Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Talk of the Movies (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/talk-movies-127/)
-   -   1917 (2020) (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/talk-movies-127/1917-2020-a-301439/)

Taltarzac725 01-05-2020 09:26 AM

1917 (2020)

1917 (2020) - Rotten Tomatoes

This one looks like it will be quite intense.

I volunteered among veterans at the Veterans Hospital for a year of Saturday afternoons in 1977-1978 in Reno, Nevada. Seem to recall that some of these were from WWI. More from WWII though and even one from the Spanish American war.

Taltarzac725 01-06-2020 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 (Post 1707343)
1917 (2020) - Rotten Tomatoes

This one looks like it will be quite intense.

I volunteered among veterans at the Veterans Hospital for a year of Saturday afternoons in 1977-1978 in Reno, Nevada. Seem to recall that some of these were from WWI. More from WWII though and even one from the Spanish American war.

Golden Globe Winners 2020: Full List of Winners and Nominations for the 77th Golden Globe Awards << Rotten Tomatoes – Movie and TV News

1917 won Golden Globes for Director and Best Picture for Drama. :bigbow:

Taltarzac725 01-13-2020 07:43 PM

Best movie easily I have seen that opened somewhere in the US in 2019. :popcorn::bigbow:

DeanFL 01-14-2020 02:42 PM

Back from seeing 1917 @ Brownwood.

- Theater was packed solid - sold out, of course $5 day.
- I loved 'Saving Private Ryan' (on my top 10 list) so had high hopes for 1917.
- The promise of very few 'cuts/scene changes' intrigued me as well.
- Outstanding sets and production - truly amazing
- Most of the film puts the audience right there with them, very close in the action.
- Did not notice much CGI use throughout
- Biggest negative = the British accents... some very hard to follow...
- Not TOO much gruesome war stuff (if that's a turnoff for you)
- Outstanding acting - esp considering the filming perspective and action
- 2 hours, with much of the time immersing the audience with 'intensiveness'.
- Only twice during the movie did I have 'give me a break' moments

Bottom line SO WORTH seeing, so impactful. I may see it again.

Taltarzac725 01-15-2020 08:38 AM

You should see it with the captions on Monday morning or early afternoon. Only $5 and it helps with the understanding the British accents.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeanFL (Post 1709789)
Back from seeing 1917 @ Brownwood.

- Theater was packed solid - sold out, of course $5 day.
- I loved 'Saving Private Ryan' (on my top 10 list) so had high hopes for 1917.
- The promise of very few 'cuts/scene changes' intrigued me as well.
- Outstanding sets and production - truly amazing
- Most of the film puts the audience right there with them, very close in the action.
- Did not notice much CGI use throughout
- Biggest negative = the British accents... some very hard to follow...
- Not TOO much gruesome war stuff (if that's a turnoff for you)
- Outstanding acting - esp considering the filming perspective and action
- 2 hours, with much of the time immersing the audience with 'intensiveness'.
- Only twice during the movie did I have 'give me a break' moments

Bottom line SO WORTH seeing, so impactful. I may see it again.

DeanFL 01-15-2020 09:03 AM

I know, once saw an Italian foreign film with captions - and a movie at one of our theaters on Mon with captions.

I found that even though I (mostly) understood the dialog, I missed the full visuals and my eyes were tired at the end...moving up and down for 1.5 hours. :loco: and my pea-brain trying to keep up processing the text-reading while processing the visuals while listening to the sounds while negating the foreign yada while chewing popcorn while.... you get it, life is tough in The Villages. :shrug:

Taltarzac725 01-15-2020 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeanFL (Post 1709931)
I know, once saw an Italian foreign film with captions - and a movie at one of our theaters on Mon with captions.

I found that even though I (mostly) understood the dialog, I missed the full visuals and my eyes were tired at the end...moving up and down for 1.5 hours. :loco: and my pea-brain trying to keep up processing the text-reading while processing the visuals while listening to the sounds while negating the foreign yada while chewing popcorn while.... you get it, life is tough in The Villages. :shrug:

That makes sense. I am used to captioning as I usually put it on for any Blu-Ray or DVD I watch. Just so I am sure about what I just heard.

I will probably see 1917 again before it leaves so that I can catch anything I might have missed during the first viewing.

With Saving Private Ryan I saw that about six times in the theaters but that was when they had $5 movies or even less in many places along US 19 in Clearwater up to New Port Richey in the Tampa Bay area.

Taltarzac725 01-17-2020 10:02 AM

Dean-Charles Chapman - Rotten Tomatoes

Noticed the one of the two men who play the leads in 2017 was Tommen Baratheon the very young King in Game of Thrones.

Tommen Baratheon | Game of Thrones Wiki | Fandom

chachacha 01-30-2020 03:36 PM

It certainly was two hours and nine minutes of riveting fear! Very realistic. I didn't dare go to the ladies' room for fear of missing something! A reminder of the horrible conditions soldiers endured during a time when deployments were not usually six months, but rather until the war was over! Unimaginable to live with that fear and mud and death for a four year period. May they all rest in peace.