Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Contractors and Services (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/contractors-services-91/)
-   -   Burleson HVAC (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/contractors-services-91/burleson-hvac-301691/)

Mosells 01-13-2020 11:46 AM

Burleson HVAC

My home warranty AHS has dispatched Burleson to repair my a/c. Their reviews are terrible, but I have no choice. Anyone have experience with Burleson in particular and AHS in general for a/c running not blowing cold air.
Sure would like some sound advice.

Chatbrat 01-13-2020 12:08 PM

That is why they work for AHS, NO reputable company works for these home warranty firms, if they come up with a story that will cost you $$, call Chuck Farrell

EdFNJ 01-13-2020 12:22 PM

When we first moved in on 2/1/17 we bought an AHS policy, had an A/C issue 45 days later and they sent some clown from ORLANDO who didn't know his azz from his elbow. He replaced the condenser fan (I told him that wasn't the problem) problem continued. Called him back and he was P1SSED because he doesn't get paid for "return visits" and said drain was bloocked (it was not) so he cleaned it. I then told him to (literally) get lost. Next day I cancelled policy. Cost me a $100 deductible on his useless visit then I fixed it myself for $18 (replaced relay and capacitor) and has been fine ever since (3 years on Feb 1). I did get a new, unneeded and noisier fan out of it.

CWGUY 01-13-2020 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mosells (Post 1709466)
My home warranty AHS has dispatched Burleson to repair my a/c. Their reviews are terrible, but I have no choice. Anyone have experience with Burleson in particular and AHS in general for a/c running not blowing cold air.
Sure would like some sound advice.

:icon_wink: Do yourself a favor and call Chuck Farrell. Sounds like a start capacitor on outside unit. Do a search on this site.

Mosells 01-13-2020 12:53 PM

I’ve already called chuck as my backup.

Mosells 01-13-2020 12:58 PM

Ed, I’m prepared to boot them if anything doesn’t make sense, and going with chuck. BTW, i had a/c issue in 1/2019 and the part was replaced by another HVAC company via AHS. Thanks for your reply.

retiredguy123 01-13-2020 04:23 PM

I really don't understand why anyone would buy a home warranty, and I think that real estate agents should stop promoting them by asking sellers to buy a warranty as a way to sell their listed houses. Shame on them. A home warranty is one of the worst products on the market. These warranty companies are merely call centers who recruit substandard contractors to create an illusion that they are helping homeowners to maintain their house. No reputable contractor would be interested in sharing their profits with a call center. These warranty companies make enormous profits by deceiving and cheating homeowners. If something breaks down in your house, you should call a local contractor who has good ratings and really cares about doing a good job for you. Contractors who don't, either go out of business or go to work for a home warranty company. Excuse my rant.

Pedrocarrasco01@yahoo.com 01-14-2020 07:44 AM

Don’t forget that Real Estate agents gets a commission on adding these

Quote:

Originally Posted by retiredguy123 (Post 1709510)
I really don't understand why anyone would buy a home warranty, and I think that real estate agents should stop promoting them by asking sellers to buy a warranty as a way to sell their listed houses. Shame on them. A home warranty is one of the worst products on the market. These warranty companies are merely call centers who recruit substandard contractors to create an illusion that they are helping homeowners to maintain their house. No reputable contractor would be interested in sharing their profits with a call center. These warranty companies make enormous profits by deceiving and cheating homeowners. If something breaks down in your house, you should call a local contractor who has good ratings and really cares about doing a good job for you. Contractors who don't, either go out of business or go to work for a home warranty company. Excuse my rant.

Don’t forget that Real Estate agents get a commission on selling these

dougjb 01-14-2020 07:51 AM

I could not agree more. AHS is a total rip off and has been the subject of numerous class action law suits for only authorizing minimal repairs on major appliances. In my own instance up north, I had an aging heat pump (A/C and heat) that kept losing coolant. Finally, they authorized a replacement of the interior unit but refused to replace the outside unit which was down to just two coils working and leaking coolant on a regular and expensive basis. When I asked them to do more, they simply said pay for the outside unit myself and that they would give me a credit for the inside unit. The repairmen they had sent quoted me replacement figures of $7,000. Others that AHS recommended came in at $6,500. I finally went with a local HVAC company that charged me $4,000 for the inside and outside unit. AHS gave me a credit. Yup, they did....of $650. I would never, ever, ever recommend this fraudulent company to anyone. My only hope is that some government consumer protection agency will shut down this claptrap company whose only mission is to sell an annual policy to consumers and then fail to properly repair what they say they will in a shipshape manner. In my case, I still think of the leaking coolant and its impact upon the environment.

Pedrocarrasco01@yahoo.com 01-14-2020 07:55 AM

My experience with an older home

Quote:

Originally Posted by retiredguy123 (Post 1709510)

I purchased an older home in Boynton Beach Florida, home was 25 years old and appliances looked original, I used Choice Home warranty and had them for 5 years, I agree that they use technicians that are starting out, but they fixed the washer twice, the dryer 3 times, the refrigerator twice, I found the techs to be ok, they diagnosed the problem and fixed it, only had to come back to install it. My home here has a new roof, new AC, appliance suite that is 5 years old so I elected not to get one, but if I did, I would go with Choice again, very receptive and great to work with and by far the most reasonable ($345 yr) with the lowest copayment ($45) of all that I checked

Mosells 01-15-2020 04:10 PM

update Burleson

Teck showed up on time. Diagnosis the problem, copper tube had rubbed and caused a leak. He properly fixed the hole and refilled with Freon. AHS ONLY pays $10 per pound. It took 5 lbs. well they charge $75 per pound. So I had to pay the difference. Did I get ripped, well maybe. The contractor is entitled to make a profit which in this case was substantial. He used 407c which is a generic for R22, a 35 lb can cost $119. But I have cold air. So I intend to drop AHS, end of March. The next issue with the a/c I’ll call Ferral.