Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Medical and Health Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/medical-health-discussion-94/)
-   -   Thumb joint arthritis (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/medical-health-discussion-94/thumb-joint-arthritis-301476/)

jojo 01-06-2020 12:34 PM

Thumb joint arthritis

Has anyone had successful treatment for arthritis in the thumb joint? I am missing tennis and golf as well as problems cooking. I am currently wearing a brace but it's not helping.

Two Bills 01-06-2020 12:43 PM

My wife took up knitting again when her thumbs got bad, as she found that immobility made them worse.
Initially you have to work through the pain, but the improvement was quite remarkable.
She also takes Green Lipped Mussel extract, and that has helped as well.
Worked for her.

Chatbrat 01-06-2020 01:09 PM

Both the Admiral & myself, use Dr. David Feiner, he is in Clermont--I get shots as needed--he spends a lot of time with his patients- is younger and knows the latest techniques--the Admiral also uses diclofenac sodium gel 1% on her thumb--she plays pickle ball, masters tennis & goes to a power class @ MVP

ureout 01-06-2020 02:32 PM

I went to Dr Cynthia Harding in Lady Lake... she helped me with a shot and feels great now.. don't be alarmed she doesn't have your typical Dr's office.. she has her pet dogs there... I read a lot of reviews and everyone had nothing but good things to say

Fredman 01-06-2020 02:35 PM

Thumb problem

Had the same problem and got shots but after a while they no longer worked. Had surgery in September and i am still taking pt. It is a long recovery period

Investment Painting Contractors 01-06-2020 02:49 PM

Thumb

Quote:

Originally Posted by jojo (Post 1707704)
Has anyone had successful treatment for arthritis in the thumb joint? I am missing tennis and golf as well as problems cooking. I am currently wearing a brace but it's not helping.

I was treated locally for arthritis, shots every 2-3 months. Got tired of this and went to Mayo Clinic to DR Peter Murry. He diagnosed Trigger Finger after giving me an X Ray, which none of the "Shot Doctors" of the Villages did. He froze my thumb area and gave me a series of shots to loosen up the constriction. That was over 5 years ago and no problem since. Good Luck JOJO I hope you find relief. Len

Chatbrat 01-06-2020 02:56 PM

The Admiral & myself went to Dr. Hardings office, we never saw her , saw a PA & an associate--the office is always packed, no x-ray in the office--we decided to venture outside the bubble, it works for us

Chatbrat 01-06-2020 02:59 PM

Also trigger finger is TOTALLY different from arthritic joint pain--how do I know--I have had trigger finger release surgery

Investment Painting Contractors 01-06-2020 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chatbrat (Post 1707740)
Also trigger finger is TOTALLY different from arthritic joint pain--how do I know--I have had trigger finger release surgery

My Point exactly I was treated for arthritis for 2 years in the Villages, I had Trigger Finger which is completely different. Once diagnosed correctly and treated properly It was fixed. I wonder how many people are diagnosed wrong.

jojo 01-06-2020 03:31 PM

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm open to anything.

Arlington2 01-06-2020 06:20 PM

An alternative treatment is a TENS (Transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation) device. I have thumb and finger arthritis and I self treat with a TENS device at 2 to 3 to 4 week intervals whenever it starts to cause me too much discomfort. A day later the arthritis pain is totally gone. I was initially concerned about the "electrocution" as stated by the naysayers, but I checked with my cardiologist because I have AFIB. He said it is a proven treatment and to go ahead. TENS devices are very reasonably priced on Amazon.

jojo 01-06-2020 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arlington2 (Post 1707791)
An alternative treatment is a TENS (Transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation) device. I have thumb and finger arthritis and I self treat with a TENS device at 2 to 3 to 4 week intervals whenever it starts to cause me too much discomfort. A day later the arthritis pain is totally gone. I was initially concerned about the "electrocution" as stated by the naysayers, but I checked with my cardiologist because I have AFIB. He said it is a proven treatment and to go ahead. TENS devices are very reasonably priced on Amazon.

That is interesting. Thanks.

jandr 01-07-2020 07:51 AM

I've had pretty good luck using Arnica Gel.

Quote:

You can get Arnica Gel at CVS, Target, etc. for about $10/tube. It's helped me.

wucci 01-07-2020 08:22 AM

Quote:

I use Catherine
Sullivan specialty health care for my problem that turned out to be sudo gout.

Pommom91 01-07-2020 08:27 AM

Thumb Arthritis

I have heard that a lot of people have had success with CBD balm.