Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Medical and Health Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/medical-health-discussion-94/)
-   -   Doc that accepts Medicare (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/medical-health-discussion-94/doc-accepts-medicare-301484/)

JoMar 01-06-2020 03:44 PM

Doc that accepts Medicare

Thanks to Verizon and UHC (and TVHC, IMO, also some culpability)my wife has found herself in need of a doctor that accepts Medicare patients. Any recommendation?

retiredguy123 01-06-2020 03:52 PM

You need to be more specific. Almost all doctors in the area accept Medicare. Otherwise, they would be out of business.

Villageswimmer 01-06-2020 05:46 PM

We have yet to find one who doesn’t.

villagetinker 01-06-2020 05:58 PM

If you do not mind the drive, we use Central Florida Health care, Dr. Lichtinger 352-360-0400, office is in Leesburg, route 27 just south of Lake Harris. Both myself and my wife like him very much.

Northwoods 01-06-2020 08:45 PM

Could you explain the situation? Why is it Verizon, UHC and TVH fault that your wife now needs a Doctor that takes Medicare?

papasetti82 01-07-2020 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoMar (Post 1707753)
Thanks to Verizon and UHC (and TVHC, IMO, also some culpability)my wife has found herself in need of a doctor that accepts Medicare patients. Any recommendation?

Physician Compare

You're Welcome.

JoMar 01-07-2020 07:02 PM

Wife cancelled her health insurance with Verizon because they were switching to Aetna. Evidently Verizon did not cancel the prescription portion so Medicare treated that as an insurance company and turned down her application from Villages Health and of course since we are past the window she reverts to basic medicare. Two days of phone calls and nobody is budging so now basic medicare until October when she will reapply to get back into the system. Costs will go up for us since basic medicare only pays 80% so hoping she won't have any issues till then. TVH has been cooperating but their hands are tied. Wife is ok with it which means I'm ok with it.....:). Tinkerer thanks for the recommendation, I have passed it on to her

Northwoods 01-07-2020 07:37 PM

Ah... well that sucks. Good that it's only a year.

epoch 01-07-2020 08:21 PM

if the prescription part caused the issue, try getting a supplement

Mmarr 01-08-2020 06:15 AM

99% of all doctors accept medicare..pick phone up and call..

HappyRetired 01-08-2020 08:05 AM

When I signed up for an Advantage Plan (previously on regular Medicare), I was told the new company would handle cancelling previous insurance. If not, she could have called and cancelled on her own. Seems to me that this might qualify for an exception to the window. Check with the Insurance offices near TVHC to see why UHC didn't follow through.

villagetinker 01-08-2020 01:09 PM

OP, try contacting SHINE, SHINE - Home they provide unbiased health care information and may be able to help you in this situation. We have found them very helpful in the past.

JoMar 01-08-2020 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by villagetinker (Post 1708265)
OP, try contacting SHINE, SHINE - Home they provide unbiased health care information and may be able to help you in this situation. We have found them very helpful in the past.

She contacted your recommendation and has an appointment. Thanks. She will most likely return to UHC when the open enrollment comes around in October.

JoMar 01-08-2020 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HappyRetired (Post 1708177)
When I signed up for an Advantage Plan (previously on regular Medicare), I was told the new company would handle cancelling previous insurance. If not, she could have called and cancelled on her own. Seems to me that this might qualify for an exception to the window. Check with the Insurance offices near TVHC to see why UHC didn't follow through.

UHC did follow through, Medicare had the prescription drug company listed as an insurance company and Verizon did not cancel that portion of her coverage. UHC didn't get the cancellation from medicare until last week. Everyone is still working on it but she isn't optomistic.
Verizon won't talk to her since they have her not part of their plan plus getting through to anyone that can do anything is impossible. Since my wife is in pretty good health she should be ok until October.

rdwalls 01-08-2020 03:07 PM

Dr. Ravi Gupta, Internal Medicine - Mid Florida Primary Care - Leesburg
(352) 728-4242 Great Doctor and knows how to listen.