Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, Non Villages Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-non-villages-discussion-93/)
-   -   Google Fi (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-non-villages-discussion-93/google-fi-301344/)

CFrance 01-02-2020 11:48 AM

Google Fi

I am considering switching from AT&T to Google Fi (I have a Google Pixel 3 phone). It would be unlimited text, calling & data. My only reluctance is how good the reception/coverage is in TV.

Does anyone use Google Fi and if so, what is your experience with it? I'm not looking for suggestions for other carriers, just someone who can give me a review of Google Fi. Tx.

Big O 01-02-2020 01:02 PM

Google Fi

I have used Google Fi for at least 2 years and like it a lot. The only problem I've had lately is with texts. Some have taken a couple of days to receive. I think Android is in the process of changing platforms from SMS to something else. Also, I think you are wrong about unlimited data. I believe it is $10 a gig. When you reach a certain point it is free. I have never gone over since Google Fi uses WiFi wherever available. It is also encrypted when using WiFi. I hope this helps.

CFrance 01-02-2020 08:08 PM

Thanks for your answer.

There is an unlimited data/talk/text plan now, but it's $70/month for one person. I think I will start with the lower plan that charges $10/gigabyte like you have. I was trying to see how the reception is around here, and it sounds like you are not having a problem.

When we came here ten years ago, I had Sprint. Not very good data reception, so I switched to AT&T. They have good reception. I wouldn't change except their rates have gone up and up.

Toymeister 01-02-2020 11:56 PM

I have had Google Fi for 3.5 years. I love it. Good coverage except Costa Rica

CFrance 01-03-2020 08:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toymeister (Post 1706717)
I have had Google Fi for 3.5 years. I love it. Good coverage except Costa Rica

Have you ever used it in Europe, Toymeister?

Big O 01-03-2020 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CFrance (Post 1706739)

I have used it in Europe, Australia, and New Zealand.

Toymeister 01-03-2020 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CFrance (Post 1706739)

With a "puck" mobile hotspot it, works in Afghanistan, if you find yourself this way.

CFrance 01-03-2020 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toymeister (Post 1706810)
With a "puck" mobile hotspot it, works in Afghanistan, if you find yourself this way.

Thanks, but I think I'll pass for now! Stay safe, wherever you are.

JohnN 01-04-2020 02:16 PM

My son uses Google Fi in Europe and all over the U.S. and likes it quite a bit

CFrance 01-04-2020 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnN (Post 1707124)
My son uses Google Fi in Europe and all over the U.S. and likes it quite a bit

That's good to know. I just signed up for it. We'll see how it goes.