Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, Non Villages Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-non-villages-discussion-93/)
-   -   Firestick Amazon (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-non-villages-discussion-93/firestick-amazon-301398/)

gcanonge 01-04-2020 11:24 AM

Firestick Amazon

I recently purchased a Amazon Firestick. I down loaded Kodi and watched a few movies with some aggravation. I am not very teckie!
Now it seems I can't get any thing but No Stream Available / Add Ons Not Working / Buffering Issues / Freezing while playing etc. Would any one be willing to help me get this cleared up? Thanks

Nucky 01-04-2020 12:02 PM

I'll help you no problemo. It has been my experience that using a Roku device instead of a Firestick solved 98% of the problem I had and you mentioned. Good Luck.

You need to reveal what internet provider and speed of service you have also, that would be helpful in helping you.

John_W 01-04-2020 12:20 PM

Like Nucky posted, it sounds like your internet speed. You probably need 10mpbs or better to avoid buffering. If you don't know your speed, and your computer and TV are both connected to your router, go on your computer and go to this website and click 'go'.

Internet Speed Test | Check Your Internet Speed | CenturyLink

EdFNJ 01-04-2020 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gcanonge (Post 1707073)
I recently purchased a Amazon Firestick. I down loaded Kodi and watched a few movies with some aggravation.

Well, when you watch for free what you are supposed to be paying for, with it generally comes some aggravation. :D Keep watching out your front window for the black SUV's and the guys coming down ropes from the unmarked helicopter! :a040: You also have Amazon Prime on the stick with lots of movies and I'd bet those work better but you have to pay for Prime. LOT'S of good series on there besides the normal stuff. You don't use Kodi for that. ;)

gcanonge 01-04-2020 03:19 PM

Xfinity Comcast Download 172 Upload 11.7 :Ping 24 Jitter 2 Hope this helps

gcanonge 01-04-2020 03:20 PM

Xfinity / Comcast download 172 Upload 11.7 Ping 24 Jitter 2 Hope this helps and thanks for the link

gcanonge 01-04-2020 03:21 PM

....and how exactly is this suppose to help me?

Blackie 01-04-2020 03:37 PM

This link gives some reasons and fixes.

KODI RUNNING SLOW ON FIRESTICK - HOW TO FIX? [Solved] - Kodiforu

jkrosborne 01-05-2020 06:29 AM

Help Available

Quote:

I recently purchased a Amazon Firestick. I down loaded Kodi and watched a few movies with some aggravation. I am not very teckie!
Now it seems I can't get any thing but No Stream Available / Add Ons Not Working / Buffering Issues / Freezing while playing etc. Would any one be willing to help me get this cleared up? Thanks

I use Fire Stick all the time and it works great. I got lots of help online. Search for Troypoint online. Once there look into downloading Cinema, Real Debrid and a VPN from his website.

Pmelo 01-05-2020 07:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gcanonge (Post 1707133)
....and how exactly is this suppose to help me?

Clean your cache
Get a VPN for privacy to stay away for the men in black someone mentioned
See if this helps sst all

HelenLCSW 01-05-2020 07:45 AM

Quote:

Contact your internet provider and get a faster speed —that issue is why I am reluctant to give up cable just yet

IUFAN 01-05-2020 08:15 AM

I purchased a firestick preloaded from a vendor at Marion market. It has a movie channel loaded called Cinema and works very well. Just keep the cache cleared about every month or so.

LOMDtrainman 01-05-2020 08:33 AM

Hacked Firestick!

Quote:

Originally Posted by IUFAN (Post 1707295)
I purchased a firestick preloaded from a vendor at Marion market. It has a movie channel loaded called Cinema and works very well. Just keep the cache cleared about every month or so.

Don't know whatyou paid for this at the firestick or which model. you could have bought one from Amazon for 24.99 since yours has KODI added you should be using a VPN otherwise you are useing illigal copyrighted material and are subject to massive fines. Buffering is another issue may be due to your Internet speed and your router. Check out the site on YouTube Do It Yourself Tech Projects For Home & Small Business

LOMDtrainman 01-05-2020 08:35 AM

[QUOTE=LOMDtrainman;1707311]Don't know whatyou paid for this at the firestick or which model. you could have bought one from Amazon for 24.99 since yours has KODI added you should be using a VPN otherwise you are useing illigal copyrighted material and are subject to massive fines. Buffering is another issue may be due to your Internet speed and your router. Check out the site on YouTube [url=http://www.troypoint.com]

russoncindy 01-05-2020 08:46 AM

Quote:

I've been using Kodi for over 5 years and what you're experiencing is normal. Your internet speed is fine. The lack of 'servers' i.e. sites that are prepared to host movies, TV pgms etc is the problem. You can install an app called real-debrid which may help but as you say you're a non teckie I would take the advice of those that say give up and enjoy the movies that come with TV firestick or Roku. Join Amazon prime if you want more free movies. Netflix is also a good bet. If you are determined to stick with Kodi then you face a long haul and a steep learning curve. Your best source of info/help is Troypoint. Currently I've found the addon Tempest to work relatively well. The subsection livetv (iptv) -> movies-> which includes HBO, Showtime, Starz and CNN work reasonably well. A vpn service is well advised. All in all the days of Directv, Dishnet etc are numbered and streaming is the future, your biggest problem will be which one(s) to choose but that's another topic.

Heyitsrick 01-05-2020 08:56 AM

Just curious - why can't you just pay the few bucks to watch a movie online vs. "pirating" (accessing premium content without paying) copyrighted content?

I've heard all of the excuses/rationalizations for why people stream premium content without paying. They range from "it's digital - it's not really stealing!", to "they charge too much for movies!", to "these companies rip us off all the time!", to "I can't afford to pay!", to "I'm sticking it to the man!" (whoever that is), etc. None of these types of excuses are valid reasons to avoid paying for premium content. People do it because they can.

And by the way, if someone really can't afford $5 to watch a movie online, they absolutely need to redirect their efforts away from pursuing online video entertainment. They have more pressing issues. Plus, there are many, many popular free movies available online now that are supported by added commercials.

Streaming pirated content is taking income from the copyright holders and/or license holders - the ones who actually took the $$$ risks in creating and legally distributing the content. And the thing is, I really don't have to explain this. Everyone knows it, regardless of the excuses they give to try and justify the behavior.

DavidK 01-05-2020 09:19 AM

Give this a try first

Quote:

I too have a fire stick on my TV. It does get jambed up once in awhile and I just unplug the power supply plug for a minute and replug it. If you have not done this first, give it a try.

russoncindy 01-05-2020 10:08 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by John_W (Post 1707094)
Like Nucky posted, it sounds like your internet speed. You probably need 10mpbs or better to avoid buffering. If you don't know your speed, and your computer and TV are both connected to your router, go on your computer and go to this website and click 'go'.

Internet Speed Test | Check Your Internet Speed | CenturyLink

I believe CenturyLink is somewhat optimistic in their speed ratings. On my system Century tells me 40mps download, using a non-associated speed checking app a few seconds later, my true speed is around 9 mps.

Linchar08@yahoo.com 01-05-2020 10:14 AM

Lulu

I have fire sticks on 3 tv’s. I pay $45 for WiFi, $55 for Hulu live on one tv, Netflix and Amazon prime. I’m very happy with these services and way cheaper than cable or Direct tv.

John_W 01-05-2020 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by russoncindy (Post 1707361)
I believe CenturyLink is somewhat optimistic in their speed ratings. On my system Century tells me 40mps download, using a non-associated speed checking app a few seconds later, my true speed is around 9 mps.

Maybe that site only works on Century Link users correctly, mine readings come out exactly to what I have. I pay for 10 mpbs.

PING
ms

ms
DOWNLOAD

Dfc3239 01-05-2020 01:10 PM

Many times buffering has to do with internet speed. Download cat/mouse app thru the troypoint app or other sites. It gives u great movies. Hope this helps

russoncindy 01-05-2020 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Heyitsrick (Post 1707325)
Just curious - why can't you just pay the few bucks to watch a movie online vs. "pirating" (accessing premium content without paying) copyrighted content?

I've heard all of the excuses/rationalizations for why people stream premium content without paying. They range from "it's digital - it's not really stealing!", to "they charge too much for movies!", to "these companies rip us off all the time!", to "I can't afford to pay!", to "I'm sticking it to the man!" (whoever that is), etc. None of these types of excuses are valid reasons to avoid paying for premium content. People do it because they can.

And by the way, if someone really can't afford $5 to watch a movie online, they absolutely need to redirect their efforts away from pursuing online video entertainment. They have more pressing issues. Plus, there are many, many popular free movies available online now that are supported by added commercials.

Streaming pirated content is taking income from the copyright holders and/or license holders - the ones who actually took the $$$ risks in creating and legally distributing the content. And the thing is, I really don't have to explain this. Everyone knows it, regardless of the excuses they give to try and justify the behavior.

You make a number of good points however a) "paying a few bucks to watch a movie" can work out to quite a bit, say average $5 for a movie x 20 nights (that you don't hit the square for the free entertainment) a month = $100 and b) I think you would have to admit that some companies, Directv in particular, are gouging their subscribers in a desperate effort to stay alive. Only their takeover by AT&T has kept them afloat this long. I understand that they will soon change their business model to 'net streaming. The reason that I use Kodi (rarely) is the challenge. In spite of what some may say, getting a movie (which isn't fuzzy, is in English and doesn't have strange ads for gambling) and viewing it to its conclusion using Kodi can be a very challenging and time consuming affair.
Admittedly item a) above can be avoided by using Roku or Amazon TV Firestick as I do mostly.

Silver Streak 01-06-2020 10:52 AM

The reason that I use Kodi (rarely) is the challenge.

Um, is that sort of like the challenge of shoplifting (rarely) to see if you can do it without getting caught?

Sorry, I'm not familiar with Kodi but I'm VERY familiar with book piracy (I'm an author) and all the excuses people use for downloading pirated books instead of paying even $1-$5 for something that provides hours of entertainment. Creators need to make a living, too.

W-J-H 01-06-2020 08:12 PM

VPN
Try: ustvgo tv

Use Amazon internet

Marathon Man 01-07-2020 07:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Heyitsrick (Post 1707325)

Well said. :clap2:

Marathon Man 01-07-2020 07:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by russoncindy (Post 1707431)
You make a number of good points however a) "paying a few bucks to watch a movie" can work out to quite a bit, say average $5 for a movie x 20 nights (that you don't hit the square for the free entertainment) a month = $100 and b) I think you would have to admit that some companies, Directv in particular, are gouging their subscribers in a desperate effort to stay alive. Only their takeover by AT&T has kept them afloat this long. I understand that they will soon change their business model to 'net streaming. The reason that I use Kodi (rarely) is the challenge. In spite of what some may say, getting a movie (which isn't fuzzy, is in English and doesn't have strange ads for gambling) and viewing it to its conclusion using Kodi can be a very challenging and time consuming affair.
Admittedly item a) above can be avoided by using Roku or Amazon TV Firestick as I do mostly.

Are you suggesting stealing is justified as long as it is difficult?

gregcharlesnelson@gmail 01-07-2020 08:27 AM

We have Fire stick and stillget the dreaded 'circle' especially close to 6pm

CandB 02-18-2020 05:18 PM

Firestick and buffering problems

First off you really should mave minimum of 50 Mbps and 100Mbps or higher is best. if your having buffereing problems one thing you might check is to see what your WIFI connection is. Most WIFI routers have two outputs 2G and 5G which both have the same password. If on autoconnect and you are on the 2G go to settings and do a forget this connection and do a save this connection for the 5G. The 2G setting gives longer distance on signal and is best for Phone and Ipads since your moving around with them an want to maintain signal. For faster setting use the 5G. If you do a connection to each on your Laptop and do Speedtest by Ookla - The Global Broadband Speed Test you will see that you get double the download speed with the 5G connection up to your ISP speed provided.
One of the first things I do and most support techs will tell you to do is unplug modem/router for a few minutes then plug back in. This resets device and often takes care of most issues. This works also on Firestick.

Firestick is a sure way to cut the cable cord. It used to be Kodi was the way to go but there is so much more out there that is less hassel. Apps for movies and TV series, Apps for cable channels such as USA, TNT, FX, History, Lifetime, ect.. And for you golfers you do not have to pay to get GOLF CHANNEL

With a little time search on Google you will find everything you need and to save you some time check this site out for Firestick
38 Best FireStick Apps (Feb 2020)| Free Movies, Shows, Live TV, Sports

Happy to help anyone with more questions

JoelJohnson 02-19-2020 08:41 AM

Go to "WWW.TroyPoint.com" and follow his advice.

Bethwill 02-19-2020 10:25 AM

Unplug and plug in again.....check Network settings...you could have slow internet and too much on it. You can also call Amazon. They will help you. We have not had cable since Jan 2019. It takes some getting used to, but we have 5 firesticks and DVR cloud with Hulu and live tv. All of our TVs are old, so I'm sure that has something to do with speed issues. It will only get better, and it has dramatically improved in the past year.

NannyO12 02-19-2020 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nucky (Post 1707088)
I'll help you no problemo. It has been my experience that using a Roku device instead of a Firestick solved 98% of the problem I had and you mentioned. Good Luck.

You need to reveal what internet provider and speed of service you have also, that would be helpful in helping you.

Can you get the local channels with Roku? Do you know anything about TV buddy advertised on the Internet? Also I heard there is a support group called how can I get unplugged or something like that. Any information on that?

GJohn 02-19-2020 11:50 AM

Although I've had Kodi for a few years I rarely use it. The app servers are not well supported anymore and quality is pretty poor. Troypoint is a good source for current and popular apps, along with information on downloading some of the apps that may appeal to you. You can subscribe to his emails.
If you have the "Downloader" app installed it's quite easy to add new apps. As VPN's are concerned, they are recommended for hiding your IP address and viewing preferences but can and do slow some streaming. Some of the apps I currently use and work well are, Cinema...TV Zion...Cyberflix....BeeTV and Catmouse.