leaving on Thursday, January 2, 2020. I assume that means that they are going to be renovating the lobby and changing the seating?

stan the man 01-01-2020 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 (Post 1706295)
I see that all the movies at the Rialto Theater are leaving on Thursday, January 2, 2020. I assume that means that they are going to be renovating the lobby and changing the seating?

Have you called the Rialto or just making a guess

Taltarzac725 01-01-2020 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stan the man (Post 1706324)
Have you called the Rialto or just making a guess

No I did not call them. The Villages Daily Sun had articles about the Rialto closing but I had expected that this would have been in the Fall of 2019.

The Old Mill Playhouse is set for the Event Cinema in 2020. It was something that the Rialto would have if they were open for business.

I do go to these theaters a few times a week and have heard theater workers talking about a shut down of the Rialto.

CWGUY 01-01-2020 10:27 AM

:read: Read the Movie Listings in today's "Daily Sun" :popcorn:

Taltarzac725 01-01-2020 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CWGUY (Post 1706340)
:read: Read the Movie Listings in today's "Daily Sun" :popcorn:

That does make it obvious that they are closing for a while. Just would like to know when they expect to reopen. They might not know though.

I do think some theater workers read Talk of the Villages.

blueash 01-01-2020 12:42 PM

It seems like poor planning to elect to do an upgrade just as your busiest business time begins. This could have been done in summer 2019 if the permits and plans were ready, or it could wait until peak time here is over.

Taltarzac725 01-01-2020 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blueash (Post 1706366)
It seems like poor planning to elect to do an upgrade just as your busiest business time begins. This could have been done in summer 2019 if the permits and plans were ready, or it could wait until peak time here is over.

Agree there. Just interested to see what they are doing with their plans.

Their Event Cinema listings through December 2020 all list the Old Mill Playhouse as far as I can tell. And the signage for Event Cinema in the lobby of the Old Mill Playhouse also has these dates for that being the venue.

COMINGSOON

John_W 01-01-2020 01:09 PM

If you look in today's Sun under movie listing, you see the 8 shows listed at the Rialto, 3 have next to their title "opening at OMP on Friday", the other five say, "Thursday is last day".

The topic has been discussed on here when the Morse Family had the developer's meeting last spring. It was also written up in article in the newspaper. I just did search on TOTV and found these:

May 12, 2019

Quote:

Originally Posted by coffeebean
This is probably old news but I just heard from Ryan McCabe in the Morse meeting that is televised on channel 2, the Rialto Theater will be undergoing a complete remodel. This includes recliner seats, a new sound system and a restaurant in the lobby. Finally, this theater will getting a much needed and overdue renovation. The project is starting this summer and will be completed next year and will be closed during the renovation.

September 14, 2019

Quote:

Originally Posted by Schaumburger
This is probably old news to some of you, but maybe not to all of you...

When I was at the Old Mill Playhouse this afternoon, I spoke to one of the employees, and this gentleman told me the Rialto Theatre will be closed for approximately 6 months starting sometime in October for major renovations. A Lazy Mac pizza restaurant will be opening in the lobby of the Rialto when it reopens.

This employee also told me that after the Rialto is renovated, the Barnstorm Theatre will be renovated as a Lazy Mac BBQ restaurant will be opening in that lobby. The employee told me Barnstorm Theatre will not need to close for this renovation.

Taltarzac725 01-01-2020 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John_W (Post 1706378)
If you look in today's Sun under movie listing, you see the 8 shows listed at the Rialto, 3 have next to their title "opening at OMP on Friday", the other five say, "Thursday is last day".

The topic has been discussed on here when the Morse Family had the developer's meeting last spring. It was also written up in article in the newspaper. I just did search on TOTV and found these:

May 12, 2019

September 14, 2019

I do remember the old threads.

Bogie Shooter 01-01-2020 03:20 PM

:shrug:

Taltarzac725 01-01-2020 05:18 PM

I suppose I could chat with them on Facebook. The Rialto Theater as well as the others each have their own Facebook pages and I have posted on these in the past or chatted with them on Facebook.

TNTaterTot 01-02-2020 08:05 PM

The weekly e-letter from The Villages Movie Theaters states that Rialto is currently closed for renovations and enhancements in order to bring us an all new movie experience.

Taltarzac725 01-02-2020 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TNTaterTot (Post 1706684)
The weekly e-letter from The Villages Movie Theaters states that Rialto is currently closed for renovations and enhancements in order to bring us an all new movie experience.

Thanks for that information.

bilcon 01-03-2020 08:25 AM

:clap2::clap2::MOJE_whot:Maybe the'll open an Indian Restaurant in the Realto.

Taltarzac725 01-03-2020 09:25 AM

Today's The Villages Daily Sun has a notice in the movie listings that the Rialto is closed for renovations.

A phone number is listed in the movie descriptions which is just the general number for the Rialto Theater. (352) 259-1111.