Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   What have you done recently for someone else ... (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/what-have-you-done-recently-someone-else-301363/)

SanFranDianne 01-03-2020 10:18 AM

What have you done recently for someone else ...

What have you done recently for someone else? 2020 in optical terms is perfect vision. Perhaps this New Year 2020 is a perfect time for us to look around us and see what we can do for our neighbor. Some people are too shy to ask for help. This year just might be the perfect inroad to make 2020 be the Year of Peace!

JSR22 01-03-2020 10:39 AM

I went to lunch with 15 women the week before Christmas. We surprised the server with a &1600.00 tip. She was overjoyed. We all said we would do it again.

SanFranDianne 01-03-2020 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JSR22 (Post 1706787)
I went to lunch with 15 women the week before Christmas. We surprised the server with a &1600.00 tip. She was overjoyed. We all said we would do it again.

Incredible~! Congratulations to you all for reaching out and bringing joy to someone else.

JSR22 01-03-2020 11:35 AM

It was fortunate that we did that. Her washer and dryer broke a couple of days after Christmas.

Rapscallion St Croix 01-03-2020 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SanFranDianne (Post 1706783)
What have you done recently for someone else? 2020 in optical terms is perfect vision. Perhaps this New Year 2020 is a perfect time for us to look around us and see what we can do for our neighbor. Some people are too shy to ask for help. This year just might be the perfect inroad to make 2020 be the Year of Peace!

I am taking this as a thought-provoking, rhetorical question rather than a literal request to list our altruistic accomplishments. Thank you, SanFranDianne.

retiredguy123 01-03-2020 12:16 PM

Quote:

I agree, but I am not sure people are too shy to ask for help. I have found that most of the time, people will refuse an offer to help, even when it is obvious that they need help. One Sunday morning at the postal station, I offered to give a lady a quarter to get a paper because she only had 3 quarters. She said, "Oh no, I'll walk home and get my own quarter". Maybe someone can explain this attitude about accepting help.

Taltarzac725 01-03-2020 12:35 PM

I have been working on my 224 613 Project since January of 1991 even if I had not starting using these two numbers in late 1992 after I started in a 17 week study on stress on the unemployed. This was at the University of California, San Francisco Health Campus. I had discovered a glaring niche in libraries for practical information for survivors/victims of crimes when I started looking for materials to help my fellow Earl Wooster High School students cope with the 2-24-1976 murder of Michelle Mitchell near the University of Nevada, Reno (UNR) campus. She was a 19 year old nursing UNR student and daughter of my then remedial English teacher Mrs. Barbara Mitchell. 2-24 is my birthday. I earned four degrees (B.A. 1980/B.A.1981 /M.A 1984./J.D. 1989) to do something about this niche but was pushed out of law librarianship when I forced the issue in a public way at law library conventions and then also starting working on public libraries via the American Library Association conventions. And then I thought why not bring in many of the writers going to these library conventions? And then extended it to celebrities like movie stars and Hollywood studio heads..... This is just a hobby. And I do it to help people not to put money in my pocket even though money has been a huge problem. And the forces that be in these institutions have pushed back as well in many ways. But after 29 years I am still at it. What's in your library for survivors/victims of crimes and their friends and families? Of course what is in some small town library in Alaska or Texas would probably be quite different from what is in NYC or Los Angeles.

SanFranDianne 01-03-2020 04:13 PM

A perfectly timed good deed

Quote:

Originally Posted by JSR22 (Post 1706798)
It was fortunate that we did that. Her washer and dryer broke a couple of days after Christmas.

It must have been a double pleasure to have helped her in such a timely fashion.

I'm impressed!

ColdNoMore 01-03-2020 04:25 PM

Quote:

A wonderful sentiment and I applaud you for it. :clap2:

:cool:

Nucky 01-03-2020 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JSR22 (Post 1706787)

That was you? Thank You! :clap2:

Seriously, that is beautiful. What a great bunch you all are. :pray:

Barefoot 01-03-2020 06:49 PM

Quote:

2020 as the Year of Peace. What a great thought, thanks Dianne.

Taltarzac725 01-03-2020 10:10 PM

Washoe County Sheriff's Office - Northern Nevada's Full Service Law Enforcement Agency

If you want to get involved with the 224 613 Project check what your hometown library has for survivors/victims of crimes as well as those with mental illness. And to prevent bullying in all its forms.

The Washoe County Sheriff's Office (in Northern Nevada including Reno) has a lot of very good links for keeping people safe. Of course, each community would be different.

I had started looking for practical materials to help my fellow students at Earl Wooster High School cope with the 2-24-1976 murder investigation into the slaying of Michelle Mitchell. This was not "solved" until 1979. It is a very complicated matter. Anyway, my searches to aid my fellow high students started with the Washoe County Library and soon included the University of Nevada, Reno Library.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 (Post 1706813)
I have been working on my 224 613 Project since January of 1991 even if I had not starting using these two numbers in late 1992 after I started in a 17 week study on stress on the unemployed. This was at the University of California, San Francisco Health Campus. I had discovered a glaring niche in libraries for practical information for survivors/victims of crimes when I started looking for materials to help my fellow Earl Wooster High School students cope with the 2-24-1976 murder of Michelle Mitchell near the University of Nevada, Reno (UNR) campus. She was a 19 year old nursing UNR student and daughter of my then remedial English teacher Mrs. Barbara Mitchell. 2-24 is my birthday. I earned four degrees (B.A. 1980/B.A.1981 /M.A 1984./J.D. 1989) to do something about this niche but was pushed out of law librarianship when I forced the issue in a public way at law library conventions and then also starting working on public libraries via the American Library Association conventions. And then I thought why not bring in many of the writers going to these library conventions? And then extended it to celebrities like movie stars and Hollywood studio heads..... This is just a hobby. And I do it to help people not to put money in my pocket even though money has been a huge problem. And the forces that be in these institutions have pushed back as well in many ways. But after 29 years I am still at it. What's in your library for survivors/victims of crimes and their friends and families? Of course what is in some small town library in Alaska or Texas would probably be quite different from what is in NYC or Los Angeles.

jswirs 01-04-2020 06:16 AM

I love the analogy....20-20 vision! I'm beginning this year by volunteering my time in various places / agencies.

KLBNJ 01-04-2020 07:43 AM

I really love this thought provoking question and idea and will pass it on and reach out more in 2020. You can start with a simple smile. It cost nothing and is so nice to greet someone with a genuine smile. How are you? May I help you? Little Acts of Kindness.
Thank you a wonderful thought and idea.

J1ceasar 01-04-2020 08:50 AM

Charity and Goodwill should be in the whole year affair. I collect clothing all year for the forest people of Ocala and anyone that wants to donate clothing or useful items can contact me. In 2019 I've had about 1,200 lb of clothing given and contributed. Regards Julius Rosen Pennbrooke Fairways